Uber

TXDisney

Original Poster
I'm from Texas and we use über quite a bit here. Very safe responsible way to get home if you've been drinking. Similar to a cab just cheaper and faster for those who have never heard of it. My question is... Does Disney allow uber to pick you up or drop you off at Parks? If so do you have to pay for parking even though you're just getting dropped off? We have an early December trip we just booked and it's off site, this is why I ask. Thanks in advance.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I'm from Texas and we use über quite a bit here. Very safe responsible way to get home if you've been drinking. Similar to a cab just cheaper and faster for those who have never heard of it. My question is... Does Disney allow uber to pick you up or drop you off at Parks? If so do you have to pay for parking even though you're just getting dropped off? We have an early December trip we just booked and it's off site, this is why I ask. Thanks in advance.
I just returned from WDW, we used Uber a lot. They picked us up from hotels and parks. They pick up at the taxi areas. Much cheaper then Mears and WAY faster then Disney transportation.

POLY LOVER

From what I understand they are not allowed in the airports. I also have friend that used them and the driver told them they were not allowed in Disney although it's hard for them to know they are uber drivers. She was able to use uber and get in undetected.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
From what I understand they are not allowed in the airports. I also have friend that used them and the driver told them they were not allowed in Disney although it's hard for them to know they are uber drivers. She was able to use uber and get in undetected.

Everything written here is wrong.

They are allowed at the airports. They aren't allowed to pick up at the airport though. Drop off is fine.

Disney is also fine with Uber. I used the service 3 days ago.

Please don't spread misinformation.

WhatJaneSays

They are allowed at the airports. They aren't allowed to pick up at the airport though. Drop off is fine.
Why wouldn't they be allowed to pick up from the airport? Just curious because I don't see how an Uber pick up would be any different than having anyone pick you up there.

TP2000

Has Orlando MCO really not allowed Uber?!? I would think the political climate in Florida would allow Uber, since Uber is allowed at LAX and SFO and all other California airports.

I use Uber all the time now, and it allows me to have that second cocktail and/or get the bottle instead of just wine by the glass when out to dinner. I use Uber a lot for travel to/from West Coast airports and around cities. I have always rented a car at WDW, but I hadn't thought of doing Uber there instead. If it's working there, I would totally do that. The ban on Uber to/from MCO would be a deal breaker though.

Walt Disney was a huge proponent of the American Free Enterprise system. If WDW management was trying to ban Uber that would be a real slap in the face of free enterprise and modernity.

TP2000

A quick Google brought some disappointing results. Uber is under attack by the MCO Airport Authority and is being taken to court. The MCO bureaucrats don't want Uber on their property and are trying to get Uber drivers banned from pick ups and drop offs. Boo!

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...r-orlando-airport-lawsuit-20150423-story.html

Fascinating that in a politically right of center state like Florida they are still trying to ban Uber from airports. Meanwhile, in states and cities that are much more left of center than Florida (like here in Southern California), airports and civic governments have listened to their citizens and allowed Uber to service all major airports.

Up with Uber, up with freedom and personal liberty! :)

POLY LOVER

Consider the source and all that....
No I think you are wrong. Read on oh great on

As found on the net.........lol.

Disney doesn't particularly want you to go resort to resort and yes,it is poorly set up. They don't allow Uber on the park grounds as of yet but you can get a regular cab. Assuming you would have to wait for a bus to a park and then for transportation to the GF-allow at least an hour. That's about the minimum you should always allow for resort to resort

POLY LOVER

Orlando International Airport is suing Uber, ordering its drivers to stay off its property and seeking $150,000 in damages because the ride-sharing company isn't paying any fees.

"There are approximately 600 companies which operate 7,000 vehicles that follow the rules at the airport. Uber is not complying; therefore, the authority has been compelled to file a lawsuit," said Orlando International Director Phil Brown.

No hearing date has been set for the suit.

lRelated
BREAKING NEWS
Mears? Uber? Lyft? How they stack up in comparison test

SEE ALL RELATED

One Uber official would not comment, while another could not be reached. Twelve people who drive for Uber also were named in the suit. Each has been issued a ticket at the airport in recent months.

Uber has been sued by government agencies and competitors in more than a dozen cities for not following the rules about vehicles for hire in those areas. Earlier this month, Uber stopped serving Pittsburgh International Airport after its drivers were issued tickets, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Orlando International Airport is suing Uber, ordering its drivers to stay off its property and seeking $150,000 in damages because the ride-sharing company isn't paying any fees.

"There are approximately 600 companies which operate 7,000 vehicles that follow the rules at the airport. Uber is not complying; therefore, the authority has been compelled to file a lawsuit," said Orlando International Director Phil Brown.

No hearing date has been set for the suit.

lRelated
BREAKING NEWS
Mears? Uber? Lyft? How they stack up in comparison test

SEE ALL RELATED

One Uber official would not comment, while another could not be reached. Twelve people who drive for Uber also were named in the suit. Each has been issued a ticket at the airport in recent months.

Uber has been sued by government agencies and competitors in more than a dozen cities for not following the rules about vehicles for hire in those areas. Earlier this month, Uber stopped serving Pittsburgh International Airport after its drivers were issued tickets, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
Good of you to piggy back on someone else's post, but that's only one airport....

And taxis go to WDW already, so I think Mears and TDO are comfortable....

photomatt

I am a current part-time Uber driver in Orlando.

The Uber app will not allow you to request an Uber on MCO property. What people do to get picked up at the airport is to take a free shuttle to one of the nearby hotels. Once they are at the hotel they will request an Uber. This is perfectly OK. Some people will drop the pin somewhere outside of MCO property and then call the driver and explain that they want to be picked up at the airport. I personally won't pick up someone at the airport if they do this, but others will. I have no problem picking up someone at one of the nearby hotels.

Uber can pick up and drop off anywhere on Disney property. At first, some of the parking booth attendants would ask Uber drivers to pay, but they have stopped that (or at least it happens less frequently). I have an annual pass so I just show that if I need to get through. I have never had any issues. At the MK, pickup and drop-off is easy because there is dedicated 15 minute parking. At the other parks it is a little more tricky, so you need to call your driver to confirm the pickup location.

Taxi rates are $2.40 a mile. Uber's non-surge rates are 75 cents a mile plus 13 cents a minute. An Uber vehicle is almost always cleaner and you will never get taken a longer route than necessary. The downside is that you might have to wait a few minutes for an Uber to show up, whereas taxis are usually waiting for you everywhere on Disney property.

You would think more people would use Uber, but they don't. It's so much easier than taking the buses, and it's not expensive. For example, if you wanted to go from the MK to the Animal Kingdom Lodge you would pay about $20 in a taxi. That same ride would cost about $8 in an Uber, if there was no surge. Even if there was a surge, it has to get to 3.2 in order to get to the same rate as a taxi.

If you do take an Uber, remember that the tip is NOT included. It's not the driver's fault that Uber has not included a tip button. If you can tip the bellman to put a suitcase in your trunk, it is OK to tip the driver who takes your suitcase out of the trunk and drove you safely to your destination. I realize that some readers might find this controversial, but if you can tip a taxi driver why won't you tip an Uber driver? Again, the service is usually superior and the vehicle is much nicer and cleaner. If more people would tip, there would be more drivers, and riders would not have to wait as long when they request a ride.

Also, any rating less than 5 stars means you want your driver fired. No, it doesn't make any sense, but Uber will deactivate drivers with less than a 4.6 rating. So, anything less than 5 stars is unacceptable, according to Uber.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

I can't speak for Disney although except for getting the licensed cab drivers ticked off at them, I don't think they would care who brought them in.

As for the Airports. All cab companies pay fee's to line up at an airport. They pay those fee's to the Airport or the commission. Uber, is not inclined to pay those fees and they are not licensed and registered cabs. They don't know who is driving the cabs, what problems could come up that would make them liable if something bad happens, no organization to attach the liability too. That is why they don't want them picking up. They have no control over who brings people there, but, they have a lot of control and they exercise it, when it comes to who is sanctioned to pick up passengers leaving the Airport. This isn't just something that happens in Florida. To my knowledge it happens in every airport in the US. I know it does here in Raleigh.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom