Pre-Trip Two Vets set to drag 2 first timers through the world! Project Niece and Nephew Part 1

Alright,

I know i just finished my Trip report for my wife and I's little getaway for hitting 10 years of marriage, but really what am i going to do with myself for the next 278 days and counting.

Here i will go ahead and introduce you to the clan on this trip, and Chronicle what i hope to be a pretty unique surprise!

As ,mentioned in my trip report, the first night there, we called and used the bounce back offer to book a trip for my oldest Niece and Nephew for their First ever trip! This is part of a multi year plan to get everyone to the world to experience it at least once in their life, and hopefully extend the love of the parks to the next generation, as my wife and I have no children of our own, and my Daughter ( step Daughter) is already addicted.

We will be arriving on the 5th of July, and leaving on the 11th of July. This also encompasses my wife's birthday on the 9th. So lets call it a 2 for trip :)

Heres the Motley Crue!

DW- My wife, whos more addicted to the parks than me i think
DN- My Neice Hannah. This will be her very first trip, and shes now 17,
DNF- My Nephew Henry he will be 13 at time of travel.
and of course ME!!!

SO quick story, we are not originally from TN, like everyone here were transplants, Shocker right? for most of the kids lives, we were right on top of them, within 5 minutes, and they were at the house all the time. Then came 2014, when we moved here for work. There have been few and far between trips either for them to come here, or us to go there, but we really haven't had the quality time that we once had with them.

For the longest time, we have wanted to take them, as every time we go, we bring them back something, and they see the photos, and hear the stories, but really have no idea what were talking about. I know deep down, my sister in law would love love love to take them, but just cant financially do it. To me that is where we come in.

My wife and i work hard, and are blessed these days, that finally we can afford to do it!

With that said, there currently is a 3 year plan

2020 Hannah and Henry
2021 My youngest Nephew, and youngest niece
2022 My sister in law adult only trip.

This kills several birds with 1 stone. 2020 puts us there for things opening in 2020, 221 hopefully for some early celebrations for the 50th, and 2022 hopefully most of EPCOT is ready to be launched.

Now July is never a time i say " hey lets go to Disney" No usually you say its really freaking hot outside, wheres the AC??

However, with school being out, in the north, and how unpredictable Maine weather is, we figured July is a safe bet. Lets face it, if they are still going to school in July, there's bigger problems for sure!

Now i must now divulge this information.. No one knows... well my sister inlaw knows, but thats it. My wife went up for a visit a few weeks before we were to go on our small get away trip, and asked her sister if it was OK. She didnt want to offend her, or make her sad because she cant do it for them, so we wanted to make sure we had her blessing to do so, and she said yes so it was on!

On the Drive back we kept awake by brainstorming on how to tell the kids, could we get a custom character call? can we send them something, what can we do? Nothing was coming to us.. Fast forward a week or so, we had gone to dinner, and i mentioned " i wish there was some kind of box subscription thing we could send" so like many times, my DW is so smart! ( no she didn't pay me to say that, however she will agree) She found one, and we started looking at them... Then we decided, Hey!! We can do that, cheaper, and more personal. SO in that came the plan of a box for them all.

2 that will be CONGRATS your going to DISNEY WORLD!!!!

and 2 that say DONT think we forgot you your next!

Now this actually works out in a lot of ways!

My youngest Nephew has some health issues with his legs, and has had to have surgery, so this wait time allows him to fully heal, and make sure hes strong and ready to drag us around for a week ha!

my youngest niece actually just spent the summer with us, so in all reality to be fair to her brothers and sisters that didn't get to come with her.

This is the Plan for the Boxes for the two going this year ( im still brainstorming how to do the " dont think we have forgotten you" boxes)

Letter from their favorite character welcoming them and congratulating them.
Park Maps from each park so they can do some planning and let us know what is a must do for them
Custom videos explaining the ins and outs of each park ( they have no idea what is there, as they haven't been exposed very much to them or even know there are that many)
Disney themed games, and other travel games for the drive
Some sort of early trinket or gift(s), such as a water bottle, blanket, or something else we can get from Shop Disney.
and whatever else we can come up with and fit in the box.

We will be getting their flights as well, so My mother inlaw even gets a break! She will fly down with them, and stay at the house for a week, help my daughter with the dogs and fish and all of that, and keep tabs on the house, and we will take the kiddos on a trip of a lifetime.

So far ive got a first draft of the Letters, i really wish i could find a downloadable template that was just like Walt Disney world stationary, but thus far i haven't.
Now that Disney doesn't do the planning DVDS, i have had to get Creative, and having to do some fancy stuff with YouTube to make up some videos and such to get in the box so they can see what we have got them into!

Another member in another forum here gave me an idea for custom shutterfly books, so im going to look into that with some photos of our last couple trips so they can have some photos of important things in the parks, like dole whips! Ha!

Follow along for all the fun we will have trying to count down a long time, and the building of the boxes!

If you have any ideas along the way shout em out :)

RememberWhen

My wife and I have never stayed above a Value. We are going to feel like royals for a week! I can not wait. I refuse to tell them where we got put, as i want the initial suprise when we pull up, and they walk around to the Animals.
It’s going to be awesome. You’ll love all the extra space. Even if you don’t have an animal view from your room there are lots of places to go see things. The full kitchen and washer and dryer make life easy. I’m so happy for you and so excited for your trip!

Mainahman

Original Poster
It’s going to be awesome. You’ll love all the extra space. Even if you don’t have an animal view from your room there are lots of places to go see things. The full kitchen and washer and dryer make life easy. I’m so happy for you and so excited for your trip!
The space alone is going to be amazing! were standard, but im going to request a restricted Savannah view, and see what happens. The kids will loose it to have animals. I may not sleep just to take it all in. The wife is excited for the giant shower and soaker tub. Shes planning a bath after our drive down and pool day. im so excited its not funny! AK is one of my most favorite themed areas honestly, always wanted and dreamed to stay at AKL proper someday, and then this. I guess there is silver lining in all this covid stuff. Ive been trying to sell my wife on buying into DVC for a while, maybe this taste of luxury will get me closer LOL.

Mainahman

Original Poster
So I've had some time to process the move, pick my jaw up off the ground, and bring it to a reality. I keep going into MDE and pinching myself. This is one of those magical things, that shows that the Disney Difference is still there. Ill never be able to afford it again, so its one of those once in a lifetime upgrades likely. I could of likely ended up anywhere i wanted, but Hey There's Animals at my resort, and well there is that little thing called BREAD SERVICE!!!! Is there a legal limit on that Ha!

In all seriousness however, This trip scared me, as Disney had closed so much, that we weren't sure what was still going to be there. This really re invigorated me, and proved that this will still be an amazing magical moment maker!

cgersic

So I've had some time to process the move, pick my jaw up off the ground, and bring it to a reality. I keep going into MDE and pinching myself. This is one of those magical things, that shows that the Disney Difference is still there. Ill never be able to afford it again, so its one of those once in a lifetime upgrades likely. I could of likely ended up anywhere i wanted, but Hey There's Animals at my resort, and well there is that little thing called BREAD SERVICE!!!! Is there a legal limit on that Ha!

In all seriousness however, This trip scared me, as Disney had closed so much, that we weren't sure what was still going to be there. This really re invigorated me, and proved that this will still be an amazing magical moment maker!
Being able to actually walk around and enjoy the scenery and music without getting bumped into is what I'm looking forward to!

Mainahman

Original Poster
Being able to actually walk around and enjoy the scenery and music without getting bumped into is what I'm looking forward to!
Im an avid cell phone picture taker! so it will be nice to get some photos with low people, and i agree. AK low crowds and i could take pictures for hours!

Mainahman

Original Poster
Did some shopping with the kids today. Got some new clothes for the trip, and found a mask type we liked that was actually comfortable, as those disposable ones are a joke long term.. now to get some ordered. Counting the days! Need to order a truck bed cover this week to get that installed as we will be taking the truck this trip for more room.

Mainahman

Original Poster
Things I thought I'd never type... Weather appropriate masks ordered. Even got 2 haunted mansions <3 now to wait for each individual Etsy seller to make and get em to us. Found 1 locally at the mall we really liked so went with that style.

Mainahman

Original Poster
Got started with new Dining Reservations today.

Our trip is
August 9th- Arrival day, and resort chill out day- Sanaa (BREAD SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
August 10th MK
August 11th EPCOT
August 12th DHS- Sci Fi for my nephew
August 13th AK- Yak And Yeti ( because my wife will go "Katiebug" if we dont get this. Its what makes a trip for her)
August 14th MK
August 15th Check out and come home BOOO! ( hopefully with an idea of what 2021 trip will look like.

May book one more if my niece picks somewhere she wants to eat.

Mainahman

Original Poster
Just ordered the tonneau cover for the back of the truck bed for the drive down. Another thing off the list! Took today off from work for a long weekend. Spending the day with my nephew. As a typical teenager, he'd like to go to Hooters as they don't have them at home, and then I need to go to the fish store anyway for some stuff so he will go with me

Mainahman

Original Poster
Sometimes I think we all forget what is close to us. We went berry picking and peach picking this morning, as we try to keep everyone entertained until it's time to go see the mouse!
IMG_20200703_095903.jpg
IMG_20200703_103411.jpg

Was a good chance to be out in the heat and humidity. 92 and high humidity here I Tennessee today. Had a blast, and now to make some blueberry pie! Peaches will be grilled up on the morning for breakfast on the griddle, but also I took some that needed to be wanted, blended up with some ice and Tennessee honey Jack Daniela whiskey for a little poolside drink for myself. Got a ton, so we maybe baking some cobbler too. Thinking Nashville zoo on Sunday or Monday for some mask training in the heat!

Loco_driver

Looks like fun. We took our niece blueberry picking back in late April and she loved it! We practiced wearing our masks in the heat yesterday evening at her T-ball game.
E0EB68FD-F8B9-4AA5-8EDF-07B928E8C7AE.jpeg

Hot doesn’t even begin to describe it. We have a mask ordinance here now though, so this will be our new normal for a while. I handle it better if I’m moving around, but sitting still was absolute misery!

Mainahman

Original Poster
Looks like fun. We took our niece blueberry picking back in late April and she loved it! We practiced wearing our masks in the heat yesterday evening at her T-ball game.
View attachment 481255
Hot doesn’t even begin to describe it. We have a mask ordinance here now though, so this will be our new normal for a while. I handle it better if I’m moving around, but sitting still was absolute misery!
That's some heat!! It was 92 today, and high humidity. Wasn't too bad like you said moving, but thankfully we had a bit of a breeze. Our town doesn't have a mask order, but Nashville proper does, and we will be going up there here and there, so it will be nice training. Went nuts in Etsy and got like 20 for the trip. It's kind of like mask Christmas when. We go to the mailbox. So far one of my haunted Mansion one came. I feel blessed that we have a berry farm, and a peach orchard right here in our town. They had a blast!!

Mainahman

Original Poster
Today was just some shopping, but tomorrow is training 101 for masks on the heat. Nashville has a mask order, and we've been wanting to get back to our zoo, so one pack of masks we ordered came in, so tomorrow I will put on my haunted Mansion wallpaper mask and go see.me so e animals! Supposed to be on the 90s.ans high humidity all day tomorrow, so it's a perfect test!

Mainahman

Original Poster
Well today was a success. We worked on breaking in shoes, adjusting to wearing masks in the heat, etc. Our zoo is nice and did a great job with the mask order in Nashville, and adjusting for social distancing. Had a great day with the kids! Here's a couple photos we got of them today. I took a ton of photos I'll post on Facebook later. We love our zoo, and it creates a rather cost effectiveness test environment for alot of our Disney plans.
IMG_20200706_130203_1.jpg
IMG_20200706_121836.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom