Tripods?!

Goofnut1980

Original Poster
When did Disney stop enforcing the tripod policy?? I thought you were not allowed to have a tripod. But, as I sit here waiting for Wishes. There are a minimum of 40 tripods around me and their owners are getting mad when people hit them or get close to them!! Uh it's dark out and you have a black tripod. Kinda hard to see.

sculljoey

When did Disney stop enforcing the tripod policy?? I thought you were not allowed to have a tripod. But, as I sit here waiting for Wishes. There are a minimum of 40 tripods around me and their owners are getting mad when people hit them or get close to them!! Uh it's dark out and you have a black tripod. Kinda hard to see.

Disney has never banned tripods. As long as it can fold into a backpack, it's fair game and allowed per their policy

Cmdr_Crimson

Mini tripods are fine...I bring this one and have had no problems...
mripod.jpg

donsullivan

Premium Member

There is no ban on tripods at WDW and there never was. If it can be collapsed to a size that could fit into a normal sized backpack it can be brought into any of the parks and used. I was actually among those with a tripod on MSUSA to photograph Wishes last night. I found last night that 'most' of those with tripods got there very, very early to stake out their preferred spot and from what I saw (I didn't see anywhere near 40) the tripods were clustered in groups of 5 or 6 together and they clustered as tightly together as they could to reduce the space they take up. By getting there early when it was still light, they got their preferred spot and it was very clear they were there when others showed up to see Wishes.

I cannot possibly speak for all of those with tripods but 'most' that I know understand and respect the protocols of doing their best to not be an obstruction when using one in the parks. However, I cannot say I've experienced the same for guests (and I am absolutely generalizing here). Most 'regular' photographers in the parks have experienced the guest who had to move through the crowd at the speed of light only 'after' the lights went down and it was dark and has no regard for anyone around them when doing so. Or the guest incapable of standing still next to them who keeps bumping into the tripod, thus ruining the shot they were trying to get. When a photographer has many thousands of dollars worth of camera gear stacked on that tripod, they are understandably protective of that investment. When they staked out there preferred spot an hour or longer before the show and a guest shows up at the last second and they seem to have only regard for themselves and feel it's appropriate to push there way thru the crowd, you are going to get a reaction.

Having said that, there is no doubt there is an increased number of tripods around during Wishes right now due to the fact that the show ends its run in a couple of days. Lots of folks are taking their last chance to photograph it before the end of the week. I would not be surprised for the number of tripods to increase each night over this week and next as Wishes ends and the new show starts up.

The photographers and their tripods do have as much right to be there as every other guest. However, they do have a responsibility to be reasonable in how much space they take up and the like. By the same token, they also have a right not to have people bumping into their gear while doing so and using the fact that it's 'dark' as an excuse for their behavior. Both groups can live comfortably and enjoyably in the park when they respect each other and their space

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom