Trip Report 13 Sept - 27 Sept

Juggler

So we had two weeks of fun.

13th Sept. (DAY 1) Arrived at Orlando Airport after an eight and a half hour flight from the UK... Got our bags and headed off to Immigrations. Never seen anything like it in my life. They had a dog sniffing round us. Drug sniffer I thought... boy was I wrong. Fruit sniffing dog! We don't have those in the UK. It went crazy when it got to one family and it turned out the little girl had an apple in the bottom of her bag. Very clever!

Got to the metal detectors and the security chap told me to put my jacket and rucksack on the x-ray machine, then walk through the scanner... I was not on the ball after the flight and following the security guards instruction to the letter like a sheep. The scanner alarm rang. In my pocket I had my house keys, keys for our luggage, mobile phone, watch, money, etc. He never told me to empty my pockets!!! So security took me to one side and wanted to know why I had tried to get all this through security...."he said my jacket and bag... that what he got!" I was with them for about 20 minutes and I have to say they are very nice people and did apologise for the delay. As I pointed out hey what's 20 minutes of a two week vacation, not a problem. My wife was really worried as she had already gone through and didn't know what was happening to me. Turns out she was only worried because I had all the travellers cheques... ain't love wonderful! :lol

Arrived at the Dolphin Hotel. A bit nervous about it as I'd had very mixed reviews. Turned out ok thought. Very expensive! But I'm from Yorkshire in the UK and we are known for being tight with money. :)
We had a drink at the bar in the lobby... 3 Southern Comforts with Sprite and a Jack D for me. The Bill $33... Plus tip..... HOW MUCH! May be it's me but I thought that was expensive even for a hotel. They have lots of restaurants which we found very expensive too. Although I can recommend "TUBBIES BUFFERTERIA" as a cheaper option.

(DAY 2) Off to MGM. MY GOD! The place was nearly empty!! Did Tower of Terror, first time in about 5 years. Boy have they changed that ride! It was great. Then on to the rock and roll coaster, my first time on this. Again ace. All this in about the first 20 minutes in the park we had no queue! Did the rest, Indy, Star Wars, Back Lot Tour, etc. Noticed quite a few changes since my last visit nearly 2 years ago.

(DAY 3) Typhoon Lagoon. Quite a few people and very hot! Despite my best attempts to not getting sunburnt, I got sunburnt! My friend got really burnt!

(DAY 4) Free shopping trip provided by our travel company.... Billed as a day of rest... they have to be joking!!!

(Day 5) As my friend was still recovering from his day in the sun we got a taxi to Belz Mall at the top of I Drive. Lots of money spent! Down I drive to the Mercado Mall. When I first vacationed in Orland we stayed near the MM and it used to be a nice place to walk round with some interesting shops and a nice friendly atmosphere. Most of the shops are empty. Very sad to see it like this. I guess Point Orlando has taken most of the trade... But I don't like PO as it's expensive.

I've probably put you to sleep after all that... so I'll do the rest later if anyone is interested.

Juggler

Original Poster
Part 2

(DAY 6) EPCOT. As we stayed in the Dolphin we could walk to Epcot and get in the park at the entrance between the UK and France. The four of us arrived at 9:45am. Not a person in sight! Honest! I have a photo of Epcot's version of the UK, not a single person on it. Spooky, really spooky. Test Track, walked straight on, no queue. Honey I Shrunk the audience, was only about half full, if that. They actually said "You don't have to move all the way along the row! about 2 thirds will do and no video taping or flash......". My wife and I went for a rest, back at the hotel and our friends stayed for the fire works and got caught in the rain walking back. I found this way funnier than they did! :lol:

(DAY 7) MK. Straight on Space Mountain no queue.. very tame ride after doing the MGM rides. Buzz Lightyear, again straight on. I like that ride! WOW! My first queue. Thunder mountain, about 5-10 minutes... again very tame. Park closed at 6PM... they only have fire works on Saturday nights. Haunted Mansion was closed for both weeks. No cable car ride any more, no lion king. Quite a few things closed down. No queue for "it's... it's a" no I can't bring my self to say it.... the brain washing irritating doll ride.... :hammer: I only went on it because it was my friends first visit and we had given it this really big build up. "It's the best ride in all of Florida, you've got to go on it!" Longest queue time said 30 minutes for Peter Pan... "30 minutes I'm not queuing for 30 minutes". A few years back 30 minutes would have been classed as a short queue.

(DAY 8) Universal Studios. Was going to do Spiderman but it was broken that day. Seemed to have more people than Disney but that was probably an illusion because the parks are smaller. Very sad at missing Kong, which they closed. But I got to ride Hanna Barbara and Hitchcock for the last time before the close them too. All very strange. Rock and roll monster show was only on twice a day as was the stunt show. The park closed at 6pm, no night time stunt show on the lake. Queued for 20 minutes to get on Jaws. MIB, BTTF, EarthQ, Twister, ET all no queues. Lots of them had reduced running time. T2 was only running from 11am, every half an hour or so.

I love US but they need to do something about the number of rides they have closed or are going to closing. 1 has just closed, 2 more soon. Plus Murder she wrote(which became Xena) closed and never reopened. How can they justify price increases if half the park is closed. Same goes for Disney. My Disney ticket was not cheaper this time but the parks opened later, closed earlier and lots of rides had been closed. MK only had fire works one day a week. No early entry for Disney resort guests. Fine if they have to do that but don't do that and increase the ticket price! :brick: OK I've finished now! :lol:

Part 3 to follow when I've writen it!

Upvote 0

moosicalnwdwmad

Part 2

(DAY 6) EPCOT. As we stayed in the Dolphin we could walk to Epcot and get in the park at the entrance between the UK and France. The four of us arrived at 9:45am. Not a person in sight! Honest! I have a photo of Epcot's version of the UK, not a single person on it. Spooky, really spooky. Test Track, walked straight on, no queue. Honey I Shrunk the audience, was only about half full, if that. They actually said "You don't have to move all the way along the row! about 2 thirds will do and no video taping or flash......". My wife and I went for a rest, back at the hotel and our friends stayed for the fire works and got caught in the rain walking back. I found this way funnier than they did! :lol:

(DAY 7) MK. Straight on Space Mountain no queue.. very tame ride after doing the MGM rides. Buzz Lightyear, again straight on. I like that ride! WOW! My first queue. Thunder mountain, about 5-10 minutes... again very tame. Park closed at 6PM... they only have fire works on Saturday nights. Haunted Mansion was closed for both weeks. No cable car ride any more, no lion king. Quite a few things closed down. No queue for "it's... it's a" no I can't bring my self to say it.... the brain washing irritating doll ride.... :hammer: I only went on it because it was my friends first visit and we had given it this really big build up. "It's the best ride in all of Florida, you've got to go on it!" Longest queue time said 30 minutes for Peter Pan... "30 minutes I'm not queuing for 30 minutes". A few years back 30 minutes would have been classed as a short queue.

(DAY 8) Universal Studios. Was going to do Spiderman but it was broken that day. Seemed to have more people than Disney but that was probably an illusion because the parks are smaller. Very sad at missing Kong, which they closed. But I got to ride Hanna Barbara and Hitchcock for the last time before the close them too. All very strange. Rock and roll monster show was only on twice a day as was the stunt show. The park closed at 6pm, no night time stunt show on the lake. Queued for 20 minutes to get on Jaws. MIB, BTTF, EarthQ, Twister, ET all no queues. Lots of them had reduced running time. T2 was only running from 11am, every half an hour or so.

I love US but they need to do something about the number of rides they have closed or are going to closing. 1 has just closed, 2 more soon. Plus Murder she wrote(which became Xena) closed and never reopened. How can they justify price increases if half the park is closed. Same goes for Disney. My Disney ticket was not cheaper this time but the parks opened later, closed earlier and lots of rides had been closed. MK only had fire works one day a week. No early entry for Disney resort guests. Fine if they have to do that but don't do that and increase the ticket price! :brick: OK I've finished now! :lol:

Part 3 to follow when I've writen it!

Did you not get the Extra Magic Hours??

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Um... :lookaroun

This TR is from 2002...

I don't think the OP is going to be adding anything any time soon.

Upvote 0

figmentmom

Hee hee...I just looked under "New Posts" and there it was - never occurred to me to check the date of the original post! Dumb me - :eek:

Still, a fun trip report is a fun trip report! :ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Hee hee...I just looked under "New Posts" and there it was - never occurred to me to check the date of the original post! Dumb me - :eek:

Still, a fun trip report is a fun trip report! :ROFLOL:
Not so dumb... I only noticed because the dates in the title hadn't finished yet... Otherwise I'd have jumped into the same mode of thinking it was current.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom