Trending blog post: "What it's really like working at Walt Disney World"

Tom Morrow

You said that. I certainly did not. I meant exactly what I said. No one is going to change anyone else's thinking on whatever subject is at hand and I hope they do'nt think they can. The positions are clear and the back and forth of defending them is what makes the threads interesting and even enjoyable for both the reader and the people posting.
You could say the same thing for nearly every debate on the internet. If everyone agrees on everything, then forums just become echo chambers.

Tom Morrow

As I sit here in All Star Sports I can honestly say the CM's I have encountered have been fantastic. Unless I'm magically being singled out and getting the best of the best, which I doubt, it still seems the best customer service in Florida begins and ends at WDW.
I'm not doubting your experience, but I notice the same at Universal these days. It definitely does not end at WDW. Yes, in the past, Universal had terrible guest service, but they've completely flipped that and basically matched Disney. (I frequent both resorts and consider myself fair and balanced on the subject.)

StageFrenzy

As I sit here in All Star Sports I can honestly say the CM's I have encountered have been fantastic. Unless I'm magically being singled out and getting the best of the best, which I doubt, it still seems the best customer service in Florida begins and ends at WDW.
I have difficulty believing anything you say because:
1. You are made by Kraft
2. Inferior fat-free version
3. Some People like it, I prefer other marinades for my salad.
4. Are indeed the equivalent of the nutritional value of Kraft FF Ranch Dressing.

stevehousse

I have difficulty believing anything you say because:
1. You are made by Kraft
2. Inferior fat-free version
3. Some People like it, I prefer other marinades for my salad.
4. Are indeed the equivalent of the nutritional value of Kraft FF Ranch Dressing.
Going totally off topic here but who actually prefers kraft ranch dressing? It's all about the hidden valley!

Ranch Dressing

I'm not doubting your experience, but I notice the same at Universal these days. It definitely does not end at WDW. Yes, in the past, Universal had terrible guest service, but they've completely flipped that and basically matched Disney. (I frequent both resorts and consider myself fair and balanced on the subject.)

I believe you get out what you put in. If you go up to another human being with a sour face and the appearance of expecting something, when dealing with humanity, and be it a Disney or Universal, Best Buy, Home Depot worker, chances are youre going to get poor service. If people spent more time working on their own manners and approach, I think their theme park experience would be a better one.

My opinion obviously.

WDWVolFan

This blog post strikes an impressive note because I've never seen SO many common frustrations of CM's compiled so astutely in one public post. Everyone knows how unruly, entitled, and selfish WDW guests can be. Most of us on here are well aware of WDW's maintenance and upkeep woes. However, the post highlights some very unsettling issues that CM's deal with that aren't often brought up. The lack of depth into some of the statements made is going to make this read like a hyperbolic, cynical rant to those unfamiliar. Unfortunately, even the most magical, positive CM is going to have a hard time denying any of this.

I'd say, if you take one thing away from this article, it should be how abysmal the Guest Service Managers (title for leadership for frontline cast) can be, and how desperately the entire leadership system at WDW needs a complete reevaluation and overhaul. Everything mentioned about the way (the average) Guest Service Managers handle situations here is not an exaggeration and is par for the course.

A few unnecessary statements in the article that don't support the overall message that I'd like to get out of the way:
- "iPod stolen on first day" - not really Disney's fault
- "WDW is no better than a Six Flags" - no.
- "They said I would get Haunted Mansion" - there may have been a miscommunication, or he heard "You will be going to Adventureland/Liberty Square, which is where Haunted Mansion is." When hired, or when any CM transfers to a new location, they are told there is no guarantee they will get the attraction they want. Of course, that does bring up another good point made in the article - why are attractions all paid the same hourly rate when some demand SO much out of the CMs and others require hardly any work? Why randomly place CMs in attractions like Jungle Cruise, when some may not want that level of work and responsibility, and deny others who actually do want it? This is why the performance of your CM on Jungle Cruise or GMR or Safaris varies so greatly - placement is random, no auditions, no consideration, no pay compensation for the harder attractions.

- "Haunted Mansion is boring to work at." - well, duh. People always site Haunted Mansion as where they would want to work because of the attraction itself, and assume working there would be a blast, but its actually one of the most dull attractions to work at.
- "Your holiday bonus is a cheap ornament." - actually, in addition to holiday pay, CM's get a booklet full of free admissions and huge discounts for experiences around WDW. (okay, so its a way to get the cast to pour it's hard earned money back into WDW, but, it's more than an ornament).
- "They forced a CM to stay longer which meant he could not turn in his paper by midnight." - sucks, but if all he had to do was turn in the paper, then why wouldn't he do it before work and not the very last minute?

I don't believe the blog post was inaccurate but the iPhone comment was ridiculous. He grabbed the phone. He tweeted. He put it in his pocket. So someone stole it while he was sitting down or walking out?
How about it fell out of his pocket?

While I think it's awful that Disney pays so little, I don't see that changing mainly because Wall Street likes the numbers.
There are still a ton of people lining up to work for them so they get to continue doing what they do and if anything I hope these blogs and posts help people to realize that working there is for few, those who don't have families, who have roommates, etc.

I don't want to come across like I don't sympathize, because I do, but if anything good comes out of these public opinions I hope it's like I said, that people realize it's not gonna be a fairly taie because I do not see Disney raising wages unfortunately.

What was interesting is that he seemed to be positive about the unions, which many CMs on here have mentioned over and over that they don't add anything to your experience there. That was interesting.

To those CMs who make it special to guests who deserve it, even though working there is not paradise, I appreciate what you guys do and look forward to seeing you guys next year.

katins7

Yeah, that sounds pretty much like he was working at a theme park. There are two sides to the coin: you're doing a nasty job in a happy environment. It's a weird contrast. I've done my time as a theme park employee and I expect many others here have as well. Although I'm still giddy with Kool-Aid intoxication as a Disney guest, I don't imagine working at a Disney park is is that different from working at the little family-owned park where I worked in the 1970s. Low pay, bad wardrobe, rude guests, and in our case an employee barbecue/drunkfest at the end of the summer to make it all worthwhile. Most of the Disney CMs I have encountered have been fantastic and are to be commended for keeping up the good show in spite of the fact that they're working at a theme park.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Yes and no.

Quality should cost more. If Disney isn't able to attract people who will give the needed quality at the current rate, then they should pay more to attract qualified people.

Raising the minimum wage, however, doesn't get that particular job done. Increasing the pay for people who are not giving acceptable service does not make those people give acceptable service.

And you missed my point. Company A and B both desire hourly employees with specific skill sets and work ethics. However, Company A pays $2.00/hour more than Company B. Where do you think those highly desired employees will gravitate?

Higher wages attract and RETAIN the more qualified employees. People not giving the desired level of output, either product or service, should either be retrained or removed. I am sure Disney terminates said employees.

Alright, when I was read this I was interested, but now trying to comment on it...a second re read hurts. This is a mixed sign. It shows a quick writing...but also lends to a more honest writing. Something to keep in mind.

The Iphone? Unfortunate, but not Disney's fault. There may have been a few reasons to bring this up, but none are really good.

As for working at Pirates...that whole bit is a mixed bag. From what I know from Disney hiring, it would go something like this:

"I want to work at Haunted Mansion"

"OK! We will put you in the LOCATION of Haunted Mansion, you CAN work there"

Emphasis mine. The hirer did nothing wrong. You may go there, but you will not necessarily will. In any large company with a very generic job posting, one must ask for details otherwise may find themselves somewhere they may need.

So that is against the person. However if I may present my personal operations side of things:

Disney has many locations with operations having maybe 30 full time people, and a number of part time and college program people to fill in gaps. These locations run 30 people with very little problem. However, EACH of the rides at MK are greater then this size, yet they are all lumped together to form mega blocks of personnel of well over 100. Blocks this large are simply unwieldy, and result in people going where they do not want to. This is not helpful in any way. The people who want to work in Pirates, Jungle Cruise, and Haunted Mansion are all very different, and it would help morale to have them seperated as a result. I could consider that Disney cannot manage this division of labor, but they already do! So that goes in the author's favor, but he did a HORRIBLE job explaining it.

Regarding ride issues: All yes. I have seen first hand the company save a nickle now to pay dollars later. The company contracts out refurb, and the result is pitiful quality control. Management has the authority to close rides to force temporary repairs. But true refurbishment is even worst, it is not even within the company. But it is easier for management to force through a poor ride then explain why it is broke, so it happens too often. There is no one to account for quality control.

I am thankful the FP+ affair I have not had to deal with. I would say 80% of the absolute worst (not most common, but worst) cast experiences involve FP+ in some way. A malestorm of things happen, worthy of its own thread, occur at the merging line for FP+, and often one lone CM has to man that line. THANK GOD I do not, and bless those who must.

Pay is its own can of worms, but if a cast member is forced to man a ride where all the animantronics are broke and that is OK because "skippers are the show" then they should be paid more, period. If for nothing else, any other attraction would simply be closed.

Regarding the threats of guests....tricky. I literally checked the official operating guide (or bible for anyone in operations) regarding correct course of actions. I will tell you how they are property wide:

With a guest not following directions, call management and security.

In the event of harm, call security, 911, and management.

These sound hard, but these are in place for a reason, but are distinct. Security, from talking to several, are meant to act as neutral parties in regards to conflicts. As bad as it sounds, management wants guests to leave in any way positive so as not to form a complaint which makes them look bad. Security is there to ensure accurate facts are documented, and I have seen security act as a logical presence for everyone (guest, cast, and management) to resolve the issue in a reasonable manner. In a perfect world management would handle things themselves, but even from the very top there is acknowledgement this is not always the case.

Regarding 911...it sounds even more extreme...but I cannot imagine in any situation where it is OK to accept threats or actually be hit. That is why the company gives permission to call actual law enforcement.

I bring these points up because they only work if actually used. The author described growing up...but never mentioned actually using the tools avialbe...

OW! My fingers hurt, and I'm not finished...more later.

So I said I would finish this...otherwise I wouldn't want to exactly necro this:

Let's see...the college program change of forcing a waiting period for CP's before they can go seasonal was handled in a very poor way. There was no reason why Disney couldn't implement the change while grandfathering in any current CP's. It goes to a larger point though: CP's are interns and have almost no rights whatsoever. Very vicious yet true.

Regarding forced extensions....I would say at least 95% of them occur for Magic Kingdom. One of the many reasons Cast dreads working there. For part time and full time though if one says no and are still forced to work it is double time, which is a silver lining.

Regarding poor morale, it for me seems to be a case of "death by a thousand cuts" . Each individual situation is minor, but when it occurs a dozen times daily it adds up to poor morale. It is hard to be cheerful when you are treated poorly so frequently. Combine that with the financial stress of low pay and it leads to a miserable experience unless fellow cast cheers each other up.

Regarding haunted mansion...its the nature of operations. You are mostly a cog to ensure the ride goes smooth. It is miserable, but I don't know what else to expect. However, almost all attraction cast members I know do develop their own personal spiels eventually that is away from the company line. It is about the only remaining thing they have freedom about the job really. I don't know if he knew but as long as the safety parts are covered he is fine.

Back to those bad experiences, I don't know again why security was called. They are meant to provide a calming experience and can document things such as spitting so appropriate measures are taken (this does not include ice cream)

But yes, the real reason to work is for the fellow cast members.

Tom Morrow

Regarding haunted mansion...its the nature of operations. You are mostly a cog to ensure the ride goes smooth. It is miserable
No. Some attractions can be a blast. Haunted Mansion is dull and boring because it's just an omnimover: you get one minor spiel that you can't even really modify, and you mostly walk a belt, nothing technical or in-depth and no meaningful interaction with guests.

People assume it would be fun to work at because they like the ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom