Uber/Lyft Viable?

5thGenTexan

Original Poster
To keep costs reasonable I am looking at lodging offsite, in the Disney Springs area or Flamingo Crossing area.

Renting a car will in many cases have a parking fee at the hotel, at the parks, and whatever the rental fee is. In addition to that is the stress of driving in traffic in an unfamiliar area. The fee for Uber/Lyft seems to be a better value.

BUT, us Uber/Lyft a viable and reliable method to get around the area? I have never used either, (my wife has when out of time a few times). If I can't or won't drive somewhere around DFW, I just don't go there. I am willing to let go of control if saves us a lot of money and it really works.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
It's definitely a reasonably option, especially with MK, when they can drop you off at the contemporary, and you just walk across the street.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
It's definitely a reasonably option, especially with MK, when they can drop you off at the contemporary, and you just walk across the street.
Ride share drivers are currently not allowed to drop off at the Contemporary, unless passengers are guests of the resort or have a dining ADR.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Ride share drivers are currently not allowed to drop off at the Contemporary, unless passengers are guests of the resort or have a dining ADR.
That hasn't stopped them from dropping off people there, or specifically on World Drive in front of the Contemporary.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
That hasn't stopped them from dropping off people there, or specifically on World Drive in front of the Contemporary.
And I have witnessed police encounters with drivers and passengers who were dropped off on World Drive in front of the resort.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
And I have witnessed police encounters with drivers and passengers who were dropped off on World Drive in front of the resort.
Even though I've only used Disney transportation at WDW, I'm curious to know where the ride share vehicles are supposed to drop off their riders, if not at the Contemporary area? Is there a designated area in the main MK parking lot. for example?

Club Cooloholic

To keep costs reasonable I am looking at lodging offsite, in the Disney Springs area or Flamingo Crossing area.

Renting a car will in many cases have a parking fee at the hotel, at the parks, and whatever the rental fee is. In addition to that is the stress of driving in traffic in an unfamiliar area. The fee for Uber/Lyft seems to be a better value.

BUT, us Uber/Lyft a viable and reliable method to get around the area? I have never used either, (my wife has when out of time a few times). If I can't or won't drive somewhere around DFW, I just don't go there. I am willing to let go of control if saves us a lot of money and it really works.
Yup you totally can. When we never used it at WDW we have at Universal. We could walk to parks but we used it to go off-site and the prices were reasonable. That said it all depends how far off site you are and it could add up. Couple in the fact if you have a car you can mitigate some expenses by eating off site which is easier to get to with a rental. For what it's worth, I keep checking rental car prices and it just dropped $200 for my trip next week.

lewisc

Posters have reported paying double and sometimes almost triple normal pricing at park open and closing. You can wait and hope dynamic pricing goes down

5thGenTexan

Original Poster
Yup you totally can. When we never used it at WDW we have at Universal. We could walk to parks but we used it to go off-site and the prices were reasonable. That said it all depends how far off site you are and it could add up. Couple in the fact if you have a car you can mitigate some expenses by eating off site which is easier to get to with a rental. For what it's worth, I keep checking rental car prices and it just dropped $200 for my trip next week.

I am looking at Disney Springs hotels. Looks like a daily parking fee each day at those hotels. So, with a car rental and paying for parking we wouldnt save as much. I have considered renting a car though.

senor_jorge

Barbara Eden+? Bring it!!
I am looking at Disney Springs hotels. Looks like a daily parking fee each day at those hotels. So, with a car rental and paying for parking we wouldnt save as much. I have considered renting a car though.

My wife is in Orlando for business often. When a large convention is in town rates can be insane. Cars can also be difficult to come by, but that has improved some over the last six months.

zappy

We used a car service from MCO to the hotel on our last trip but from the research I did (pulling up the uber app around lunchtime each day) getting a car seemed pretty easy as most waits were under 10 minutes. The only roll of the dice are families that needed ubers with a car seat for their little ones. Sometimes it was a 10 minutes wait and other times all cars were spoken for.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom