News Two new solar arrays coming online in 2023 will double Walt Disney World's solar capability

lazyboy97o

I know they’re the easiest, cheapest and most efficient way of building them, but I find clearing land for solar to be a bit hypocritical. Why not do things like solar shades on those massive parking lots? Why wasnt Galactic Starcruiser oriented east-west and fitted with something like a solar rain screen?

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
You can't help but wonder why solar panel canopies aren't being installed in their massive parking lots.
(I guess it's cheaper to just reclaim farmland)

I wonder how much carbon is generated from the nightly pyrotechnic shows and all the busses that criss cross the property?

Skibum1970

I know they’re the easiest, cheapest and most efficient way of building them, but I find clearing land for solar to be a bit hypocritical. Why not do things like solar shades on those massive parking lots? Why wasnt Galactic Starcruiser oriented east-west and fitted with something like a solar rain screen?

This. 1000x, this. Solar shades over the parking lots would help build solar capacity and would help cars not be 150 degrees after baking in the hot summer sun. Heck, it would even give shelter from rainstorms. Clearing trees that help reduce CO2 in the air is the opposite of "being green".

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Because they wouldn't want to do anything to raise customer satisfaction?

danlb_2000

Premium Member

The Guardians of the Galaxy queue building is oriented south, that would be a perfect place to put solar panels. ;)

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
It's too bad Disney has never put solar panels over a parking lot before, that would be an ideal solution in Florida. Oh wait...

It's as if they are looking to score cheap points with the "green" crowd and don't actually care to think about what they are doing beyond scoring said points.

NelsonRD

It is because to make meaningful electrical generation, they require large surface areas, and easy access for cleaning and maintenance. To replace a traditional electric generation plant, it would require square miles of coverage. Additionally, solar panels are only 30% efficient, when all in direct sunlight, which I agree is better than nothing. However, if any part of solar panels are shaded by clouds, the efficiency of the whole array is reduced. Load forecasting is difficult because the electricity generated is use or lose, and there is no storage.

Legoland has covered solar parking, and helps, but to solve our increasing electrical energy needs, solar is not enough.

GimpYancIent

Uhhhh, common sense, efficiency, good PR and effective multitasking are things lacking at the Disney Co. these days.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
It is because to make meaningful electrical generation, they require large surface areas, and easy access for cleaning and maintenance. To replace a traditional electric generation plant, it would require square miles of coverage. Additionally, solar panels are only 30% efficient, when all in direct sunlight, which I agree is better than nothing. However, if any part of solar panels are shaded by clouds, the efficiency of the whole array is reduced. Load forecasting is difficult because the electricity generated is use or lose, and there is no storage.

Legoland has covered solar parking, and helps, but to solve our increasing electrical energy needs, solar is not enough.

What is larger and easier to access than Disney theme park parking lots? Need to clean/maintain a section? Close those rows that day. There are plenty more for people to park in these days.

NelsonRD

What is larger and easier to access than Disney theme park parking lots? Need to clean/maintain a section? Close those rows that day. There are plenty more for people to park in these days.
Fair enough. They can still be maintained via rooftop, but will they be?
It's a good start, but there are still a lot of unrealistic expectations regarding solar panels.

NelsonRD

How is something done by Merlin, Six Flags and even Disney an unrealistic expectation?
It is unrealistic to believe adding relativity small sections of solar panels (yes, the Disney farm is relativity small) can make up the difference from closing aging power plants, and support our increased usage.

Animaniac93-98

How is something done by Merlin, Six Flags and even Disney an unrealistic expectation?

For those unaware of what @lazyboy97o is referencing:

"The main guest parking lot at Disneyland Paris will now host “one of the largest solar canopy plants in Europe,” in collaboration with French company Urbasolar Group.

The plant will cover 17 hectares with 67,500 solar panels, so as to cover up to 9,000 parking places. This is equivalent to almost 24 football fields placed next to one another."

danlb_2000

Premium Member

This project is two arrays covering 1000 acres. The largest parking lot is MK at 134 acres, so to get the same size they would need cover numerous parking lots. Still a better idea in my eyes, but it would add to the overhead.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom