Uber

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
No I think you are wrong. Read on oh great on

As found on the net.........lol.

Disney doesn't particularly want you to go resort to resort and yes,it is poorly set up. They don't allow Uber on the park grounds as of yet but you can get a regular cab. Assuming you would have to wait for a bus to a park and then for transportation to the GF-allow at least an hour. That's about the minimum you should always allow for resort to resort

Stop.

LizC

I am a current part-time Uber driver in Orlando.

The Uber app will not allow you to request an Uber on MCO property. What people do to get picked up at the airport is to take a free shuttle to one of the nearby hotels. Once they are at the hotel they will request an Uber. This is perfectly OK. Some people will drop the pin somewhere outside of MCO property and then call the driver and explain that they want to be picked up at the airport. I personally won't pick up someone at the airport if they do this, but others will. I have no problem picking up someone at one of the nearby hotels.

Uber can pick up and drop off anywhere on Disney property. At first, some of the parking booth attendants would ask Uber drivers to pay, but they have stopped that (or at least it happens less frequently). I have an annual pass so I just show that if I need to get through. I have never had any issues. At the MK, pickup and drop-off is easy because there is dedicated 15 minute parking. At the other parks it is a little more tricky, so you need to call your driver to confirm the pickup location.

Taxi rates are $2.40 a mile. Uber's non-surge rates are 75 cents a mile plus 13 cents a minute. An Uber vehicle is almost always cleaner and you will never get taken a longer route than necessary. The downside is that you might have to wait a few minutes for an Uber to show up, whereas taxis are usually waiting for you everywhere on Disney property.

You would think more people would use Uber, but they don't. It's so much easier than taking the buses, and it's not expensive. For example, if you wanted to go from the MK to the Animal Kingdom Lodge you would pay about $20 in a taxi. That same ride would cost about $8 in an Uber, if there was no surge. Even if there was a surge, it has to get to 3.2 in order to get to the same rate as a taxi.

If you do take an Uber, remember that the tip is NOT included. It's not the driver's fault that Uber has not included a tip button. If you can tip the bellman to put a suitcase in your trunk, it is OK to tip the driver who takes your suitcase out of the trunk and drove you safely to your destination. I realize that some readers might find this controversial, but if you can tip a taxi driver why won't you tip an Uber driver? Again, the service is usually superior and the vehicle is much nicer and cleaner. If more people would tip, there would be more drivers, and riders would not have to wait as long when they request a ride.

Also, any rating less than 5 stars means you want your driver fired. No, it doesn't make any sense, but Uber will deactivate drivers with less than a 4.6 rating. So, anything less than 5 stars is unacceptable, according to Uber.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Thank you for this explanation.

What are "surge rates"?

Edit: I googled surge rates. Thanks!

Rob562

Jumping in a bit late on this, but thought I'd throw in one Uber tip that we learned on our trip in June: If you're arriving back at your Disney resort after midnight, have the driver go to the gate for returning guests and have the driver use your MagicBand to open it.

We found out the hard way at about 1:30am that any taxi or car service that *isn't* Mears and stops at the guard shack for entry is subjected to a lot of extra screening and writing down of the driver and car info (driver's license, car make, model, license plate, etc). Our Uber driver was even a part-time Disney CM and was surprised at that. I guess it's good that they're actually screening vehicles coming in, but it was almost 5 minutes sitting there when we just wanted to crawl in bed...

All in all, Uber was great. We used it 6 or 7 times for trips to the grocery/liquor store, an early breakfast at another hotel and to/from events at a nearby non-Disney hotel that we were there for.

-Rob

Last edited:

DManRightHere

The Uber app will not allow you to request an Uber on MCO property. What people do to get picked up at the airport is to take a free shuttle to one of the nearby hotels. Once they are at the hotel they will request an Uber. This is perfectly OK. Some people will drop the pin somewhere outside of MCO property and then call the driver and explain that they want to be picked up at the airport. I personally won't pick up someone at the airport if they do this, but others will. I have no problem picking up someone at one of the nearby hotels.

Uber can pick up and drop off anywhere on Disney property. At first, some of the parking booth attendants would ask Uber drivers to pay, but they have stopped that (or at least it happens less frequently). I have an annual pass so I just show that if I need to get through. I have never had any issues. At the MK, pickup and drop-off is easy because there is dedicated 15 minute parking. At the other parks it is a little more tricky, so you need to call your driver to confirm the pickup location.

Taxi rates are $2.40 a mile. Uber's non-surge rates are 75 cents a mile plus 13 cents a minute. An Uber vehicle is almost always cleaner and you will never get taken a longer route than necessary. The downside is that you might have to wait a few minutes for an Uber to show up, whereas taxis are usually waiting for you everywhere on Disney property.

You would think more people would use Uber, but they don't. It's so much easier than taking the buses, and it's not expensive. For example, if you wanted to go from the MK to the Animal Kingdom Lodge you would pay about $20 in a taxi. That same ride would cost about $8 in an Uber, if there was no surge. Even if there was a surge, it has to get to 3.2 in order to get to the same rate as a taxi.

If you do take an Uber, remember that the tip is NOT included. It's not the driver's fault that Uber has not included a tip button. If you can tip the bellman to put a suitcase in your trunk, it is OK to tip the driver who takes your suitcase out of the trunk and drove you safely to your destination. I realize that some readers might find this controversial, but if you can tip a taxi driver why won't you tip an Uber driver? Again, the service is usually superior and the vehicle is much nicer and cleaner. If more people would tip, there would be more drivers, and riders would not have to wait as long when they request a ride.

Also, any rating less than 5 stars means you want your driver fired. No, it doesn't make any sense, but Uber will deactivate drivers with less than a 4.6 rating. So, anything less than 5 stars is unacceptable, according to Uber.

Thanks for the advertisemeng :p

I am not a fan of Taxis as they can be pricey (as Uber when I researched a 30 mile drivr in Philly), but Taxi's have strict laws fo follow! I'm not sure about Uber.. For example...taking longer routes..

PinnySmart

Great info! We use UBER frequently. While we were in Anaheim UBER was a Godsend. And you are right in that most cars are very clean and comfortable and always better than a cab with a crabby driver. I have heard that they hold drivers to a very high standard and less than favorable reviews will end in the driver being terminated. Is this true? I Have always left 5 stars because I have never had a bad experience. Knock on wood! Thanks again for the insight straight from an UBER drivers mouth.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Great info! We use UBER frequently. While we were in Anaheim UBER was a Godsend. And you are right in that most cars are very clean and comfortable and always better than a cab with a crabby driver. I have heard that they hold drivers to a very high standard and less than favorable reviews will end in the driver being terminated. Is this true? I Have always left 5 stars because I have never had a bad experience. Knock on wood! Thanks again for the insight straight from an UBER drivers mouth.
I've been told that if a driver has a rating under 4.7 stars, that they will be terminated. I've only ever given under 5 stars once. We took an uber from DTD back to BLT. The driver was a youngish girl, 22/23. Her car was filthy. It stunk like cigarettes, and she parked nowhere near our pickup location and we had to walk like .5 a mile. I gave her one star, and quite frankly I hope she gets fired.

Matt_Black

Here's my $0.02- given how popular Uber is with people in a particular segment of the entertainment industry that is fairly well represented in Florida (wink wink nudge nudge say no more), I've a feeling that the airport will eventually buckle.

POLY LOVER

Here's my $0.02- given how popular Uber is with people in a particular segment of the entertainment industry that is fairly well represented in Florida (wink wink nudge nudge say no more), I've a feeling that the airport will eventually buckle.

its about fee's I think UBER will have to pay like Mears does. Mears is proably the biggest obsticle for UBER at MCO. They are not going to pay fees to be onsite and have UBER come in for FREE. So I guess its UBER that will have to cave, if the issue at MCO is fees. UBER will also have to control the quality of the rides being used, if they smell like someone posted that is not going to look good for our tourist industry. Mears runs a clean uniform fleet, uber will have to do the same.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
its about fee's I think UBER will have to pay like Mears does. Mears is proably the biggest obsticle for UBER at MCO. They are not going to pay fees to be onsite and have UBER come in for FREE. So I guess its UBER that will have to cave, if the issue at MCO is fees. UBER will also have to control the quality of the rides being used, if they smell like someone posted that is not going to look good for our tourist industry. Mears runs a clean uniform fleet, uber will have to do the same.
Mears paying fees is its issue, not Uber's. MCO will deal with Uber, or they'll have people working around the restrictions....

The Tuna

Does anyone know what Universal's rules are with Uber? I usually grab a cab over there but it is pricey. Wondering if they let them pick up and drop off at their parks.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Orlando International Airport is suing Uber, ordering its drivers to stay off its property and seeking $150,000 in damages because the ride-sharing company isn't paying any fees.

"There are approximately 600 companies which operate 7,000 vehicles that follow the rules at the airport. Uber is not complying; therefore, the authority has been compelled to file a lawsuit," said Orlando International Director Phil Brown.

No hearing date has been set for the suit.

lRelated
BREAKING NEWS
Mears? Uber? Lyft? How they stack up in comparison test

SEE ALL RELATED

One Uber official would not comment, while another could not be reached. Twelve people who drive for Uber also were named in the suit. Each has been issued a ticket at the airport in recent months.

Uber has been sued by government agencies and competitors in more than a dozen cities for not following the rules about vehicles for hire in those areas. Earlier this month, Uber stopped serving Pittsburgh International Airport after its drivers were issued tickets, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

As usual it's follow the Benjamins because some crony capitalist is not getting their 'cut'.

photomatt

Uber.. For example...taking longer routes..
It is possible for an Uber to take a longer route, but it would be stupid to do so. First, the shortest route appears on the driver's app, and it appears on the rider app on your phone. You can easily follow along as you drive. Second, if there is a major discrepancy, the Uber software will automatically catch it and lower the fare to what it should be. Third, if this doesn't happen, you can send an email and Uber will do the re-rate for you. Fourth, if Uber catches a driver doing this on a regular basis they will be deactivated.

This is one area in which taxis can't compete. You are guaranteed to pay for the shortest route (within reason). Taking a different street that doesn't affect the time or distance won't trigger their safeguards.

I can drive for Uber or Mears whenever I want, so I am not favoring one over the other, even though it might appear that way. This thread is dedicated to Uber, so I'm trying to just talk about Uber (for the most part).

I will say this ONE thing about taxis, and it applies anywhere, not just in Orlando. Don't get in a taxi unless you know where you are and what the shortest route is to your destination. If you don't do this, you have a much higher chance of getting long-hauled. I hear about this all the time when passengers get in my car and ask why we are going a different route than they took before. I then have to explain that I am taking a shorter route. Needless to say, the passengers are not happy. I could write for hours telling stories about this because it happens so often.

Rider beware.

Matt_Black

Heck, you can get shafted by taxis even if you know exactly where to go. Once, I directed a cab on a route that I'd taken via taxi before, and the fare usually came to just under $30. This time, however, once we reach the destination, the cabbie insisted that it was over $50. I got taken for a ride while being taken for a ride!

photomatt

Great info! We use UBER frequently. While we were in Anaheim UBER was a Godsend. And you are right in that most cars are very clean and comfortable and always better than a cab with a crabby driver. I have heard that they hold drivers to a very high standard and less than favorable reviews will end in the driver being terminated. Is this true? I Have always left 5 stars because I have never had a bad experience..
The rating system needs improvement. Although there are 5 options, anything less than 5 stars is unacceptable. If a driver has a rating below 4.6 they will get a warning. If their rating does not improve they will be deactivated.

Here is a problem that I have. Let's say I give 12 rides during a day. Easily, 6 won't bother to give a rating at all. So, my rating is only based on riders who take the one second to do it. Now, let's say the other 6 rate me. Most don't know that anything less than 5 is unacceptable, according to Uber. Because of this, some will give 4 stars thinking it's OK. So, as an example, 3 riders will give 4 stars, 3 riders will give 5 stars, and the other 6 won't rate at all. Based on this example, my rating would be 4.5, which is unacceptable to Uber.

My rating used to be 4.96, which is extremely high. Now it's 4.88, and I have not changed anything with my service, appearance, driving habits or car cleanliness. Uber really needs to re-evaluate their rating system. Until they do, please give your driver a 5 star rating unless there is a problem. If there is any type of issue, then a lower rating is certainly justified, but, if there are no issues, then a 5 star rating is appropriate.

photomatt

Heck, you can get shafted by taxis even if you know exactly where to go. Once, I directed a cab on a route that I'd taken via taxi before, and the fare usually came to just under $30. This time, however, once we reach the destination, the cabbie insisted that it was over $50. I got taken for a ride while being taken for a ride!
A similar thing happened to me in Las Vegas. I used my phone to determine the shortest route and told the driver to take it. I even told the driver that I myself used to drive a taxi (at the time I had not driven a taxi in years). He still missed the exit and tried to long-haul me. Needless to say, it did not end well for him. Think about that, though. I told the driver the shortest route, AND I told him I used to drive a taxi. He still tried to long-haul me. Can you imagine what happens to unprepared tourists?

photomatt

I've been told that if a driver has a rating under 4.7 stars, that they will be terminated. I've only ever given under 5 stars once. We took an uber from DTD back to BLT. The driver was a youngish girl, 22/23. Her car was filthy. It stunk like cigarettes, and she parked nowhere near our pickup location and we had to walk like .5 a mile. I gave her one star, and quite frankly I hope she gets fired.
This is an appropriate rating. ALL Uber cars are non-smoking at all times, even where there are no passengers. She also should have made an attempt to get closer to your location, although, without knowing the whole story, I do know that DTD is a mess right now.

photomatt

The issue in Orlando is the amount of political clout possessed by Mears. In most cities there are multiple taxi companies and healthy competition. In Orlando that is not the case. Mears in an extremely large transportation company, and they are represented by a very influential lobbying firm. To say they are an 800-pound gorilla is an understatement.

Uber could find a way to pay the airport fees. They have done so with many other airports. In Orlando, fees are absolutely not the issue. The issue is Mears, and Mears doesn't want to lose any more business. Mears started in 1932 and their influence is cemented by generations of personal and political connections. Uber's failure to be able to pick up at the airport is the result of "good ol' boy " southern politics that does not favor outsiders. Despite all of this, Uber is eventually going to win. It's just going to be a long, tough battle. They already are fighting many other battles, so I think they just have this one on hold.

In the meantime, if you really want to take an Uber from the airport just take a shuttle to a nearby hotel and request an Uber from there.

photomatt

Does anyone know what Universal's rules are with Uber? I usually grab a cab over there but it is pricey. Wondering if they let them pick up and drop off at their parks.
Universal has no issue with Uber. That is the short answer. If you are at Universal and want an Uber or Lyft you won't have an issue. There is also no issue whatsoever being dropped off there.

The rest of this post is probably more information that you want to know, so only continue if you are bored or want to know more about ridesharing in Florida.

The long answer is that an UberX or Lyft driver is forbidden from picking up within the Orlando city limits, unless they have the proper permits and charge a minimum of $2.40 per mile (based on taxi rates). Universal is in Orlando. Walt Disney World is in Orange County and Osceola County. Orange County has no rules at all regarding taxis, or Uber. Osceola does have rules, but they are rarely enforced.

In January or February of this year the Orlando City Council passed an ordinance that required ridesharing drivers to obtain driver permits and vehicle permits. They also required ridesharing companies to charge the same rates as taxis. So far, Uber and Lyft are ignoring the rules. I have a driver permit because I drive for Mears. If I wanted to get a driver permit that said I drove for Uber I couldn't get one. The reason is that Uber has to sign the application, but they won't. They won't sign it because Uber wants to handle the permitting process on their own. They don't want potential drivers to have to actually go downtown, wait in line, and fill out an application. Orlando is currently working on an online permitting process, but I don't know when that will be operational.

I also can't get a vehicle permit. To make a very long story short, Uber's insurance does NOT meet the Florida requirements. Since Uber's insurance does not meet the FL minimums at all times, Orlando won't issue a permit. This only applies to UberX, Uber Select and Lyft. UberXL vehicles are required to carry their own commercial insurance which far exceeds FL minimums at all times. This means most UberXL vehicles have vehicle permits. They also usually have driver permits because they are operating their own company and they can sign the permit application based on that.

To be clear, if you are inside an UberX, Uber Select, or Lyft vehicle (or the ride is still in progress) you are covered by a $1 million dollar insurance policy, and that insurance policy is valid in Florida. The insurance and permit issue is based on when a driver is online waiting for a ride request. During that period the insurance provided does not meet FL minimum requirements. Technically, this means ridesharing is illegal in the entire state, but the media won't report that and no one is enforcing it. It's still all true, and you heard it here first.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom