Tron vs Theater

As a Guest, which would you have preferred?

• I’m happy Tron was the project they built.

Votes: 29 63.0%
  • I would have preferred they built the Theater.

Votes: 17 37.0%

• Total voters

Sonconato

Original Poster
Back in 2016 (or somewhere around then) there were two projects being planned for MK…Tron and a Theater. Between the two, Tron proceeded forward and for some reason the Theater halted (but I don’t recall WDW ever officially announcing the cancellation of the project).

Now that Tron has been completed and up and running for a while, I was curious on people’s thoughts should they have allowed the Guests to vote on which project would have proceeded between Tron and the Theater.

Some thoughts to consider:
  • Duration: Does the attraction offer an acceptable length of time Guests experience or are longer durations preferred (Tron is approximately 2 minutes)?
  • All Inclusive: Can all Guests experience the attraction?
  • Flexibility: Could the attraction become obsolete, or could it change over time?
  • Weather: Does the attraction provide relief from the elements or is that even a concern?
  • Memories: Does the attraction yield long term memories one can reflect on?
Assuming that most or all Guests would have loved to have both attractions available to experience, the reality is that only one was selected to move forward to completion. With that said, if Guests had originally had a voice as to which attraction was to move forward, which attraction would you have chosen and why? It’s not required that you have experienced Tron to respond.

Smiley/OCD

I voted Tron simply because rides are ALWAYS better than attractions/experiences/shows & movies…I mean, after all, Disney WAS built for rides first…it doesn’t have to be one OR the other…I’m sure the theatre idea can and will be revisited in the future. As far as Tomorrowland is concerned, we still have an empty building where Stitch was, Buzz should really be moved to TSL now that it’s up and running in HWD so that’s 2 spots and the speedway can be reconfigured and updated to create another footprint. I’ll take a new, modern ride over a theater any day of the week.

drizgirl

Back in 2016 (or somewhere around then) there were two projects being planned for MK…Tron and a Theater. Between the two, Tron proceeded forward and for some reason the Theater halted (but I don’t recall WDW ever officially announcing the cancellation of the project).

Now that Tron has been completed and up and running for a while, I was curious on people’s thoughts should they have allowed the Guests to vote on which project would have proceeded between Tron and the Theater.

Some thoughts to consider:
  • Duration: Does the attraction offer an acceptable length of time Guests experience or are longer durations preferred (Tron is approximately 2 minutes)?
  • All Inclusive: Can all Guests experience the attraction?
  • Flexibility: Could the attraction become obsolete, or could it change over time?
  • Weather: Does the attraction provide relief from the elements or is that even a concern?
  • Memories: Does the attraction yield long term memories one can reflect on?
Assuming that most or all Guests would have loved to have both attractions available to experience, the reality is that only one was selected to move forward to completion. With that said, if Guests had originally had a voice as to which attraction was to move forward, which attraction would you have chosen and why? It’s not required that you have experienced Tron to respond.
Which one can you sell LL for?

Andrew25

Which one can you sell LL for?

I'm actually surprised WDW hasn't pulled the reserved seating card at stage shows yet. SeaWorld offers that for their shows and surprisingly has some takers. I'm willing to bet there's a healthy market for reserved viewing at some of the WDW daytime shows.

Smiley/OCD

I'm actually surprised WDW hasn't pulled the reserved seating card at stage shows yet. SeaWorld offers that for their shows and surprisingly has some takers. I'm willing to bet there's a healthy market for reserved viewing at some of the WDW daytime shows.
Can’t wait to see how much they’ll charge for preferred seating at CoP…

Smiley/OCD

If someone wants to spend $40 bucks to get preferred seating, have at it…I know it probably won’t happen, but I’d really like to see that whole system implode.

ETA: A family of 4 @10.00 each

ppete1975

Devils advocate.
Theater is built.
We would have heard for the rest of time that we should have gotten tron. Not just the people on here but also from casual fans.
There would have been lifetime FOMO and complaints
And with splash closing a ride was needed (actually RIDES are needed)

I dont even think its truly Tron vs Theater

I think it comes down to any RIDE vs any theater.

Most consumers that have never been or very rarely would easily vote for haunted mansion, pirates, splash, teacups, even the carousel over philharmagic, COP, hall of presidents etc... a good handful probably have heard of the rides, but not the theater style attractions.

If voting today regardless of theme (could be pixar, or star wars) most people would rather have a buzz ride over a monster comedy show, even if they have done neither.

Theres also the movement,
People dont want to sit still long enough for any show, yet will ride anything knowing it will be over quickly if they dont like it.

JIMINYCR

Sadly Disney will never ask guests for their opinion or value their input regarding a project. Theyve proven in the past that when it comes to keeping or discarding something, we dont count. I'm eager for any added attraction that provides a thrill. I havent been on Tron yet so I cant address how it is.
But the theater project really peaked my interest and if it provided Broadway entertainment that was top notch, I think guests would have filled the seating. It would have been on a completely different scale than Philharmagic or HoP which doesnt compare. But we dont know how or what Dis would have done to make it attractive or how the shows would have run. Finding Nemo certainly was always packed whenever Ive been to AK so that shows that type of live entertainment will draw guests in.

drizgirl

I'm surprised they don't have more shows in the G+ system since it's an easy way to pad the inventory. But selling it through LL would be a tougher road. Probably too many complaints.

jannerUK

Going with two sets of the older generation the buy in for Disney (and Seaworld & Water Parks) is that it does have relaxing shows and that. There is stuff they dont have to "Ride". Its what worries me for them about Universal in that there is very little shows for them to watch. I like fact Disney has COP (My favourite memory ride), Tiki, Presidents, CBJ etc

Sonconato

Original Poster
Devils advocate.
Theater is built.
We would have heard for the rest of time that we should have gotten tron. Not just the people on here but also from casual fans.
There would have been lifetime FOMO and complaints
And with splash closing a ride was needed (actually RIDES are needed)

I dont even think its truly Tron vs Theater

I think it comes down to any RIDE vs any theater.

Most consumers that have never been or very rarely would easily vote for haunted mansion, pirates, splash, teacups, even the carousel over philharmagic, COP, hall of presidents etc... a good handful probably have heard of the rides, but not the theater style attractions.

If voting today regardless of theme (could be pixar, or star wars) most people would rather have a buzz ride over a monster comedy show, even if they have done neither.

Theres also the movement,
People dont want to sit still long enough for any show, yet will ride anything knowing it will be over quickly if they dont like it.
As for your first comment about "if the Theater was built", I would have to agree with you on that because both were on the boards and the rug was pulled out from one of them.

Also, I get what you're saying here but the Theater in question, from my understanding, is nothing like those you listed above. The Theater that was cancelled was to be like a Broadway Theater where they could change out the theme of a production fairly frequently. It wouldn't have been specifically themed like those others. I don't think I would even put "Festival of the Lion King" or "Nemo" from AK in the same category as this Theater.

As for whether "most consumers would easily vote for one over the other", this remains to be seen...which is the point of the poll.

Sonconato

Original Poster
Sadly Disney will never ask guests for their opinion or value their input regarding a project. Theyve proven in the past that when it comes to keeping or discarding something, we dont count. I'm eager for any added attraction that provides a thrill. I havent been on Tron yet so I cant address how it is.
But the theater project really peaked my interest and if it provided Broadway entertainment that was top notch, I think guests would have filled the seating. It would have been on a completely different scale than Philharmagic or HoP which doesnt compare. But we dont know how or what Dis would have done to make it attractive or how the shows would have run. Finding Nemo certainly was always packed whenever Ive been to AK so that shows that type of live entertainment will draw guests in.
Sadly, I agree 100% about they NOT getting input from Guests. Perhaps some of the frustrations we see on these threads now are a result of WDW not really caring about what Guests think.

Musical Mermaid

Tron hurt my back and I didn't understand the ride all that well. We were supposed to be racing, but there's not a second track and I never saw any other racers. I've only ridden once though, so I easily could've missed something. It looked cool from the outside, but that's about it. The only way I'd do it again is if the line was super short and I rode in the regular seat. The other coasters are more fun for me.

I would have preferred the theater 100%.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom