two resorts one trip?

ILVWDW

I am going to WDW with my husband and 5 years old in August. We are currently booked at POP for 5 nights. We were thinking of switching to a moderate or deluxe resort mid-trip just for fun. Has anyone else done this during a trip? Pros and cons? Will Disney transfer luggage? I appreciate any thoughts on this topic. Thanks! :)

PoohBear119

I am going to WDW with my husband and 5 years old in August. We are currently booked at POP for 5 nights. We were thinking of switching to a moderate or deluxe resort mid-trip just for fun. Has anyone else done this during a trip? Pros and cons? Will Disney transfer luggage? I appreciate any thoughts on this topic. Thanks! :)

My DH and I are doing a split trip in August. We are staying 3 days at the Carribbean Beach and then transfering to AKL-Kidani... I know for a fact that Disney will transfer your luggage (that was something I asked).

Upvote 0

corey154

I haven't done it but lots of people do this and yep Disney will transfer your bags for you. I think it's a great idea. the only con is if you're on a package like dining, b/c when you switch rooms it becomes another ressie and a new package.

Upvote 0

fosse76

They do transfer luggage, but I believe you actually have to call the desk to arrange it. It's not automatic.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It is possible but if you have booked a package with dining then it is not practical as you will have to buy at least an additional one day ticket to get the dining plan on your second reservation.

Upvote 0

Disneykidder

We are thinking of doing this. What you need to do is get the park passes on your first reservation. Like if you total stay is 7 days then get it added to the first ressie but stay the amount of days you want. The reason for this is if you do split the tickets, you will end up paying a lot more because Disney discounts tickets the more you stay. So the your second reservation will be just for room only.

If you are getting the dining plan, whether paying or for free, you would need to have tickets on each reservation...not just the hotel. The split with the dining plan actually adds quite a bit of $$ to the trip so that is why we are prob. not going to do it.

Yes, the desk will transfer your luggage on the day you are checking out/in to the new ressie.

Hope I have helped.

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

One con that most people don't think about - since you need to check out of the first resort before 11am, and you can't check in to the second resort until 3pm or sometimes 4pm (say with SSR), you will be without a room for that time.

I've done quite a few split stays, and all but one went off without a hitch; that one left us without luggage for over 3 hours and it affected our dinner plans - now we make sure we take what we need with us, just in case.

Upvote 0

fredtom

We've transferred between resorts many, many times... just about every year. It's is easy as others have said... Just call Bell Services to pick up your luggage and let them know you'll be changing resorts. Be sure to tip them. I think all transfers happen between 1:00 & 3:00 PM each day. You can still check into your new resort even if your bags haven't yet arrived or even if your room is not yet ready.

My wife and I enjoy splitting our stay between resorts because each one is such a different experience and it feels like starting a new adventure and a new vacation... provided you're staying more than just a couple of nights, so you won't feel rushed and like you have to move just when you were getting settled in to begin with.

If you're on the Dining Plan, your DDP credits don't expire until midnight on the departure day from your first resort. So, you can carry them over through the arrival day of your second resort. Last year we checked out of SSR and into Kidani Village with four table service entitlements left between the two us, which we planned to use at Jiko... and did. Just remember to use the previous KTTW card with the leftover credits and not your new resort card if you do this.

Have a wonderful time.

"An Adventurer's life is best!" :lol:

Upvote 0

a2grafix

It could work. My family (mom, dad, and sisters) stayed at the old Disney Inn in 1990 (now the Shades of Green), and then transferred after 3 days to the Swan for the rest of the week.

From my perspective, it was pretty smooth in the transition and, at the time, gave a cool perspective -- first staying across the street from the Polynesian and staying at the Magic Kingdom loop, then transferring near EPCOT Center and taking a tram to either the International Gateway and watching the Boardwalk land being cleared (at the time) or taking a boat to MGM.

Best of luck. Anything is possible. Always dress for the hunt.

Kungaloosh!

Upvote 0

Philo

I highly recommend it too, if you don't get to visit the world often then this is a great way of exploring the resorts and having two very different experiences.

I switched resorts a couple of years ago and it was as simple as packing up, checking out and giving out bags to bell services. We then went to one of the parks for the day, went to our new hotel and the bags were waiting for us. No hassle at all!

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

It is definitely doable. As PP's have said, get your bags to Bell Services (some resorts you need to bring to them) and tell them where you are going and they will make the transfer. It may take em a few hours, so it's not good if you need stuff there NOW. There are times as mentioned above when it doesn't make sense to do the transfer, but if you have a room only reservation, it's a pretty smooth process. Just check in with bell services on the other end and they should have you luggage for you.

Upvote 0
Just want to throw something out there. If you are only staying 5 days, you wouldn't really be able to unpack because you would have to repack just two days later to move. Although you don't have to move your own luggage, you still have to make sure you have everything. Just a thought....

I have switched resorts mid trip and loved it but I was there for a little over 2 weeks so it was well worth it for me. I personally don't think switching resorts for a 5 day trip would be worth it but that is just my 2 cents.

Upvote 0
2 resorts in a trip

we did this once and it was enjoyable! we stayed at Dixie landings now Riverside we were then fortunate enough to book at the Poly.It was nice because we got to enjoy two different resorts and the cost at that time was not much more.

I would say go for it ! I think your whole family will enjoy the two resorts!

Upvote 0
Sounds like a whole bunch of us are doing the split stay thing in August! My girlfriend and I are planning on spending the first night in Pop Century, then onto the Wilderness Lodge for the remainder of the trip. Thanks for letting me know that they will transfer our luggage for us!

Upvote 0

CoastalX

I remember one year staying at Port Orleans and mid-trip we switched to the Dolphin and all we had to do was take our bags to the front desk and go about our day and at the end of the day when we got to the Dolphin, our bags were already in our new room.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom