Trying Foreign Foods?

BoarderPhreak

Actually it's not raw fish its cold fish. Raw fish is sushimi, I'll eat sushi in the US, but I wouldn't trust any place in the US to serve me sushimi because we don't have the same level of regulations on fish here that they do in Japan.

In general when I've had authentic food from say Africa and compare it to what Disney passes off, there is a pretty big difference. It may have the same appearance, but generally the stuff at Disney is watered down on the level of spice, probably because they don't think the typical guest can handle the real thing... which is probably true in most place in the US in general. I used to go with some Asian friends to China town in Boston and if I went to those same places by my self I would get foods that were toned down versus what I would get when the waiters knew they were making things for people that knew what the food was supposed to taste like. So no it shouldn't be a surprise that a place like Disney is going to err on the side of caution in their recipes.
Sushi can be made with raw fish. Sashimi must be.

MaryJaneP

We were under the impression that sushi actually referred to the rice that served as the foundation for a roll and that the roll could be made with any filling, from cooked items or uncooked items. We were also led to believe that sashimi was just raw fish alone. People here seem to know a great deal.

One thing I first heard of at DW was green tea pudding in the Japan Pavillion. It was my favorite dessert/Disney treat. Sadly, they stopped offering it for a far more “Americanized” green tea ice cream or cheesecake a few years ago. I still mourn its loss!

NiarrNDisney

Original Poster
I consider myself a pretty adventurous eater though within reason especially since I am pescatarian (mostly vegetarian but I do eat fish) however I have tried many exotic game meats and am always up to try new cuisine. My "First" in WDW was when I went to Kimonos where my friend and I tried the Hamachi Kama (Yellowtail Collar) and Conch sushi. I have had many other mollusks before but have never had the opportunity to try Conch so I jumped at the chance to try it raw and as I had heard it really was sweet though a little chewy. As for the Hamachi Kama, growing up in a Filipino home I was always told by my lola (grandmother) that the best meat on the fish is the collar and the eyes (no thank you) so it was time to finally try it. Holy cow she was not kidding! It was amazing and since having it I have continued to order it when I see it on a menu and have even ordered collars from the fishmonger at the Asian market I go to and make it myself. BTW he suggests grilling it as the best way to prepare it.

NiarrNDisney

Original Poster
Every culture has some weird foods that others would never touch. I don't think that the article meant that Americans eat food that TASTES disgusting, but that it is extremely unhealthy. I also think that Americans have very, very limited palate.

I think like most things Buzzfeed posts that the article was a farce though it was slightly funny and interesting to hear people's thoughts on peanut butter, hotdogs and other random tidbits (like having potato chips with sandwiches or with dip still smh) that they found odd.
I post this thread initially with the hope of finding out about members from other countries experiences trying "American foods" and what their first impressions of them were and if they would or do continue to enjoy them. On the flip side I am finding it just as interesting to hear from members from the USA what foreign foods they have tried in WDW, what their opinions were of it and if it has expanded their "limited" palate.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Actually it's not raw fish its cold fish. Raw fish is sushimi, I'll eat sushi in the US, but I wouldn't trust any place in the US to serve me sushimi because we don't have the same level of regulations on fish here that they do in Japan.
🍣🥢
So you'll eat the raw fish if there's rice under it but not if it's served on the side?

It's the same fish. Next time you go, sit at the sushi bar and watch how they make it.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Nothing beats the time my father many years ago dined with people from the Saudi Consulate in NYC, and they served sheep eyeballs.

They are not bad, one of the better items when they serve you a roasted sheep's head on a tray of couscous with nuts and figs. I spent a few years in the Mideast and most is pretty tame stuff. Southeastern Aisa and Central America however might set anyone off eating for a while.

Phonedave

In general when I've had authentic food from say Africa and compare it to what Disney passes off, there is a pretty big difference. It may have the same appearance, but generally the stuff at Disney is watered down on the level of spice, probably because they don't think the typical guest can handle the real thing... which is probably true in most place in the US in general. I used to go with some Asian friends to China town in Boston and if I went to those same places by my self I would get foods that were toned down versus what I would get when the waiters knew they were making things for people that knew what the food was supposed to taste like. So no it shouldn't be a surprise that a place like Disney is going to err on the side of caution in their recipes.

I have a friend who spent 10 or so years in Japan, some in the Air Force, and some just living there. When he got back to the US, and we went out to eat, the same thing would happen to me. If I walked into a place and ordered, I would get the "American" version of the food. If I went with him, and he ordered in Japanese, then it was a whole different meal.

My next door neighbor growing up was Korean. I would go over his house to eat, and I would ask "what dish is there" and the answer was always "Korean food". I miss that "Korean food". I now know what some it was, but it's hard to walk into a Korean restaurant and order "Korean food, like my neighbors mom used to make".

Phonedave

They are not bad, one of the better items when they serve you a roasted sheep's head on a tray of couscous with nuts and figs. I spent a few years in the Mideast and most is pretty tame stuff. Southeastern Aisa and Central America however might set anyone off eating for a while.

I have eaten a bunch of, let's say interesting, dishes. But I have to agree with you, especially with SE Asia. They seem to eat just about anything that moves.

thomas998

I have eaten a bunch of, let's say interesting, dishes. But I have to agree with you, especially with SE Asia. They seem to eat just about anything that moves.
I can respect the eat anything that moves mentality as long as whatever moved tastes good... but I've had some Chinese food that was just downright nasty... spices were the issue it was just the actual taste of the main ingredient... I thought I could handle anything until I went to a Chinese reception after a wedding, the first time since I was a kid that had to spit something out because I just couldn't get past the taste.

Phonedave

I can respect the eat anything that moves mentality as long as whatever moved tastes good... but I've had some Chinese food that was just downright nasty... spices were the issue it was just the actual taste of the main ingredient... I thought I could handle anything until I went to a Chinese reception after a wedding, the first time since I was a kid that had to spit something out because I just couldn't get past the taste.

I have had some stuff that I did not like the taste of either, but really, it is some of the live stuff that gets me. Those coconut palm worms, or whatever they are. The big fat white ones that are live, that they put in a mix of soy and chilies. The ones you hold by the head and bite off the rest, so you don't eat the pincers. Yeah, I think I will take a pass on that. I have eaten insects before, but not live and writhing around.

correcaminos

Sushi can be made with raw fish. Sashimi must be.
Sushi doesn't even need meat either. I don't eat fish and I can still eat some sushi.

Personally I find a lot of the food here in American is a mix of tons of things. So 'foreign food' (I don't like using that word for food though) is something well beyond whatever they serve at Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom