Typical late October crowds (Pre-COVID)

G00fyDad

So we have always gone in late September to early October. Since 2000 the crowd sizes at Disney World have steadily gotten larger at that time of the year. We've decided to move our trip next year to October 21st to the 29th. Can someone who has gone closer to Halloween please give me an idea if the crowds die off a little bit or are the parks still moderately packed? This will be the following week after Columbus Day weekend. October 2020 is a wash because of covid restrictions. However, I fully expect the parks to be back to their normal capacity and normal operating schedules by October next year. So what are the crowds like on the last week of October?

jaklgreen

There are some that do not.
That is evident when businesses have had to close or cannot return to full hours/capacity even though they are allowed to because they cannot get people to fill the jobs.
I understand that not every job is right for every person but its not for lack of companies currently looking for workers.

I think that a lot of lower paying jobs, people are not going back to because they have been making more on unemployment. Companies are finally seeing that they actually have to pay people to get them to come back to work. Our closest McDonalds had a sign up a few months ago saying that they are hiring managers for up to $15/hour, which is laughable. Now, the sign says that they are hiring all shifts for up to $17/hour. It is a very busy McDonalds in a nice area and they can more then afford to pay people at least $15/hour. I know most of the Country is having the same issue with people in these jobs not going back to work. They have either moved on, or don't want to work for such little money anymore.

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I think that a lot of lower paying jobs, people are not going back to because they have been making more on unemployment. Companies are finally seeing that they actually have to pay people to get them to come back to work. Our closest McDonalds had a sign up a few months ago saying that they are hiring managers for up to $15/hour, which is laughable. Now, the sign says that they are hiring all shifts for up to $17/hour. It is a very busy McDonalds in a nice area and they can more then afford to pay people at least $15/hour. I know most of the Country is having the same issue with people in these jobs not going back to work. They have either moved on, or don't want to work for such little money anymore.

Completely agree that this is why people are not jumping back into work.
Who was going to pass up $700 a week a year ago especially if they were only making half that after taxes at their minimum wage job.
That's where the "taking advantage of the system" comes into play.
I think the main reason companies like McDonald's pay so low is because many of the employees are high school/college aged kids so in the past they really didn't HAVE to pay them a living wage with benefits.
Now a days there are plenty of people that would make a career out of something like McDonalds (and there's nothing wrong with that as I feel like we have gone through the "everyone must go to college" phase and are now leaning towards more skilled labor/customer service types of jobs being in higher need.)
I think the industry is finally catching up with that fact and reluctantly starting to pay a reasonable wage. So people need to get back out there and fill the positions!

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

Completely agree that this is why people are not jumping back into work.
Who was going to pass up $700 a week a year ago especially if they were only making half that after taxes at their minimum wage job.
That's where the "taking advantage of the system" comes into play.
I think the main reason companies like McDonald's pay so low is because many of the employees are high school/college aged kids so in the past they really didn't HAVE to pay them a living wage with benefits.
Now a days there are plenty of people that would make a career out of something like McDonalds (and there's nothing wrong with that as I feel like we have gone through the "everyone must go to college" phase and are now leaning towards more skilled labor/customer service types of jobs being in higher need.)
I think the industry is finally catching up with that fact and reluctantly starting to pay a reasonable wage. So people need to get back out there and fill the positions!

That is a common misconception that most employees are high school/college aged kids. Yes, there are plenty, but the people that work the day shift, are adults. Same with grocery stores, the young are the night/weekend cashiers and baggers, but everyone else, days and the departments are all adults that make that their full time job. Plus it is different depending on where in the State you live. Some places have very low unemployment and teens find it very hard to find any kind of jobs, even those at McDonalds. Saying these jobs are mostly teens is the excuse that everyone swallows to justify not paying more.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Well I just tried to book. I said this on another thread. Unless you can afford a high end resort, there is nothing available.

Not completely accurate. Disney seems to release rooms here and there.
I had to look for several days to get ASMo for mid November. I was able to secure my reservation and now for the fun of it I look once a day and one time not much is available and the next time there is.
I'd say keep checking.

Upvote 0

plawren2

lack of affordable childcare is also an issue for many

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

lack of affordable childcare is also an issue for many

But that has ALWAYS been the case. We are talking about the people who are not going back to work. I agree that the whole situation is more complicated then just one issue. But as someone who works these types of jobs, I have heard more people say they are staying home for as long as they can get their unemployment benefits. Frankly, I don't blame them because the alternative for the rest of us was to work on the front line, wearing masks all day, dealing with idiot customers, and being very concerned with getting Covid for a very low pay.

Upvote 0

dsinclair

But that has ALWAYS been the case. We are talking about the people who are not going back to work. I agree that the whole situation is more complicated then just one issue. But as someone who works these types of jobs, I have heard more people say they are staying home for as long as they can get their unemployment benefits. Frankly, I don't blame them because the alternative for the rest of us was to work on the front line, wearing masks all day, dealing with idiot customers, and being very concerned with getting Covid for a very low pay.

No it hasn't.

According to US BLS childcare costs have risen 214% since 1990.

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

No it hasn't.

According to US BLS childcare costs have risen 214% since 1990.

Of course costs have gone up, but so has availability. When my kids were young, there was a big shortage of daycare in our area. People had to be put on waiting lists when the Mom was still pregnant. Going back even further, when I was young, there was hardly any daycares and those were usually run by the Church. Many Moms got together and would just take turns watching each other's kids. There has always been issues with any kind of child care, let alone affordable ones.

Upvote 0

dsinclair

Of course costs have gone up, but so has availability. When my kids were young, there was a big shortage of daycare in our area. People had to be put on waiting lists when the Mom was still pregnant. Going back even further, when I was young, there was hardly any daycares and those were usually run by the Church. Many Moms got together and would just take turns watching each other's kids. There has always been issues with any kind of child care, let alone affordable ones.
Availability has not gone up equal to needs, and costs have gone up precipitously more than wages. Leaving us with less availability at a higher cost relative to earnings.

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

Availability has not gone up equal to needs, and costs have gone up precipitously more than wages. Leaving us with less availability at a higher cost relative to earnings.
But in this context, we are talking about the last year since covid. The costs have not gone up that much since last year. I think more of an issue then cost, is that many daycares have not reopened. I imagine that they are in the same boat as everyone else, can't get people to work there. This pandemic has really highlighted how many people are egregiously underpaid. It all trickles down. I imagine many have realized that it is better for them to just stay at home then go to work and pay for childcare.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom