Trip Report - 11/23-11/30

DojoGrant

Day One - Check-In at Animal Kingdom Lodge

This was my second trip to Disney World, though the first time was when I was six (in 1989), and neither Animal Kingdom nor MGM Studios were open that Spring Break when we went, so this trip was really a new experience to me. I went with my younger brother, 13, and my parents. I'm 19, by the way.

We drove from Columbus, MS, about 30 minutes from where I'm at college (MSU), and left at 6:30am for a 12 hour drive to Orlando. We got a little bit worried, because all the way down Interstate 75, we didn't see a single sign for Disney World (not even billboards!), and we were worried that we were going the wrong way! We finally found the turnpike, and we finally started getting some buildboards. Once we hit I-4, we got backed up in about an hour of bumper-to-bumper traffic, but once we made it onto Disney property, it was smooth sailing, and we could already feel the Disney magic!

We stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, which, as you probably know, is just about all the way to the far west of the park. We originally signed up for the Carribean Beach Resort, but it later closed down for refurbishment. However, they bumped us up to a Deluxe Resort from a Moderate Resort, so no complaints!

We arrived just after dark, and the hotel was truly a sight to behold! There were already Christmas lights up on things outside the park. We were also really impressed with the tight security with parking. The service was very good, and everyone was amazingly friendly. The inside lobby was gorgeously designed, and all decked out for Christmas, with a huge tree and everything. We didn't have a room overlooking the animals, which is a pity, but again, we got bumped up to this resort for no extra cost! After we had all our luggage situated, we walked around the hotel, exploring the nooks and crannies, and went out to look out into the animals. There wasn't much to see (most were hiding in the shadows), but we could spot a few, thanks to a guide that was out and about. We also looked around for some of the hidden Micky Mouse symbols hidden throughout the hotel.

It was fairly cold (and we had NOT brought long-sleeve shirts), but luckily things warmed up for the next day. We grabbed a bite to eat at The Mara (the fast-food place to eat at the lodge), and ended up paying $30 something for some less than spectacular burgers. Thank goodness we were on the Discovery Magic program, so we ate great dinners the rest of the week on our wishes!

We all went to bed early (it had been a long, cramped drive), and got up early for Animal Kingdom on Sunday. More soon!

DojoGrant

Original Poster
Day Two - Animal Kingdom/Downtown Disney/DisneyQuest

We all woke up at 6am to get ready for the day at Animal Kingdom, leaving the hotel by 8:20 to make sure and get to the park before opening. The park was scheduled to open at 9, but we were in the park by 8:40 and went straight for the Tree of Life and inside to catch the first showing of It's Tough to Be a Bug. This was a blast, and a great way to start our Disney trip!

After that we headed into DinoLand U.S.A., and I decided to be brave and ride Primeval Whirl before we hit up DINOSAUR. I'm always been terrified by rollercoasters, but I really enjoyed this one (though I rode it by myself - my family is all chickens!). The lines were non-existant at this point. After this, we headed into Dinosaur, with only about a 5 minute wait, and really enjoyed that.

We wanted to catch Tarzan Rocks!, but we never could really be at that area for the show times, so we ended up not seeing it. However, we did see Festival of the Lion King, which was really really really good. The acrobatics, song, dance, and robotics were all wonderful, and it really got us more in the Disney mood.

We ate lunch at the RainForest Cafe (on wishes), so we splurged, of course. By that time, the park started to get more crowded. It took us a while to find the entrance to the Discovery Trails around the Tree of Life, but we finally found those, and wandered around the tree roots, taking in all the amazing animal carvings. After this, we headed up into Africa to ride the Kilimanjaro Safaris, with only about a 20 minute wait. Not bad at all, and most of the animals were out and about. We actually had to stop once to let some frightened ostriches run across the road! We then walked through the Pangani Forest Exploration Trail, which was less than impressive (felt like any good zoo). No one was really interested in going to Conservation Station, so we skipped that, and headed to Asia, taking some great shots of all the local and the Tree of Life from a distance.

In Asia, my little brother and I rode Kali River Rapids and got soaked (we were sitting in the seats that got the wettest, unbeknowenst to us), but it was a lot of fun. We found my parents waiting on a bench, and headed into the Maharajah Jungle Trek, which was really gorgeous. Only problem was that about 3/4 into it, my mother realized that she did not have her purse on her! She took off back towards the bench in one direction, and my brother and I ran the other way, and we got back to the bench to find her purse still there, untouched. Thank God for that! The trek for her purse was more thrilling than trekking through the ruins! :)

Animal Kingdom was easily our least favorite park, because a lot of the time it did feel much like a souped up zoo. It was also our first day, and we got pretty tired from all the walking, and the park just didn't have enough Disney flair to it. We left about 4:00pm, and my father went back to the hotel to take a nap, while we headed to Downtown Disney. Our bus took us to the Marketplace, and we walked (rather fast) all the down to the West Side to check out DisneyQuest. My mom, brother and I all tested out the virtual reality games, and we made our own toys on a computer, and then bought real life versions of them (I have mine by my computer). My brother also made a custom song and got a CD of it, and I made a few custom roller coasters and rode them in the simulator (a LOT of fun). I highly recommend DisneyQuest if you have the time. It's a very neat place just to check out the technology.

We went back to the hotel that night to eat at Jiko, a restaurant in the lodge. We used more wishes and again splurged, ordering the most expensive meals on the menu. It felt good not to have to worry about prices (because Disney food is pricey!).

That night my brother and I took a quick swim in the huge pool. It was pretty cold outside by then, but the pool was warmed (it was steaming!). After a few minutes in the spa, we then went to bed early enough to get ready for a full day at the Magic Kingdom the following day.

Upvote 0

DojoGrant

Original Poster
It's been a busy day; haven't had time to write up more day reports! I'll try and write about our days at Magic Kingdom and Epcot tomorrow, followed by MGM Studios, a day park-hopping, and Universal the next day. Thanks for your patience!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom