Two years ago today

SpectroMan

LetsGtDangerous said:
the only kinda funny part of the old one was that line about his mother in law.. other then that, I may be in the minority here, but i'd wish they'd gut that building and put up an entire new attraction.

I loved AE, but agree with you. The humor was very dry and hidden, and sometimes that doens't appeal to people. It always appealed to me: calling a robot SIR and seizing the future with X-S (it sounds very much like excess).

How I truly do miss it.

DarkMeasures

Alien Encounter was great but they really should have used the George Lucas Script. That would have been really really insane. But the big reason for this not happening I guess was because the preshow hosts met a gruesome death at the end.

But for an audience being spared, it may have been a better decision to keep the George Lucas script. Or the Alien movie version.

DisneyFreak529

I never grow tired of seeing this photo! :lol:
Lead the revolt, were right behind you!

I'll lead the revolt against SGE
stitchandme.jpg

CoasterJunkie

If they went with the original Lucas show, it would have been awesome! To inform the uninformed on this sad day...a breif history of the 8 years development of Alien Encounter!

Alien Encounter was originally planned for Disney-MGM Studios and would have been based on THE Alien (Sigourny Weaver and the whole bit). It didn't get too far there. Later, AE was revived for Disneyland's Tomorrowland 2055 and would have replaced DL's Mission to Mars attraction. Of course, TL2055 was cut (At the time, TL2055 was the most expensive project EVER undertaken by WDI). During that time, Geroge Lucas was brought in to help pen a script for a sci-fi show with original characters (the Alien idea had to go when it was moved out of D-MGM).

The original Lucas show went something like this: You went into XS-Tech's (not sure if the name was XS at this point or not, but it was a large, alien coporation) new, underground, bio-research facility. The preshow was going to reuse most, if not all, of the the Mission to Mars Control Room pre-show AA's dressed in clean suits, in what looked like an operating theater as the doctors were hovering over a dead body of...something. After the pre-show you would be ushered into the main theater, seated, and restrained. At this point, the doctors informed you that YOU were the subjects of this experiment! A large, carnivorous, flying, and supposdedly heartless creature was to be teleported into the room and its "feeding patterns" would be studied. Of course, YOU would be the food! Now during the show, the creature realized what was going on, that all of these people in the room with it were there against their will. So in the end, the creature would first kill the main pre-show doctor, and then sacrafice itself to allow all of the Guests to escape.

Yeah, pretty dark. Now TL2055 didn't pan out, but a good idea NEVER dies at WDI. So the idea was transplanted to the Magic Kingdom over in Orlando as part of the New Tomorrowland. Along the way the show was toned down. The pre-show was replaced with a demonstration of teleportation technology. The aliens were made more alien like (the original doctors were all humans employed by this company).

Now during this process, the show was toned down a little TOO much. Phil Hartman supplied the original voice for TOM 2000, later SIR. TOM 2000 had almost the EXACT same script as SIR did in the final version, but the difference between Phil Hartman's delivery and Tim Curry's made a world of difference in setting the mood for the attraction. Phil Hartman's TOM 2000 made it seem like this was going to be a VERY funny show, and guests were very surprised and upset when the show was anything but funny. Tim Curry's SIR Set the tone for the show perfectly by cluing the audience in to the fact that something isn't quite right.

So there's the everybody's history lesson on AE. Discuss.

dxwwf3

CoasterJunkie said:
IPhil Hartman's TOM 2000 made it seem like this was going to be a VERY funny show

But it WAS a very funny show :lol:

But of course I know what you are talking about and Disney definately made an excellent change going to Tim Curry's S.I.R. I actually liked Hartman's version, but S.I.R. was much, much better for the attraction.

While I'm glad we got the version that we got from 1995-2003, I do wish we also could have seen the Lucas version as well. Definately a totally different attraction from AE in a story sense.

MartyMouse

Now forgive me if I’m wrong here but wasn’t the entire re-design (if you can call it that) of Tomorrowland based around the X-S Teach Convention Center concept. It was my understanding that the entire Rocket-Tower Plaza area was serving as a place (in the far-flung-far-out-future) where different species could meet and share ideas. Now how did Stitch (and Buzz Lightyear) fit into that theme? Lilo and Stitch takes place in today’s world not tomorrow. Alien Encounter fit the theme … no it set the theme.

Jekyll Baker

OK, I'm ready to be hated but, these AE vs SGE threads are almost as bad as the Harry Potter rumor threads - both should probably be forbidden.

I had only seen AE once (exactly 1 month before it closed) and to me SGE is simply a toned-down version with movie tie-in/"moichandizing" added. And if anyone has noticed, there are actually very few attractions in MK that are not character or movie driven (again - merchandising possibilities)

goofyfan13

CoasterJunkie said:
The original Lucas show went something like this: You went into XS-Tech's (not sure if the name was XS at this point or not, but it was a large, alien coporation) new, underground, bio-research facility. The preshow was going to reuse most, if not all, of the the Mission to Mars Control Room pre-show AA's dressed in clean suits, in what looked like an operating theater as the doctors were hovering over a dead body of...something. After the pre-show you would be ushered into the main theater, seated, and restrained. At this point, the doctors informed you that YOU were the subjects of this experiment! A large, carnivorous, flying, and supposdedly heartless creature was to be teleported into the room and its "feeding patterns" would be studied. Of course, YOU would be the food! Now during the show, the creature realized what was going on, that all of these people in the room with it were there against their will. So in the end, the creature would first kill the main pre-show doctor, and then sacrafice itself to allow all of the Guests to escape.

Yeah, pretty dark.

Yea, I'd have to agree... :eek: :lookaroun

I'm kinda glad they went with the final version that was done(w/Tim Curry as SIR). It was intense, and I liked that whole "things are not going the way they are supposed to be" story the attraction gave. That original story sounds good and all, but wow, talk about a dark story, maybe a little too dark for Disney, cause that story line almost seems like something you would find at HHN or something of the like. I'm glad I got the show audio of AE on a CD, it gives me my little fixes whenever I need them, obviously not the same, but I can still picture it as long as I close my eyes. :)

"Welcome weary travelers to the great big universe of XS!"
"I've been seized" ---> "Something you ate sir?"
"It's an alien!" ---> "It's my mother-in-law!"
"If you remain perfectly quiet, it probobly won't eat you."

What a great show, it had intensity, a great story, and it had some pretty good humor in it. Too bad it's gone... :(
"Who's blood is this?"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom