Tripod Protocol at DLP?

donsullivan

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm headed back to DLP in late May and was wondering if anyone has an perspective on tripod protocols at DLP. Are they similar WDW, where if you are being respectful of others around you there will not be an issue, or is it stricter than that? The last time I was there was '93 and carrying a tripod was not even on the radar for me.

peep

I want to say it's not allowed? I don't think I've seen anyone use one. Selfie sticks are obviously banned but you do see the occasional one snuck through security.

Someone over on magicforum.eu asked a similar question and I think this response might be helpful...

This all depends on your usage. Someone using it for the parade got told to take it down (in October) but I have seen people use them for dreams. My advice would be keep it out of the way of people and nobody will cause a fuss but if it obscures views or is in the way you will be told to take them down.

douglasrickard

I'm headed back to DLP in late May and was wondering if anyone has an perspective on tripod protocols at DLP. Are they similar WDW, where if you are being respectful of others around you there will not be an issue, or is it stricter than that? The last time I was there was '93 and carrying a tripod was not even on the radar for me.
I think I remember seeing a sign saying no camera extensions or something.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanks, Everything I'm seeing seems to indicate the protocols are essentially the same as WDW. Extension Poles (aka: Selfie Sticks) are not allowed but it seems tripods are allowed as long as you are respectful of others and not making an obstruction of yourself they do not seem to have a problem.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Original Poster
So I just spent 3 days on a last minute trip to DLP and have my own answer to the question. There are absolutely no issues with tripods at all. There is indeed a published restriction on selfie sticks and other extension poles, that is not being enforced by CM's at all. There were countless selfie stick and GoPro extension poles all over the place. They even announce not to use them before the parade but they pop up all over the place and not a peep from CM's to enforce the 'ban'.

I didn't see a lot of tripods around but had absolutely no issues bringing mine in, or using it. I caught up with 2 others who also had tripods and said they had no issues at all and had already been there for a number of days already when I arrived.

dave&di

I was there a few days ago, i saw someone using a tripod, they were not in the way and standing at the edge of an area. I don't know if it would be a problem if it was a parade or show. They were very strict about selfie sticks, while on the Studios Tram Tour the CM kept interrupting the commentary to tell someone to put the selfie stick away.......although feel free to smoke wherever you want!

donsullivan

Premium Member
Original Poster
I also learned while I was there this week why there are so few few night photographs of Fantasyland at Disneyland Paris. The entirety of Fantasyland is completely shut down and evacuated in advance of Illuminations. We were hoping to get a good shot of the back of the castle and got shooed out by CM's as they slowly pushed the barriers further and further back. And when they sweep it, you have to go all the way around the back trail to Discoveryland since the parade path is also blocked for the fireworks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom