TWDC reports third-quarter profits

Lee

Adventurer
Well, thanks Lee. I could see a situation for investors/partners in the parks on an international level, but not as an actual sale of the existing parks.
An outright sale would be their preference, but they may listen to offers for investment, too.
Two potential buyers kicked the tires...neither made an offer. At least not one that the Board liked.

Glasgow

"Disney credited higher prices at its U.S. resorts — both for hotel rooms and theme-park tickets"

Yeah, we noticed TWDC! Was just thinking about a trip I took in 2003 that cost about $1200 for 5 days - it's close to $2000 now for a similar trip. That's a lot in only 8 years ..

Kamikaze

Yeah, we noticed TWDC! Was just thinking about a trip I took in 2003 that cost about $1200 for 5 days - it's close to $2000 now for a similar trip. That's a lot in only 8 years ..

Prices in 2002/2003 were way down due to the travel slump.

Kamikaze

You folks are really stretching it. So, it went from a rumor that the Board and a middle-eastern investor MAY have been spotted at WDW that has now grown into people whole-heartedly believing they're selling the theme parks!? :hammer:

Lee confirming a rumor is about as close to 100% fact as you can get.

captainkidd

So the Disney parks saw a 1% rise in attendance, and in the same time period, Universal saw a 41% rise in attendance.

Bet Disney's breathing a sigh of relief they passed on Harry Potter now, ey?:hammer:

Ignohippo

So the Disney parks saw a 1% rise in attendance, and in the same time period, Universal saw a 41% rise in attendance.

Bet Disney's breathing a sigh of relief they passed on Harry Potter now, ey?:hammer:

Universal's attendance is much lower, so it's a lot easier to show a much more significant gain.

If Disney would've built the exact same attraction, and gotten the same increase in actual visitors, their percentage increase wouldn't have been even remotely as large as Universal's.

captainkidd

Universal's attendance is much lower, so it's a lot easier to show a much more significant gain.

If Disney would've built the exact same attraction, and gotten the same increase in actual visitors, their percentage increase wouldn't have been even remotely as large as Universal's.

Not as low as you might think. In fact, attendance at IOA could potentially pass attendance at both Animal Kingdom and DHS next year. As of right now, they're right on their tails.

I'm not a Potter fan, but the numbers don't lie.

Ignohippo

An outright sale would be their preference, but they may listen to offers for investment, too.
Two potential buyers kicked the tires...neither made an offer. At least not one that the Board liked.

So Lee, what is the reason you hear for them wanting to sell the parks division? It's profitable and a main cog in the Disney empire. I can't imagine a Disney Company without the parks.

And why would the Board be present if there are just offers being presented? The offers would be submitted, Staggs would evaluate them and then get the members of the Board's input individually to see if the offer is even worthy of being submitted. There would be no reason for the entire Board to be present until an actual sale were being voted on. Even at that, I would think the vote would take place someplace much more convenient for Board members (like NY or LA).

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

Depending on who's numbers you use the same increase at IOA would have been a roughly 6%-8% attendance hike at MK.

powlessfamily4

Agreed, it would also be interesting to see how many Universal guests skipped Disney all together. I would be willing to bet not that many did.

captainkidd

WOW, your numbers are WAY off:

orlandosentinel.com-Nearly 3.6 million people visited Universal Orlando's two theme parks during the second quarter of the year, an increase of more than 1 million from the same period in 2010.

According to Wikipedia, DHS and DAK had over 9 million in 2009.

As I just said, you're comparing one quarter versus 1 year. Multiply Universal's numbers by 4, and even that's not a fair number, as the 2nd quarter of the year isn't nearly as busy as the 3rd.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Agreed, it would also be interesting to see how many Universal guests skipped Disney all together. I would be willing to bet not that many did.
From what I have been seeing on the TA end, many of my clients are simply taking a day out of their 5-7 day Disney trips to hit IOA. They are still staying at WDW, on the DDP, etc. I think the people making the most money from WWoHP are Mears and the rental car companies. :lol:

Ignohippo

As I just said, you're comparing one quarter versus 1 year. Multiply Universal's numbers by 4, and even that's not a fair number, as the 2nd quarter of the year isn't nearly as busy as the 3rd.

Wow! That's good to know Kidd. I stand corrected.

Good. Maybe then the powers that be will actually get off their duffs and do something more substantial! I'm still afraid they'll be happy to get the profits they'll take in over the next couple of years with the expansions that will come on line next year and won't want to incur any new expenditures for a while. Really hope I'm wrong.

captainkidd

OH! my mistake. thanks, you are right. I retract my previous posts. I misread the quarter part. My apologies.

No problem.

Disney's attendance is still ahead. However, even with a slowdown at IoA, which doesn't seem likely, attendance could at least match that of AK and DHS. If that happens, this board may self-destruct.:lol:

In all seriousness, it's a very good possibility, and if it happens, Disney better throw away the "competition is good" excuse and think of some other reason they didn't pursue Harry Potter.

DisneyJoe

From what I have been seeing on the TA end, many of my clients are simply taking a day out of their 5-7 day Disney trips to hit IOA. They are still staying at WDW, on the DDP, etc. I think the people making the most money from WWoHP are Mears and the rental car companies.

Same here - or they are doing a cheap hotel stay before or after WDW just to do IOA. Most take a break in the middle of their WDW stay, not wanting to change resorts - and getting the advantage of DME at both ends of their stay.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom