Trouble in paradise officially?

Goofyernmost

That WAS a response to a post about financing your wdw vacay on a credit card or paying for it outright. no one ever said anything about controlling situations, not having luck or being surrounded by supportive friends.
I am aware that no one said that. I said that because what people do and how they react in any situation is a direct result of their personal experiences at that moment. It is more of an evaluation of why people do what they do other then a flat out accusation that people that spend what they don't have, is only personal irresponsibility.

BaconPancakes

No one ever mentioned easy. Went from making minimum wage at Mickey D’s to six figures and no debt. Only took 30 years of busting tail, education, loads of sacrifice, wise decisions and a guardian angel. If I can do it anyone can. There are hiccups along the way and some outliers but any able bodied person can make it if that’s the path you choose. Along the way I NEVER moaned about other people with silver spoons, privilege and luck. More power to you if you’ve succeeded in achieving what satisfies you. And yes, I can afford the Grand Floridian but choose to stay at Fort Wilderness at 1/4 the price. All of my decisions still have consequences.
OMG you are just sooo amazing! Totes jelly!!! 💁🏻‍♀️

Dan Deesnee

OMG you are just sooo amazing! Totes jelly!!! 💁🏻‍♀️
Yes, mocking others adds a lot to the conversation. Thank you for the contribution.

In line with the thread topic, Ohana cut the shrimp from their menu and will now offer a shrimp casserole (less shrimp, more filling so you eat less expensive things like steak).

It seems the "less for more money" motto has father reach than anticipated.

Hoop Dee Doo will likely come back with a crappier menu and less stage show time with a higher price.

I also anticipate that most late hours in the parks is officially done for, for at least the next 1-2 years. Boo Bash is probably our preview of future after hours expensive events that will run continually thought the year. Villains nights again, something like a Mickey's Slumber Party (wave at your favorite characters for only $159 per person!), etc.

How long until Disney and it's venues / restaurants start to stack up negative reviews? Many families look at reviews before planning their trip. I wonder how many will still pay the exorbitant prices to go to WDW when over half the recent reviews are 1-3 stars? 🤔

Last edited:

dsinclair

Some people are born into great circumstances that result in an easier path to wealth, some aren't and still become wealthy.

Tell Oprah that poor people can't make it.

The attributes that allows a middle class person to rise to much higher levels of wealth are the same as for the lower classes. Determination to succeed, willingness to sacrifice (a lot), learn, continually grow good relationships even if it means leaving the place and people you grew up in and with as soon as possible.

Everyone that didn't die at birth is privileged.

Some have it easier than others but many would rather complain and ask for a hand out than a hand up.

(I was born into a low income crap hole and sacrificed nearly everything to get where I am. Family, friends, fun, entertainment and anything that was toxic and/or holding me back. MANY aren't willing to do that.)
I would suggest reading about the myth of meritocracy.

MickeyLuv'r

Ive said for years that unless youre in state disney isnt meant to be a yearly trip (though this message board seems to disagree with all you lucky people going often) Its at this point an every 3-5 years park, not just for cost but there are so many other places to see and do. Do disney the right way every few years then enjoy the rest of the world the other years. It will make disney much more special, and they probably wont have added much in that time anyway.
It does depends somewhat on how one does Disney though.

I mean some visitors always keep visits the same, but there are a number of ways to modify WDW visits to increase frequency.

Just three options:
1. Grand Floridian, 9 nights, 12/24-1/2, family of 4, 10-day park hopper plus = $13,720 - and even that is not a fancy suite, just a regular garden view room. A number of those go for upwards of $3,000 a night during Christmas week, though it should perhaps be noted that the big suites usually include club level. Ooph! the bungalows at Poly go for about $5,000/night Christmas week! Crazy!
2. Knights Inn Maingate $36/night - $145 total for 3 nights 9/14-9/17, with3 day non-hoppers $1329 = $1474
3. There are 2 very new hotels in the Flamingo Crossings area. Suites go for about $100/night, including breakfast 4 nights+ 4-day park tickets (UT)=$2064

Vacation food costs can also vary quite wildly. On the one hand, one can spend quite a bit eating at WDW's signature dining locations, especially if you add a nice bottle of wine. I found multiple options in the $75+ category. Oooph! a Macallan 25-year 2-ounce pour will set one back $140! Even a mere Johnnie Walker 2-ounce will set one back $40.

On the other hand. At times, I have survived WDW weekends on a very low food budget. I have tried almost every variation, but it often involves granola bars, cereal, maybe something like Crystal Light, whole fruits (oranges + apples). Low budget dinners can be bought from a grocery store, maybe fast food, pizza. Within WDW, Blaze Pizza is a pretty amazingly good deal. they sell an unlimited toppings to pizza for $11, and it is big enough to feed two kids/smaller appetites. (I mean not 2 teens, but those in the kid-meal range.) Drinking free ice water with meals also keeps costs low.

If we want something besides water, we just put a few cans in our day-bag, or else we wait until we're back at the hotel. One easy option is to bring something like hot chocolate packets, tea, instant drops. (I know, not the healthiest option, but neither is soda.)

I realize these cuts aren't for everyone, and I agree WDW is now expensive, I'm just trying pointing out a few strategies I've honed over the years for visiting WDW on a tighter budget. Still one more low-budget option is to visit FL is to go to WDW for just 1-2 days and pair that with a few days at a FL beach or maybe like a State/National Park. Parks can be a super-bargain way to have fun.

Dan Deesnee

I would suggest reading about the myth of meritocracy.

I'm well aware of that. And I disagree and think it is a horrible concept. It can essentially be interpreted as "Don't bother trying to be successful."

The Myth relies heavily on education level and quality, which is nowhere near as important to success as it was 20+ years ago. The Myth then constantly mentions vague "structural barriers". Again another cop out to demoralize lower class earners from bothering to try and succeed. The Myth essentially creates a boogey man, as if nearly the entire system works as one to keep them suppressed.

Rediculous. As if millions of people across countless industries in our capitalist system can coordinate such an effort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom