TWDC reports third-quarter profits

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Original Poster
The head of the Walt Disney Co. said Tuesday the recent global economic turmoil hasn't yet shaken any of the company's core businesses — including its theme parks — as the media-entertainment giant posted better-than-expected quarterly earnings amid what it called "turbulent times."

"During the past few days, we have not seen any change in the pace of activity at our parks and resorts, advertising or consumer-products businesses," Disney Co. President and Chief Executive Officer Bob Iger said during a conference call to discuss financial results for the company's fiscal third quarter.

The commentary came after Burbank, Calif.-based Disney reported that its profit for the quarter climbed 11 percent to nearly $1.5 billion, up from a little more than $1.3 billion a year ago. The gains were driven by the company's television networks and theme parks, which offset a slump at its movie studio.

Total revenue climbed 7 percent to $10.7 billion.

Excluding one-time charges, Disney said it earned 78 cents a share during the three-month period that ended July 2, topping Wall Street forecasts.

At Disney's theme-park division, often viewed as a bellwether for the broader economy, operating profit rose 9 percent to $519 million on revenue that was up 12 percent to $3.2 billion. Disney credited higher prices at its U.S. resorts — both for hotel rooms and theme-park tickets — and the first full quarter of operation for the Disney Dream, the $900 million cruise ship that began sailing out of Port Canaveral earlier this year. The theme parks were also helped by a favorable shift of the busy Easter travel period, which fell later in 2011 than it did a year ago.

Combined attendance at Walt Disney World in Orlando and Disneyland in Anaheim, Calif. inched up 1 percent for the quarter, after stripping out the effect of the Easter shift. Disneyland drove the increase, as Iger said the resort posted record third-quarter attendance thanks to new attractions at Disney California Adventure.

Per-capita guest spending between the coasts jumped 8 percent, rising across all categories, including tickets, merchandise and food-and-beverage sales.

Domestic-hotel occupancy slipped one percentage point to 81 percent. But per-room spending — which includes the average nightly room rate — leapt 14 percent. Disney said it willingly sacrificed some volume in favor of charging higher rates, as it continued pulling back from the broad discounts it used during the global recession.

Iger would not, however, rule out returning to widespread discounting should the U.S. economy slip back into recession.

"At some point we might. We'll take a look at what impact a weakening economy has on us," he said. "We'll take a look at holiday bookings as the year progresses. It's way too early to predict, … [but] my gut, based on the trends we've seen this past year, is it's not something that we'll necessarily have to do quickly."

Disney said U.S. hotel bookings for the current quarter are running 2 percent behind last year's pace, but that room rates are up by a mid-single-digit percentage.

Overseas, Disney reported higher attendance and spending at Hong Kong Disneyland. But results declined at Disneyland Paris and especially at Tokyo Disneyland, which was forced to temporarily shut down following the March 11 earthquake and tsunami in Japan.

At Disney's largest division — media networks, which includes the powerhouse ESPN cable-sports channel — operating income jumped 11 percent to $2.1 billion on revenue that was up 5 percent to $4.9 billion. Disney said the increase was chiefly due to higher contract rates for ESPN, but also because of improving advertising revenue at ABC and lower programming costs.

Operating profit at Disney's movie studio tumbled 60 percent to $49 million on revenue that was essentially flat at $1.6 billion. Recent releases "Cars 2" and "Thor" failed to match year-ago performances of "Toy Story 3" and "Iron Man 2."

Although the film studio performed below expectations, Disney said sales of "Cars 2" merchandise — along with higher licensing revenue from its Marvel Entertainment properties — drove improvements in its consumer-products business, where operating income rose 32 percent to $155 million on revenue that was up 13 percent to $685 million.

Losses widened to $86 million at Disney's struggling interactive-media segment, though revenue grew 27 percent to $251 million. Disney blamed the decline on the inclusion of its recently acquired Playdom online-games business, though it said sales of console video games improved.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-daily-disney/os-disney-earnings-20110809,0,7452945,print.story

njDizFan

So this is obviously good new for TWDC. Per capita the Disney guest spent 8% more and while only losing 1% of hotel occupancy rates the average guest spent 14% more on their room.

Kamikaze

You know, if Disney is really trying to divest something, it should be the movie studio. They made $49 million on $1.6 billion in revenue? Thats a lot of money in for such a small profit. Especially considering that parks made basically 10.5x that on double the revenue.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You know, if Disney is really trying to divest something, it should be the movie studio. They made $49 million on $1.6 billion in revenue? Thats a lot of money in for such a small profit. Especially considering that parks made basically 10.5x that on double the revenue.
The movie business seems to fit into the loss leader category these days. A film breaking even or even loosing money is not that big of a deal providing that the toys keep raking in the money.

Kamikaze

The movie business seems to fit into the loss leader category these days. A film breaking even or even loosing money is not that big of a deal providing that the toys keep raking in the money.

Oh I know, and DVD/BD sales, and everything else that goes along with it.

But to shop the parks around when you have much worse performing divisions is ridiculous to me.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Oh I know, and DVD/BD sales, and everything else that goes along with it.

But to shop the parks around when you have much worse performing divisions is ridiculous to me.
I would agree but I think that the parks have a certain aggravation factor that Disney might like to be rid of. I have a feeling that they would happily take a 50% cut in profits if it meant that a day of work consisted of nothing more than walking to the mail box to get a check.

Kamikaze

I would agree but I think that the parks have a certain aggravation factor that Disney might like to be rid of. I have a feeling that they would happily take a 50% cut in profits if it meant that a day of work consisted of nothing more than walking to the mail box to get a check.

The aggravation is that it takes so long to recoup costs. The $400m they are spending on FLE, there is no way for them to know exactly when that investment pays off. Whereas with a movie, they have box office returns they can point directly back to.

Now that said, parks spent $3.2b for $519m back.
Movies spent $1.6b for $49m back.

Which division would you rather own? Is one a lot more work? Yes, I suppose it is. But for 10x the profit, I would say its worth it.
And if they do sell the parks, are they going to be able to charge the buyers $500m+ in licensing a quarter? I doubt it. Thats a $2b a year licensing fee. Little extreme, and thats less than what they just made. I guess thats why Lee said both parties they shopped it to have passed.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The aggravation is that it takes so long to recoup costs. The $400m they are spending on FLE, there is no way for them to know exactly when that investment pays off. Whereas with a movie, they have box office returns they can point directly back to.

Now that said, parks spent $3.2b for $519m back.
Movies spent $1.6b for $49m back.

Which division would you rather own? Is one a lot more work? Yes, I suppose it is. But for 10x the profit, I would say its worth it.
And if they do sell the parks, are they going to be able to charge the buyers $500m+ in licensing a quarter? I doubt it. Thats a $2b a year licensing fee. Little extreme, and thats less than what they just made. I guess thats why Lee said both parties they shopped it to have passed.
I think Disney threw out a great deal for them and a so so deal for a buyer. I feel had someone bit they would have sold but no one in their right mind would have bit on the deal unless they wanted to own the parks at any cost.

bayoubelle

amuck, amuck, amuck
So this is obviously good new for TWDC. Per capita the Disney guest spent 8% more and while only losing 1% of hotel occupancy rates the average guest spent 14% more on their room.

I wonder though if they're playing with the numbers. We all know Disney raised their prices across the board so might this increase account, at least in part, for the "spending increase".

It seems to me that the economy is affecting them. For example, the first week in April of this year, I decided to take a trip to WDW starting on April 24th- Easter Sunday. I called DVC and was able to book a 1bd Boardwalk view. Then the week before the trip, I decided to see if I could get AKV and BC because my friend was bringing her 9 yo and I thought he'd like those better. Sure enough, I was able to book a Jambo 1 bd savanna view and a 1 bd BC villa. In previous years, I would not have been able to book any of those that close in to a trip especially during a holiday week.

Brian Noble

I wonder though if they're playing with the numbers. We all know Disney raised their prices across the board so might this increase account, at least in part, for the "spending increase".
Of course the increase in ticket prices in part explains it. That's the point of increasing ticket prices.

However, I would not assume they are cooking the books. Public companies can get in very very hot water for doing so, and in the post Enron/SOX world, it's become easier for the auditors to spot it.

bayoubelle

amuck, amuck, amuck

Of course the increase in ticket prices in part explains it. That's the point of increasing ticket prices.

However, I would not assume they are cooking the books. Public companies can get in very very hot water for doing so, and in the post Enron/SOX world, it's become easier for the auditors to spot it.

I didn't mean cooking the books. I meant using the real numbers to make things look sunnier than they are.

Ignohippo

You folks are really stretching it. So, it went from a rumor that the Board and a middle-eastern investor MAY have been spotted at WDW that has now grown into people whole-heartedly believing they're selling the theme parks!? :hammer:

On a different note, if the theme parks are profitable now (with all of the construction going on), imagine how good they'll look in 2012 when CarsLand, the renovated Disneyland Hotel, the FLE and the Art of Animation Resort all come on line! You can bet there will be ticket and hotel price increases as well. Expenditures will be down, park attendance and hotel room occupancy will be way up. The parks division will show double-digit increases in both 2012 and 2013.

(more reason not to expect any new major announcements/expansions at the parks through 2013 - absolutely no reason to incur new expenditures. makes business sense just to sit on the expansions and increased revenue for a few years and wait until the luster wears off before announcing anything else new)

Lee

Adventurer
Interesting...
Combined attendance at Walt Disney World in Orlando and Disneyland in Anaheim, Calif. inched up 1 percent for the quarter, after stripping out the effect of the Easter shift.

Elsewhere...
Harry Potter continued to draw legions of fans to Universal Orlando this spring, as resort attendance leapt 41 percent from a year ago.

:lol:

You folks are really stretching it. So, it went from a rumor that the Board and a middle-eastern investor MAY have been spotted at WDW that has now grown into people whole-heartedly believing they're selling the theme parks!? :hammer:
Not a rumor. They were there. Folks from China, too.
Not "selling" the parks, per se.....just open to offers.

menamechris

Thank you.... I am amazed at how rumors and discussion on the topic turned into complete factual knowledge apparently...

Alektronic

Combined attendance at Walt Disney World in Orlando and Disneyland in Anaheim, Calif. inched up 1 percent for the quarter, after stripping out the effect of the Easter shift. Disneyland drove the increase, as Iger said the resort posted record third-quarter attendance thanks to new attractions at Disney California Adventure.

If DLR posted record 3rd quarter attendance and there was only a 1 percent gain then that means WDW attendance was way down.

menamechris

Actually...some of us do deal heavily in factual knowledge.:lookaroun

As you said yourself - the company is open to offers...not anxious to dump P&R at all costs as some people have apparently come to believe. I am sure the P&R division has been open to offers since the Eisner years. The company basically owes it to the shareholders to entertain any such offer - especially given how beneficial it potentially could be to share value. With that said, I would estimate only a handful of entities in the world would be in a position to make such a purchase - and I would guess that is why we have never heard about such an offer before.

Ignohippo

Not a rumor. They were there. Folks from China, too.
Not "selling" the parks, per se.....just open to offers.

Well, thanks Lee. I could see a situation for investors/partners in the parks on an international level, but not as an actual sale of the existing parks. The only reason I'd think they'd consider investors would be as seed money for new locations in other countries. Having investors help pay for the up-front construction costs of the parks (and even the cruise ships) would really lighten the load on the company.

Still, would more parks around the world really be good for the company? How many international visitors would it take away from WDW if they were to build parks in Russia or Brazil? They may end up really diluting the brand. Disney parks don't need to become the international version of Six Flags or McDonald's. A huge part of the appeal is their uniqueness.

COProgressFan

If DLR posted record 3rd quarter attendance and there was only a 1 percent gain then that means WDW attendance was way down.

Which is exactly why they stopped breaking out attendance for DLR and WDW last year. Its embarrassing to them, especially given that 41% increase Universal saw!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom