Trip planning with everything going on..

thomas998

When Disney announces the date they will be open again. Right now why would anyone want to start making plans when the parks are closed with no stated rime to reopen. One analyst that covers Disney stock has already stated they don't expect the parks in the US to open until 2021... that was the guess by an investment analyst that is paid to follow Disney and will have direct contacts to people inside the company, so from my perspective his guess is better guess than anyone on the boards here who would most likely be making a guess that was based in part on wishful thinking.

If you make plans now, would you pay for the more expensive refundable airline tickets? You better, because if you guess wrong on when they open you'll end up eating those non-refundable tickets.

Best option at this point is to assume they will be closed forever when it comes to planning a trip. Clearly they will reopen at some point but no one knows when.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Maybe next year...if you want a better experience and get your moneys worth. Its not as much a safety thing but we have decided to wait it out until Disney is able to make the parks enjoyable again without the massive restrictions and cancelled things. Its going to be a mess for quite a while as they get back up and running and figure out whats working and whats not working with guests throughout the resorts and parks. I'd rather not be the guests they are using to test the new policies on.

Upvote 0

TnDizneyFan

Original Poster
I agree. I have been reading about several construction date changes due to Covid and funding issues where the parks are closed. I'm thinking about giving WDW a couple years to get back to normal and have time to complete their projects properly.

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
If you were not already in the midst of planning a trip then I'd hold off until Disney announces when they are opening and what all the restrictions in addition to the County guidelines/mandates they will have in place.

I was in the midst of planning TWO trips this year so I kinda gotta keep the planning going and hope for the best.

I truly don't believe the one analyst that said the parks won't reopen until 2021.
Florida is chomping at the bit to reopen everything and they are moving quickly to do so.
I expect Disney to be open by June.

Depending on the restrictions and requirements Disney will ask of its guests I may opt to drop one of my trips this year but I need my Disney and am willing to go even if it means not quite as an enjoyable experience.
Besides I already have money in the game lol. I bought airline tickets for the first trip the day before all heck broke loose.

Upvote 0

thomas998

If you were not already in the midst of planning a trip then I'd hold off until Disney announces when they are opening and what all the restrictions in addition to the County guidelines/mandates they will have in place.

I was in the midst of planning TWO trips this year so I kinda gotta keep the planning going and hope for the best.

I truly don't believe the one analyst that said the parks won't reopen until 2021.
Florida is chomping at the bit to reopen everything and they are moving quickly to do so.
I expect Disney to be open by June.

Depending on the restrictions and requirements Disney will ask of its guests I may opt to drop one of my trips this year but I need my Disney and am willing to go even if it means not quite as an enjoyable experience.
Besides I already have money in the game lol. I bought airline tickets for the first trip the day before all heck broke loose.
I'm guessing the best indicator of whether they open by June will be what happens in the states that are opening now. If you start seeing spikes that force states to go back to lockdown status then you could probably expect Disney to hold off, the last thing Disney would want to do is set a date to open and then have to close down again after a week or two of being open as it would end up costing them more money than just staying closed.

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I'm guessing the best indicator of whether they open by June will be what happens in the states that are opening now. If you start seeing spikes that force states to go back to lockdown status then you could probably expect Disney to hold off, the last thing Disney would want to do is set a date to open and then have to close down again after a week or two of being open as it would end up costing them more money than just staying closed.

Florida is opening now.
Some beaches will allow for all activities starting Saturday.
Restaurants and department stores can start opening at 25% capacity on Monday.
Gyms and other small businesses will still not be able to open but I'm sure its coming soon.
We'll see if the numbers surge in 2-14 days.
If the numbers don't surge Disney is gonna open shortly after that.
The state of Florida was resistant to close things to begin with but once they did things seemed to make a quick turn around.

Upvote 0

thomas998

Florida is opening now.
Some beaches will allow for all activities starting Saturday.
Restaurants and department stores can start opening at 25% capacity on Monday.
Gyms and other small businesses will still not be able to open but I'm sure its coming soon.
We'll see if the numbers surge in 2-14 days.
If the numbers don't surge Disney is gonna open shortly after that.
The state of Florida was resistant to close things to begin with but once they did things seemed to make a quick turn around.
I'm pretty sure the numbers will surge to some point in about a week after the opening.... but how much of a surge will it take to scare the governors into shutting things down again... that's the question. I mean the reality is you open things up and it will take at least 2 days before you start showing any symptoms... those initial symptoms are drop dead, they will start with a cough and it could be several days before the worse symptoms start to happen... at that point a lot is going to depend on how many tests the states have and how accessible they are before the impact is known. If you live in a state will poor testing accessibility it would probably be another week before you started seeing the people get so bad that they were going to hospitals... unfortunately at that point it is really too late to avoid another big wave because unlike the first wave there are a lot more people out there infected and capable of spreading the virus. So when it hits again I expect it to be a big spike.

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I'm pretty sure the numbers will surge to some point in about a week after the opening.... but how much of a surge will it take to scare the governors into shutting things down again... that's the question. I mean the reality is you open things up and it will take at least 2 days before you start showing any symptoms... those initial symptoms are drop dead, they will start with a cough and it could be several days before the worse symptoms start to happen... at that point a lot is going to depend on how many tests the states have and how accessible they are before the impact is known. If you live in a state will poor testing accessibility it would probably be another week before you started seeing the people get so bad that they were going to hospitals... unfortunately at that point it is really too late to avoid another big wave because unlike the first wave there are a lot more people out there infected and capable of spreading the virus. So when it hits again I expect it to be a big spike.

Well for Florida's Gov IDK but I do know for NYS. Average spread right now is .8% and if the spread surges past 1.2% in phase 1 then phase 2 will not begin. Phase 1 isn't even beginning until May 15th and that's only for places that have a low enough hospitalization rate.
Also testing has doubled in NYS because the state knows its extremely important.
And we know that the first wave was actually infected long before we realized it. That's not going to happen for a second wave at least not in NYS as the state is being smart and going slow and tracking the numbers.
I just wonder if Florida doesn't end up being lucky and not seeing much of a surge.

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
The possible problem will come when areas of NYS open up and people from NYC who are tired of staying in under quarantine decide to travel outward and upstate to take advantage of openings. It will be the same all over no matter what area youre from. The more populated, harder hit areas cant be kept in a bubble.

Which is why the Gov. is limiting openings of things that entice people to travel. We still have 12 days until some things start to open and another 14 after that until other things can think about opening. So there is time for solutions regarding NYCers driving 7+ hours to go to a park in Niagara county... not that I suspect people would actually do that.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Which is why the Gov. is limiting openings of things that entice people to travel. We still have 12 days until some things start to open and another 14 after that until other things can think about opening. So there is time for solutions regarding NYCers driving 7+ hours to go to a park in Niagara county... not that I suspect people would actually do that.
Never underestimate what people are willing to do. Even as crazy as it sounds.

Upvote 0

Roanlady

Trip planning is great fun, but actually going before a vaccine is too risky for my DH and me. We are in our 60s and love going to Disney, but we will wait.

Upvote 0

MissViv

Even when a vaccine becomes available, I will not be one of the first ones to run out & get it. Remember the Swine Flu, we had a local doctor here in our small town who died from the vaccine.

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Even when a vaccine becomes available, I will not be one of the first ones to run out & get it. Remember the Swine Flu, we had a local doctor here in our small town who died from the vaccine.

The vaccine that will likely be the first available and likely the gold standard is supposed to be as natural as a vaccine can get.
So basically if it works its going to be safe.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom