Trying Foreign Foods?

BoarderPhreak

Sushi doesn't even need meat either. I don't eat fish and I can still eat some sushi...
Nope. Technically, sushi refers to the sticky/vinegar rice that it's usually prepared with - not so much the contents. You can get it regular (rice outside) or inside-out (seaweed outside).

Depending on how your local sushi cook makes it, a popular "noobie sushi" is the "California Roll" - usually with cucumber or avocado (though crab is also popular).

thomas998

I have had some stuff that I did not like the taste of either, but really, it is some of the live stuff that gets me. Those coconut palm worms, or whatever they are. The big fat white ones that are live, that they put in a mix of soy and chilies. The ones you hold by the head and bite off the rest, so you don't eat the pincers. Yeah, I think I will take a pass on that. I have eaten insects before, but not live and writhing around.
Bugs don't bother me. I remember in survival training we were eating live ants where the trick was to pinch their heads off right before you ate them so they wouldn't crawl back up your throat if you didn't chew them enough... They were actually much tastier than I thought they would be... or maybe it was because we had already gone so long with no food that anything would have tasted good... But the worst taste I remember was slices of abalone, the taste was exactly like what I remembered smelling when I walk by a trash can at a beach where people have cleaned their fish... I tried to choke it down but it wasn't going down no matter what.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Nope. Technically, sushi refers to the sticky/vinegar rice that it's usually prepared with - not so much the contents. You can get it regular (rice outside) or inside-out (seaweed outside).

Depending on how your local sushi cook makes it, a popular "noobie sushi" is the "California Roll" - usually with cucumber or avocado (though crab is also popular).
cooked crab, by the way... either that or surimi (fake crab sticks)

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
But the worst taste I remember was slices of abalone, the taste was exactly like what I remembered smelling when I walk by a trash can at a beach where people have cleaned their fish... I tried to choke it down but it wasn't going down no matter what.
You can have the bugs. I'll take the awabi...

correcaminos

I quite like cucumber and burdock. One of our locals has a good selection of vegetarian sushi. Their version of the California roll is inside out and has crab, avocado, and cucumber.

Phonedave

We were under the impression that sushi actually referred to the rice that served as the foundation for a roll and that the roll could be made with any filling, from cooked items or uncooked items. We were also led to believe that sashimi was just raw fish alone. People here seem to know a great deal.

Yes

Sushi pertains to the rice
Sashimi is raw fish on its own
Chirashi is a "rice bowl" a bowl (or pile) of sushi rice with stuff over it - usually raw fish.

Phonedave

Bugs don't bother me. I remember in survival training we were eating live ants where the trick was to pinch their heads off right before you ate them so they wouldn't crawl back up your throat if you didn't chew them enough... They were actually much tastier than I thought they would be... or maybe it was because we had already gone so long with no food that anything would have tasted good... But the worst taste I remember was slices of abalone, the taste was exactly like what I remembered smelling when I walk by a trash can at a beach where people have cleaned their fish... I tried to choke it down but it wasn't going down no matter what.

Ants I could do. It's just that grub that I think I would pass on. I have had abalone a number of times, it never smelled like rotting seafood to me. Maybe you got an "aged" piece.

thomas998

Ants I could do. It's just that grub that I think I would pass on. I have had abalone a number of times, it never smelled like rotting seafood to me. Maybe you got an "aged" piece.
Given some people like abalone I will hope that it was just a bad piece in my case, but after it don't think I could ever even try it again to see.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom