TSA bans Star Wars Land Coca-Cola Bottles from all U.S. flights

Status
Not open for further replies.

TP2000

Original Poster
This news is coming out of Disneyland, but it will impact WDW within a few days after Star Wars Land opens at DHS.

The TSA has now banned all of the Coca-Cola 'Thermal Detonator' bottles sold in Star Wars Land from being brought on any US flight in either checked or carry-on baggage. Disneyland tourists have learned the hard way this summer at SoCal airports that the bottles must be surrendered at the screening points if they are found by TSA agents in either checked or carry-on luggage.

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/08/...low&utm_medium=social&utm_content=tw-ocdisney

TSA officials confirmed that the souvenir collectible Coke bottles exclusively available in the new Star Wars lands are prohibited on U.S. flights because they look like replica explosives. “Replica items are not allowed on aircraft,” said TSA spokesperson Jim Gregory.

The Coke, Diet Coke and Sprite bottles were designed to look like the spherical explosive weapons used by bounty hunters and stormtroopers in the Star War universe. “The design of this thing just looks cool,” Walt Disney Imagineering portfolio creative executive Scott Trowbridge said when the bottles were unveiled in April. “Kind of thermal detonator-ish. It’s kind of awesome.”

hqdefault.jpg

I hadn't thought about it until now, but Disney banned all toy guns from its theme parks some time ago because they didn't want to be associated with violence and killing. But fake grenades, "thermal detonators", that tout a corporate sponsor are apparently okay to sell at Disneyland and Disney World?

That's kind of an interesting place to draw a line in the sand; toy guns are bad, toy grenades are fine! But I have to assume these Coke products will soon be redesigned to be something else. Get 'em while you can! :D

Heppenheimer

Further proof that a lack of common sense combined with zero tolerance equals unparalleled insanity.

Attention, TSA: It's not a replica of a weapon if the weapon doesn't exist.
They do look very similar to modern hand grenades, however (once the pin and handle are removed). I think that is the issue.

FettFan

This news is coming out of Disneyland, but it will impact WDW within a few days after Star Wars Land opens at DHS.

The TSA has now banned all of the Coca-Cola 'Thermal Detonator' bottles sold in Star Wars Land from being brought on any US flight in either checked or carry-on baggage. Disneyland tourists have learned the hard way this summer at SoCal airports that the bottles must be surrendered at the screening points if they are found by TSA agents in either checked or carry-on luggage.

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/08/...low&utm_medium=social&utm_content=tw-ocdisney

TSA officials confirmed that the souvenir collectible Coke bottles exclusively available in the new Star Wars lands are prohibited on U.S. flights because they look like replica explosives. “Replica items are not allowed on aircraft,” said TSA spokesperson Jim Gregory.

The Coke, Diet Coke and Sprite bottles were designed to look like the spherical explosive weapons used by bounty hunters and stormtroopers in the Star War universe. “The design of this thing just looks cool,” Walt Disney Imagineering portfolio creative executive Scott Trowbridge said when the bottles were unveiled in April. “Kind of thermal detonator-ish. It’s kind of awesome.”

hqdefault.jpg

I hadn't thought about it until now, but Disney banned all toy guns from its theme parks some time ago because they didn't want to be associated with violence and killing. But fake grenades, "thermal detonators", that tout a corporate sponsor are apparently okay to sell at Disneyland and Disney World?

That's kind of an interesting place to draw a line in the sand; toy guns are bad, toy grenades are fine! But I have to assume these Coke products will soon be redesigned to be something else. Get 'em while you can! :D

Christmas ornaments.

That’s all they are. The spherical Christmas ornament bottles that Coca-Cola produces every holiday season.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Christmas ornaments.

That’s all they are. The spherical Christmas ornament bottles that Coca-Cola produces every holiday season.
It’s the cap that makes them look weird. And I bet that doesn’t look good on a scanner.

Besides...it’s a bottle...throw the freaking thing away!

If you want a souvenir...there’s plenty of ST stuff there on the shelves nobody wants.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
It’s the cap that makes them look weird. And I bet that doesn’t look good on a scanner.

Besides...it’s a bottle...throw the freaking thing away!

If you want a souvenir...there’s plenty of ST stuff there on the shelves nobody wants.
The bottles were made to be collectible; otherwise they would just serve the same bottles as elsewhere in the park.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom