Treasure Planet

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Original Poster
Its about to open in the UK is it any good, is it worth taking the kids to. As a fellow countryman Im a big fan of R.L. Stevenson will this reworking urinate me off?

wed050499

hello,

I'm a huge advocate for this movie and would say it is one of the most enjoyable versions I've ever seen of R.L. Stevenson's original story. I would also say, if you enjoyed Muppet Treasure Island, you will love Treasure Planet. It has all the enduring qualities, in my opinion to many of the popular disney classics.

Brian

WDWFREAK53

I saw it once in the movies and I downloaded it...but don't worry guys...I won't distribute and I will buy the DVD when it comes out (I did the same for Lilo & Stitch)

I definitely recommend this movie!!! Great characters...and Silver has a LOT of substance to his characters making him, in my opinion, one of the best Disney villains. It's a little slow at the beginning but once the song "I'm Still Here" plays, you get yourself ready for an unbelievable adventure!!!

The only problems with this film are the following:
1. Lack of original music
2. Lack of female characters/love story

having said that...Happysnapper...SEE THIS MOVIE!!! If not for the kids, for yourself!

dreamer

You should go cause I'd like to see what the Snapster has to say about this one.

It's a boys' movie. Good for RLS fans. No female characters except the mom and the butch ship captain. Overall a "dark" movie. I liked it a lot. My kids thought it was OK, but didn't like it as much as Monsters Inc.

Strengths:

RLStevenson story.
Long John Silver character.
Space boats and animation.

Weaknesses:

Editing -- tries to pack too much in too little time.
Main character's motivation not well-established (LJSilver has more depth than Jim)
Some of characters seem hokey
A few of the sci-fi gimmicks are hard to buy in to.

I plan to get the DVD. I think it's a great movie even though its niche is not large.

(Not nearly as good as Lord of the Rings.)

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by dreamer
You should go cause I'd like to see what the Snapster has to say about this one.

It's a boys' movie. Good for RLS fans. No female characters except the mom and the butch ship captain. Overall a "dark" movie. I liked it a lot. My kids thought it was OK, but didn't like it as much as Monsters Inc.

Strengths:

RLStevenson story.
Long John Silver character.
Space boats and animation.

Weaknesses:

Editing -- tries to pack too much in too little time.
Main character's motivation not well-established (LJSilver has more depth than Jim)
Some of characters seem hokey
A few of the sci-fi gimmicks are hard to buy in to.

I plan to get the DVD. I think it's a great movie even though its niche is not large.

(Not nearly as good as Lord of the Rings.)

Well, I will NOT say I liked Treasure Planet as much as I liked Monsters Inc. or Lord of the Rings for that matter...but...you can't really compare the three.

Lord of the Rings is probably one of, if not, the best trilogies to ever be made...and it deserves that monicker...

Monsters Inc was made by Pixar...it's gonna be a hit because it's Pixar :lol: (have they ever made a bad movie???)

The mom was VERY cool...in Treasure Planet...and I would've liked a little more background on her. The "butch" captain was just subpar in my book...but brings out what little "love" story the movie has.

Morph...what can I say...I love the little guy :)
B.E.N...I liked him...although, a little annoying at first. (would've been better if voiced by either Michael J. Fox or PeeWee)
Silver is one of the best villains EVER
Jim...could've had a little more background...but he had a lot of "heart" and "drive" which I liked.

GenerationX

We all liked it, but not as much as Monsters, Inc. or Lilo & Stitch. There are a couple of good jokes for the adults.

We also got to see the preview for "Finding Nemo", the next Disney/Pixar movie, due out in May. Looks like another winner ...

dreamer

Originally posted by GenerationX
We also got to see the preview for "Finding Nemo", the next Disney/Pixar movie, due out in May. Looks like another winner ...

As much as I love fish and diving, I don't know if I'll be able to relate to those little fish and their mission. Ellen can usually make me laugh. I'll definitely give it a try. I ended up liking Stitch in the end, which I didn't think was possible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom