Trip Report: A great time had by all

007mickey

Original Poster
Well all good things must come to an end…we just got back from our 10 day “out west” trip on Sunday which included a 4 night 3 day stay at DLR. The family had a great time. We have been to WDW many times but this was our first family trip to “the happiest place on earth”. The last time I was there, I was too young to really remember anything.

We arrived on a Tuesday night around 7 to check into the DLH. I pulled up expecting some traffic, only to find one car at the porte cochere and a pleasant cast member greeting. We easily got checked in and our standard room at the Fantasy Tower was waiting. It instantly seemed more laid back than all our hectic arrivals at WDW. The room was fantastic with a pull out day bed (great for our youngest) and a side view of DL and the Matterhorn. Size wise it reminded us of the Contemporary. We got settled in and went exploring to end up at Trader Sam’s for some food and drink. It was after 8:30 so we sat outside and the wife and I commented on how great it was to soak in the atmosphere on the comfy couch listening to live music, eating a variety of yummy finger foods, sipping on a cocktail. We all enjoyed our opening night. Side note: At the advice of Figments Friend, I took my youngest to see the BTMRR model at the Frontier Tower, he loved it!

Hit DCA early Wednesday at 7 with our extra magic hour and went first thing to RSR. What a fantastic ride, it didn't disappoint. We had hoped to get a fastpass for later ride but after the initial wait of 25 min, the FP line was looking a little too long and we wanted to see as much as possible. Luigi’s Flying Tires were closed the entire time, bummer. Junkyard Jamboree was fun as we rode it twice just to hear the music. Oldest son enjoyed Cali Screamin’ 4 times that day (thanks to FP’s and younger brother opting out). Couldn't believe we able to get on TSM and Soarin’ with so little wait. Those two alone at WDW can cause you a lot of line time. Youngest son loved Goofy’s Sky School (2 times much to my wife’s dismay). Slight downer: I had made reservations at the Carthay Circle thinking you could get WOC passes as long as you ordered an entree and appetizer and/or dessert. Turns out you had to order from a separate three course menu to get the WOC passes. Although the menu was limited, we still opted to do it and grab the passes. Food was fine but really wanted the whole menu option. I will say our WOC passes were good and the boys both had nice viewing for the show with little prep/wait time, so it was all good in the end. Took about a 2 hour break mid day for some swimming / down time back at DLH (really enjoyed that place). Enjoyed using the monorail for quick getaways back to the hotel. Headed back about 6 and stayed till 9:45 and called it a night with another early morning coming Thursday for DL. Overall impression of DCA - good, with Cars Land being the obvious “wow factor”.

Day two and three are combined below as we decided to forgo another DCA visit and spend next two days at DL.

Woke up and arrived at DL about 7:30 and went straight over to Indy…it was down. Sinking feeling went over us as we were really excited to experience this one. Left and went over SM and whoa, what a change from WDW (and this wasn't the only attraction). It was awesome and quickly became the boy’s favorite. The ride was so smooth, darker and the soundtrack…well there actually is one. My youngest son promptly forgot about BTMRR being down and requested SM several more times (4 times to be exact). Yes, overall Tomorrowland theme is pretty disappointing with Astro Orbitor being in a strange location and no Wedway is dreadful but it was nice to get on Buzz without waiting 45 min either. Went back over to Fantasyland to hit the Matterhorn and wow what a rough ride! I imagine that must be what a real bobsled feels like, the boys pushed for another ride the next day and we relented (one of those must do’s at DL). The look and feel of DL Fantasyland puts WDW’s to shame. Hit all the fantasyland rides and thought my wife was going to shed a tear about riding Toad that she misses so much from WDW. Enjoyed experiencing the attractions that are not at WDW from the Storybook Land Canal Boats to Snow White, to Alice, to Pinocchio, to the Castle walkthrough. Headed back to Indy and it was working!! Rode with 20 min wait and we all really enjoyed it so we got FP’s next day for a second ride. It is definitely one of those attractions to ride more than once to “see it all”. Rode JC twice, once during the day and another at night. JC at night is just fun. New Orleans Square was tops for me, just loved the coziness. Pirates was another blow away moment compared to what we were used to (hit that one 3 times). HM (rode twice) was a little different in some ways but very similar in others. I loved that when you left the stretching room you weren't funneled into a “cattle chute”. Those that have been to WDW will know what I mean. Had reservations at Blue Bayou, it was the family favorite. Requested a water side table and within 20 minutes we were sitting by the bayou listening to the banjo play in the background. Food was wonderful. Disappointed the fort is “closed” on TSI but the boys loved the little caves to explore. Toontown is done right; it really makes you wonder what WDW was trying to do. After watching Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, I now see where portions of Hall of Presidents and The American Adventure get their cues from. Some of the same pictures and music are used except DL has cleaner images and better sound. I think some of it has to do with a smaller, more intimate theater than its WDW siblings. Spent several hours both days back at the pool (great idea). Ate at Hungry Bear and Plaza Inn. Plaza was especially good; the fried chicken and the cobb salad were really tasty. We waited in line way too long (twice) for Dole Whips, had Mickey Premium Bar, jalapeno and cream cheese stuffed pretzels, beignets and mint juleps. Overall impression of DL – it is awesome, a “must do” for any true Disney lover.

The whole family agreed in comparing DL to MK, we would all choose DL. It worked out great that our time at DLR was one of several stops for our trip out west. Definitely wouldn't want to travel all that way to just see DLR and nothing else and that is one of the differences from WDW. Spending a week (or more) at WDW is pretty commonplace and is justifiable due to its size. Another noticeable difference was how much more emphasis is put into the queue lines at WDW. I guess I get it though, the temperatures and rain at WDW are far greater and the need to get folks “out of the elements” is something TDO feels important (I don’t disagree) but part of me would like a little more attention on the attractions themselves. Something small but I noticed as I walked to get a stuffed pretzel at Bengal BBQ and then onto the Coke refreshment on Main Street is that they both didn't open till 11:00 am, what?!? I've been up since 6 am and kinda want a snack, can I not get one? I thought this was really odd.

Sorry for the length but wanted to tell a little bit about our visit. I will be posting photos in the pics section soon. Thanks to all for the information that is shared on this website.

Zman-ks

Great report! :)
75.gif

Californian Elitist

I enjoyed reading your fun report. It sounds like you had a great time.:)

I have two questions, though. Besides World of Color, did you and your family see any other shows? Second question, what else did you do in California?

Looking forward to the photos.

dweezil78

After watching Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, I now see where portions of Hall of Presidents and The American Adventure get their cues from. Some of the same pictures and music are used except DL has cleaner images and better sound. I think some of it has to do with a smaller, more intimate theater than its WDW siblings.

Great trip report, thanks for posting!!! FYI... Lincoln got a complete re-do (new show, animatronic) in 2009 so everything is all new and HD-like. I'm pretty certain Lincoln incorporated the elements of American Adventure in the update (or an update before that) with elements of the original Lincoln show from '64 for a megamix of sorts -- although obviously Hall of Presidents and AA have a lot to owe to Lincoln regardless!

007mickey

Original Poster
I enjoyed reading your fun report. It sounds like you had a great time.:)

I have two questions, though. Besides World of Color, did you and your family see any other shows? Second question, what else did you do in California?

Looking forward to the photos.

Yes, I feel bad I forgot about Aladdin. I'm not a Broadway type person but the show was phenomenal. The wife loved it and even the boys really enjoyed it. The Genie (no surprise) stole the show. Saw only snippets of Fantasmic and a good bit of the DL fireworks and parade.

Our trip started in Phoenix with stops along the way at Montezuma Castle, Bell Rock Tower, Sedona and Slide Rock Falls. Then to Williams and the Grand Canyon. Then to Hoover Dam and Vegas. Then to Los Angeles for a day (went by Walt and Roy's 1st homes on Lyric Ave then went by Walt's 2nd home on Working Way). We also made stops at the Gamble house in Pasadena, Griffith Observatory, Yuca's for tacos, Seinfeld apt. (I'm a huge fan), drove by Grauman's, Sunset Strip, Rodeo Dr, hung out for awhile at Santa Monica Pier and stopped for a donut at Randy's. Then to DLR and finally to San Diego to see family for a day before flying back home.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Nice trip report, we just got back from a 15 day road trip out west with 5 days at DL. We noticed too that there weren't as many options for snacks open until later in the day too at DL. We were disappointed too that Big Thunder was down, but comforted ourselved with multiple rides on Space and the Matterhorn!

TuffyCatt

Loved your report, thanks for sharing! We're leaving on Sunday for our first trip to DLR ever, so it was nice to read about your trip. We have reservations for Blue Bayou and Carthay Circle too! :)

007mickey

Original Poster
Nice trip report, we just got back from a 15 day road trip out west with 5 days at DL. We noticed too that there weren't as many options for snacks open until later in the day too at DL. We were disappointed too that Big Thunder was down, but comforted ourselved with multiple rides on Space and the Matterhorn!

Thanks. I wish we could have had 15 days! Two weeks would have been nice, so much to see.

007mickey

Original Poster
Loved your report, thanks for sharing! We're leaving on Sunday for our first trip to DLR ever, so it was nice to read about your trip. We have reservations for Blue Bayou and Carthay Circle too! :)

Request a waterside table at Blue Bayou when you check in. I did, we waited about 20 min and my request was granted! It was kinda neat because as they were leading us to our table, my youngest son said "I hope we get seated by the water". He was really excited about being right by the water to watch the POC boats go by. I have to admit, the whole family thought is was pretty cool too. It was a very enjoyable meal. Hope your trip goes as great as ours did.

007mickey

Original Poster
Two whole weeks??? At the Disneyland Resort??? I couldn't imagine it.

Nooooooo, was talking about 15 days "out west". I really can't even imagine two weeks at WDW honestly. 4 days at DLR would be perfect, 5 would be max for our family based on our 3 day trip.

teacherlady19

Two weeks out in the West is a good amount of time. I'd love to read about your other SoCal adventures! To TuffyCat, maybe we'll pass each other -- we're coming in Sunday (21st) for a 2.5 day adventure in the park. I'll be with 6 other people at the height of our visit, only 4 others at first.

Donna

TuffyCatt

Two weeks out in the West is a good amount of time. I'd love to read about your other SoCal adventures! To TuffyCat, maybe we'll pass each other -- we're coming in Sunday (21st) for a 2.5 day adventure in the park. I'll be with 6 other people at the height of our visit, only 4 others at first.

Donna

Donna - excited to hear we'll be sharing our adventures at the same time! We'll be in the parks the 22nd to the 26th and there will be three of us the whole time. Looking forward to comparing notes when we get back!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom