Trying something new...

bektex

I'm planning our next trip to Disney world, and we want to try something new. What's a cool thing you have seen, done, or eaten that you think most people don't know about, and we NEED to do? I have 3 boys: 12, 10, and 3 at time of travel, so no princess or "girly" stuff.
We will obviously be visiting Toy Story Land, since it'll be brand new, and we saw all the signs earlier this year, and all of us are dying to see it. :)

yensid67

Orlando has more to offer than just Theme Parks...have you ever thought about taking a 'tethered' Hot Air Balloon ride 4oo ft in the air over Disney(Disney Springs West Side)? How about visiting a wax figure of Walt Disney himself at Madame Tussauds? Save some money and go to Sea Life Aquarium (instead of Sea World)(International Drive)? Or your boys might enjoy seeing Alligators and Crocodiles at Gatorland!? Take in a Dinner show(Pirates or Outta Control Magic)? Spend a day at the Cocoa Beach? There is a FOREVER FLORIDA animal preserve...safari ride, horseback riding in Kissimmee! Helicopter ride over the parks? Air Florida on International Drive is a great company! Just some ideas!

Upvote 0

bektex

Original Poster
Orlando has more to offer than just Theme Parks...have you ever thought about taking a 'tethered' Hot Air Balloon ride 4oo ft in the air over Disney(Disney Springs West Side)? How about visiting a wax figure of Walt Disney himself at Madame Tussauds? Save some money and go to Sea Life Aquarium (instead of Sea World)(International Drive)? Or your boys might enjoy seeing Alligators and Crocodiles at Gatorland!? Take in a Dinner show(Pirates or Outta Control Magic)? Spend a day at the Cocoa Beach? There is a FOREVER FLORIDA animal preserve...safari ride, horseback riding in Kissimmee! Helicopter ride over the parks? Air Florida on International Drive is a great company! Just some ideas!
Thanks so much for your reply, but I should have included that we are going with a family that has never been, and while we don't have to do everything together, we won't want to leave Disney property, but we have never ridden in the hot air balloon, so that's a great idea.

Upvote 0

slipperalwaysfits

For the adults, the piano bar at Jellyrolls on the Boardwalk is a fun night out. Mini-golf is a great way to relax in the afternoon as a park break, it's near the Boardwalk. Your arrival book should give you a coupon for Mini-golf before 4 pm. We loved doing breakfast at Boma and then watching the animals at ALK one year. My husband did parasailing at the Contemporary and really enjoyed it. I know the Contemporary has a Pirates cruise, too. Those are just some ideas. Good luck!

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
Rent bikes, or a Surrey bike. Ride from WL to FW, or around Crescent Lake from the Boardwalk.

Try the mini golf near the Swan / Dolphin.

In MK play Sorcerers of the MK for a morning. Or at AK see how far through the Wilderness Explorers you can do.

Or head to AKL for the afternoon and evening. Let the kids do some of the bead activities and then the drumming, and take part in the drumming parade in the evening. Have dinner at the Mara and then go out and watch the animals with the night vision goggles.

Head over to FW and try kayaking or archery with the oldest two while someone takes the youngest to do something else.

Go to Hoop de Doo, the boys are a perfect age to enjoy it for the first time.

Upvote 0

LeighM

A friend's son really enjoyed The Pirates League at MK - https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/shops/magic-kingdom/pirates-league/ followed by the Pirate Tutorial - https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/entertainment/magic-kingdom/captain-jack-sparrow-pirate-tutorial/. And then there's the Pirate Adventure - https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/magic-kingdom/pirates-adventures/.

Another friend who has 3 boys was so busy every time they were at MK, that they completely forgot about the Pirate Adventure. Her son wanted to do the Jedi Training at HS but got rained out.

Upvote 0

bektex

Original Poster
A friend's son really enjoyed The Pirates League at MK - https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/shops/magic-kingdom/pirates-league/ followed by the Pirate Tutorial - https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/entertainment/magic-kingdom/captain-jack-sparrow-pirate-tutorial/. And then there's the Pirate Adventure - https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/magic-kingdom/pirates-adventures/.

Another friend who has 3 boys was so busy every time they were at MK, that they completely forgot about the Pirate Adventure. Her son wanted to do the Jedi Training at HS but got rained out.
We saw all of the Pirates League stuff, when we were there, and meant to do it last time, and didn't have time. We will have to make sure to include it in this trip.
My middle son may want to do Jedi Training, but my older one wouldn't want to get up that early. :)

Upvote 0

I am Timmy

Don't know what time of year you are going, and your oldest may not want to get up early for it, but they have surf lessons at Typhoon Lagoon in the wave pool. Classes are kept small, and you get the perfect wave every time. My boys were 7 and 10 the 1st time they did it, and have done it many times since. They love it. My DH did it with them until they got a little older, he loved it, too. The archery lessons at Fort Wilderness are also a big hit with my boys - they had former olympians as teachers! If they like animals, Animal Kingdom has several tours with various price ranges and time length. Caring for Giants is only an hour and you learn all about the elephants. At Epcot you can swim with dolphins in the aquarium (older kids), the little one can stay behind at the aquarium and see all the marine life.

Upvote 0

MomofPrincessGrace

Check to see if Disney is still offering the Family Magic Tour in the MK. You will have to call to make reservations. Its not advertised often from what I have seen, but I was told about it by a fellow poster prior to our last trip. It was pretty inexpensive as well. You take a guided tour that takes about 2 hours through MK. Our guide was very fun and all of the people, adults included had a blast. Its like a scavenger hunt though Fantasyland looking for clues. We also go to skip the line to ride Winnie the Pooh and we got a private meet with Peter Pan to tell him all about what we had found. At the end of the tour we met (used to be talking) Sorcerer Mickey. It was so fun and worth the money.

Upvote 0

HwdStudio

I'm planning our next trip to Disney world, and we want to try something new. What's a cool thing you have seen, done, or eaten that you think most people don't know about, and we NEED to do? I have 3 boys: 12, 10, and 3 at time of travel, so no princess or "girly" stuff.
We will obviously be visiting Toy Story Land, since it'll be brand new, and we saw all the signs earlier this year, and all of us are dying to see it. :)
We really enjoyed the cake decorating session at Amorettes in Disney Springs. We made a small version of their signature Mickey cake. It was fun and delicious. This was last year and I have no idea if it is still offered. We booked via the Walt Disney World website after googling to find the link. We weren’t sure if my teen nephews would go for it and they enjoyed it more than anyone in the group.

Upvote 0

bektex

Original Poster
Check to see if Disney is still offering the Family Magic Tour in the MK. You will have to call to make reservations. Its not advertised often from what I have seen, but I was told about it by a fellow poster prior to our last trip. It was pretty inexpensive as well. You take a guided tour that takes about 2 hours through MK. Our guide was very fun and all of the people, adults included had a blast. Its like a scavenger hunt though Fantasyland looking for clues. We also go to skip the line to ride Winnie the Pooh and we got a private meet with Peter Pan to tell him all about what we had found. At the end of the tour we met (used to be talking) Sorcerer Mickey. It was so fun and worth the money.
That sounds really cool. We will have some first timers with us, so this may be a great activity for us to do, while they are off doing things we may not want to.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom