Triathlon training

CP_alum08

Original Poster
I hope posting this question here is alright, it's not really about running.

In a couple months I am doing a triathlon. Not a full one but a "sprint"...it's my first one so I'm just getting my feet wet. Anyway, right now I have nowhere to train for the swim part. My gym doesn't have a pool and here in MI no public pools are open yet. I've researched swimming muscles and how to build them up with weights but I'm sure ill need to get in a pool at some point. Any ideas where I could go or what else I could be doing to train out of the water?

Figgy1

Premium Member
If you have access to a rowing machine that might help and do lots of chest, shoulder and back exercises! Good luck!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
First Id like to say Welcome to the best section of wdwmagic! I dont think I have seen you post here before.

Interesting that you posted this. I saw this thread and got excited. I am doing 2 Sprint - Tri's in May and June too. I started swimming in September and I was laughable. I am a runner... not a swimmer. I found out real quick running shape (and I mean I could go out and run a full any given day) was NOT swim shape. So, you are doing the right thing by getting some upper body muscles in shape.

I wouldnt waste any time. It took me until December to even think I could swim efficiently. Everyone is different, you might pick this up very quickly. When I started, I wasnt using good form so I was wearing out very quickly. I figured out in December my arm posture was wrong and I was using way to much Tricpes instead of Lats. I watched a lot of youtube videos. I would recommend that too. Cheaper than a trainer.

Work the lats, shoulders and triceps. I'm not sure how competitive you are, I am not a good gauge for doing something for the first time. I simply cant just breeze through something. I enter that event just as serious as a seasoned athlete. LOL Even with cheap, modified gear.

One thing that I am starting to do, and I think this simulates Swimming pretty well, is if you have a bench (1 foot wide and a few feet long) or use a gym bench, lay down on your stomach, feet down the bench, face the floor, and get 2 dumbells in your hands (even 2 pounders), and simulate swimming. Starting arm all the way in front, pull back and make sure to extend all the way to your knee, and then back to the front. I wouldnt worry about the rocking motion like you are on a swivel, it is just to get that motion and strengthen it.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. How is the running and a cycling going?

Clamman73

I've done three sprint triathlons in the past three years, and all I can say is try to get swimming time in before the tri. The one I did is 500m swim, but felt like 5000...

But a tip for you is to do some brick training now since you can't do any swimming - that is going back and forth with running and cycling. Got to get your legs used to going from cycling to running - not the same muscles.

CP_alum08

Original Poster
First Id like to say Welcome to the best section of wdwmagic! I dont think I have seen you post here before.

Interesting that you posted this. I saw this thread and got excited. I am doing 2 Sprint - Tri's in May and June too. I started swimming in September and I was laughable. I am a runner... not a swimmer. I found out real quick running shape (and I mean I could go out and run a full any given day) was NOT swim shape. So, you are doing the right thing by getting some upper body muscles in shape.

I wouldnt waste any time. It took me until December to even think I could swim efficiently. Everyone is different, you might pick this up very quickly. When I started, I wasnt using good form so I was wearing out very quickly. I figured out in December my arm posture was wrong and I was using way to much Tricpes instead of Lats. I watched a lot of youtube videos. I would recommend that too. Cheaper than a trainer.

Work the lats, shoulders and triceps. I'm not sure how competitive you are, I am not a good gauge for doing something for the first time. I simply cant just breeze through something. I enter that event just as serious as a seasoned athlete. LOL Even with cheap, modified gear.

One thing that I am starting to do, and I think this simulates Swimming pretty well, is if you have a bench (1 foot wide and a few feet long) or use a gym bench, lay down on your stomach, feet down the bench, face the floor, and get 2 dumbells in your hands (even 2 pounders), and simulate swimming. Starting arm all the way in front, pull back and make sure to extend all the way to your knee, and then back to the front. I wouldnt worry about the rocking motion like you are on a swivel, it is just to get that motion and strengthen it.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. How is the running and a cycling going?
I did the Wine and Dine Half last November and posted a couple times after that, but since have been MIA from this thread!

As it's my first Tri I won't be very competitive at all, so I'm not too worried about my time...but I don't want to be last either :) My typical (non-training-for-anything) runs are 6-7 miles and biking is about double that so I think I should be fine in those two sections. I've always been a pretty good swimmer but I've never done much distance swimming.

Laying on a bench and actually swimming sounds interesting. Something that sounds so obvious now I don't know why I didn't think of it! Thanks for the advice and good luck on your Tri's!

joel_maxwell

I did the Wine and Dine Half last November and posted a couple times after that, but since have been MIA from this thread!

As it's my first Tri I won't be very competitive at all, so I'm not too worried about my time...but I don't want to be last either :) My typical (non-training-for-anything) runs are 6-7 miles and biking is about double that so I think I should be fine in those two sections. I've always been a pretty good swimmer but I've never done much distance swimming.

Laying on a bench and actually swimming sounds interesting. Something that sounds so obvious now I don't know why I didn't think of it! Thanks for the advice and good luck on your Tri's!
I would keep my arms on an even plain in case I didnt explain that correctly. On the same plan that your body is laying. Straight up and down the sides.

CP_alum08

Original Poster
Thought I'd do a little follow-up. I found a rec center with a pool that offers day passes so I will be going there occasionally until the tri.

Now I have another question...wetsuits. Yay? Nay? The tri is in MI at the end of May and the swim portion is done in an inland lake with expected water temps to be about 60 degrees. I've never worn a wetsuit for anything so I know absolutely nothing about them. The company running the tri rents suits for $50 but they don't give any info about the suits online. I've looked at suits online and new they are a lot more than I want to spend, looking on ebay it seems like I could get a used one for a little more than renting. Any thoughts? Is it worth it to have your own?

Ariel484

Thought I'd do a little follow-up. I found a rec center with a pool that offers day passes so I will be going there occasionally until the tri.

Now I have another question...wetsuits. Yay? Nay? The tri is in MI at the end of May and the swim portion is done in an inland lake with expected water temps to be about 60 degrees. I've never worn a wetsuit for anything so I know absolutely nothing about them. The company running the tri rents suits for $50 but they don't give any info about the suits online. I've looked at suits online and new they are a lot more than I want to spend, looking on ebay it seems like I could get a used one for a little more than renting. Any thoughts? Is it worth it to have your own?
I have heard that it is (no firsthand experience) but I do think you'll need to check to make sure that wetsuits actually are permitted during your race. Should be somewhere on the race website. :)

joel_maxwell

You could rent, but Im a firm believer in wear and test equipment prior to race. So that leads me to think you need to buy one. Yes, they are insanely expensive, but I found a small company that offers Tri equipment and I got my Tri shorts from them for half the price. Here is the site: http://www.aerotechdesigns.com/mens-triathlon-apparel.html
Good deal on finding the pool.
I have heard that it is (no firsthand experience) but I do think you'll need to check to make sure that wetsuits actually are permitted during your race. Should be somewhere on the race website. :)
If the water is 60, they have to let you wear a wetsuit. That is chilly, but wouldnt hurt to confirm. I swim in the 70's water temp and when it gets below 75 in the winter, it is chilly. I cant imagine 60. Im fine with cool water once you get in and start swimming, but a lot of swimmers complain about how cold it is, especially right now with the bubble off and the lows getting into the 30-40's at night.

Average temp for a pool should be around 77-82. Anything in the 80's is way to hot for my taste.

Lisatn

You should definitely look into trying out a wetsuit before the race. Swimming in one is quite different from swimming without. I've completed a few tris and with the exception of one they have all been wetsuit legal. Other than obviously keeping you warm, they make you much more buoyant and its an odd sensation especially if you are used to swimming without. I also swim faster with one on than without.

Good luck in the race. I wasn't a swimmer either when I started but after a couple of intensive weekends I really enjoy the swim part now. The previous poster is also correct in that you should practice running/walking after getting out of the water. It can take a little time to get your land legs back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom