Treasure planet!

MerHearted

You know, I've been thinking. The main problem people had with Treasure Planet was that the sci-fi stuff seemed distracting to the story and was confusing to them. (They have no problem with singing china but they do with ships in outer space, go figure.) But everyone who liked it, myself included, adored the story. Do you think Disney would have been better off if they had just done an animated Treasure Island instead? It would basically be the same story, without the distracting sci-fi setting. Also, they wouldn't have put too much razzle dazzle in the visuals, saving themselves some money. Plus, being a sci-fi movie, it's drawing too many comparisons to Atlantis, which left a bad taste in most people's mouths. So would Disney have been more successful with just Treasure Island? I'm thinking they would have been.

Grumpy56

Christina,
I assumed that Jim became a "space cadet" of some kind, spacers is how the Captain refers to hereself and the other officers. The implication being he had signed up at the Academy, a space version of Annapolis or West Point. Glad you like the movie.

CoraJack

Account Suspended
Thank you Grumpy56, that's kind of what we thought. It kind of did leave it to your imagination on what the suit was all about.

Christina

MrPromey

Originally posted by prberk
Anyone have a list of places where it is playing in IMAX theaters?

No but apparently it isn't in all that many. In the state of Florida, there is only one theater that has it in IMAX and off the top of my head, I can think of at least four IMAX locations (Besides the ones at Kennedy Space Center that only show specific movies) that *could* show it.

I imagine that a lot of theaters are opting not to run it because of the length (over twice that of the typical IMAX movie) and the fact that they are also running it on normal screens at the same locations. Because of the high costs associated with the construction and leasing of IMAX theaters and equipment, they need to have shorter movies so that they can run them more often throughout the day.

You might have more luck finding it in digital projection if you have any theaters in your area that have the equipment. From what I understand, that is a pretty unique experience in and of itself with this movie... I've seen the IMAX version which is full screen IMAX and I would imagine that the film in normal theaters is wide screen (which IMAX really isn't). I'm planning on going to see it in a digital wide screen theater very soon myself. :)

dreamer

I loved Treasure Planet. Much better than Atlantis. Will buy the video. Would love to see it in IMAX.

Liked the music in Titan AE better.

I think a couple of the Sci-Fi gimmicks were a little lazy, but bought into them anyway. I loved the space ships, though, and was glad Disney had the guts to do something that adventurous and imaginative.

I hope Disney learns from this effort and doesn't abandon these kinds of projects. I think they could have made this film more marketable and hopefully will do that with similar films in the future.

prberk

Originally posted by dreamer

I hope Disney learns from this effort and doesn't abandon these kinds of projects. I think they could have made this film more marketable and hopefully will do that with similar films in the future.

Unfortunately, what I think they will "learn" from this is that they can't afford to make another one and lose their shirts.

I just hope they don't listen to the current whoopla that is saying that it is about CG vs. handdrawn animation (the look, that is). The media seems to completely forget that Lilo & Stitch did well.

What they need to "learn" most, I think, overall is what Walt said in "The Walt Disney Story": that when one picture failed (like "Alice"), that there "is another one coming right behind," and that the stories need heart. People loved "The Lion King" and "B&B" for a reason, and it was more than the animation. "Atlantis" left a bad taste in people's mouths, and I really think that is effecting "Planet's" box office. But we cannot give up on an historically reliable art form that is just as wonderful today with the right story and marketing, and just a little bit of luck on behalf of it competition.

dreamer

Originally posted by prberk
" and that the stories need heart.

:sohappy:

Excellent point. And this may be the problem with Treasure Planet. The main character's motivation got lost in the animation and science fiction stuff.

We just didn't empathize with him.

I think it's possible to make a creative film with heart.

prberk

Originally posted by dreamer
:sohappy:

I think it's possible to make a creative film with heart.

Yeah, didn't Walt make a few of those? :animwink:

BTW, this formula was also the whole reason that Steven Speilberg (sp?) has a career. E.T., Close Encounters, Goonies, and all of his eighties blockbusters were creative, special-effects-happy films that had heart at the center of their being.

MKCustodial

Before I get carried away and forget, Vince and prberk, you guys are totally right. This is what Atlantis should have been, and this movie has HEART, something that Disney has added to their Pixar films but seems to have forgotten for their own.

Now, on to my belated review. The movie just opened down here this weekend. We caught a mid-afternoon screening and it wasn't really busy. Many small children, many make-out couples. I was taking this with a huge boulder of salt, I just felt it was gonna be another Atlantis, and later I found out that Julia had it even worse than I did, she was just going because she knew I wanted to. Right here, I have to say: Disney did a TERRIBLE job marketing this movie. Whoever watches the trailers for this get thrown off-course so badly, no wonder it flopped in the US (not to mention opening with Potter and Santa Clause... Talk about a dumb move :rolleyes: )
Anyways, agreeing with everybody, it does have a slow start, and the kids were chattering their tongues off throughout the first 20 to 30 minutes. Well, it didn't take much after the board the Legacy for them to stop.
This movie is GORGEOUS, and the story flows along nicely. If you ask me, even the slow start has its place in the story, to get you immersed and ready for the action that follows.
Characters ARE characters, as usual on a DIsney film. Many might disagree, but I also think Atlantis had characters. The only problem with it is that it had TOO MANY of them. And they wanted to push too much information about them AND about the storyline at the same time. I've said it before and I'll say it again: if Disney had made Atlantis a bit longer, it'd have worked a lot better. Anyways, back to the matter at hand. Freak, you said Silver is the best villain you've seen in a while. I don't think so. I just can't throw him in as a villain. I know Disney itself considers him so, but I can't. Hook, Cruella, the Evil Queen, Maleficent, those are VILLAINS. Silver is so deep a character it's hard to classify him. Morph is great, Ben is great.
Great graphics, great tension, great movie. I was surprised when it was over, the lights came on, I looked to Julia and said "This movie was great." and she said "Yeah, I thought it was too. Weird!" And it wasn't supposed to be weird. It was simply because of the crappy marketing job Disney pulled on this one. I'm definately getting it when it comes out on DVD, and I think it's right up there with Lilo & Stitch. Disney has its ups and downs. Talking about the Modern Age you have Mermaid, B&B, Aladdin, Lion King, then down to Pocahontas, Hinchback, than up again to Hercules, then down to Mulan, up to Tarzan, Fantasia 2000, ENG, down to Atlantis, and, to me, it's been up ever since, with Return to Neverland, Lilo & Stitch and Treasure Planet. Now, these are my personal opinions, and I'm not taking into consideration Pixar stuff and DTV, of which I like many.

Bottom line, Disney is doing fine. Grizz, I know you've said you were gonna wait for the DVD. DON'T. Go see this one. I'll mail you the money for the admission if you don't like it. I doubt it you won't. It has a powerful message, like a Disney movie should have, that goes right along those on L&S, Tarzan and Pinocchio. It's not a sci-fi movie, it's a movie about family, plain and simple.

P.S: Julia asked me this and she stumped me, I didn't know the answer. Is this the first Disney animated film to deal directly with broken families, but in the sense of the human flaw and not death and such, like Bambi? Cause I know Andy in Toy Story apparently doesn't have a father and there have been orphans (The Rescuers and Mowgli), but it seems to me this was the first case of one openly leaving his or her family.

dreamer

Treasure Planet is in its fourth week in our town, so it must not be doing too badly.

I'm looking forward to seeing it again when it comes out on DVD, which I will buy. I've got a good surround sound system and I'm sure it will be awesome. My only diappointment with this movie is that I like the soundtrack of Titan AE better -- it had more of an edge.

by the way MKCustodial, if that's you in the Avatar I have been picturing you all wrong. I was thinking 50ish with lots of dark hair all over and pudgier. I guess I need to start reading profiles.

dizpins14

Treasure Planet BOMBED!!! 35 million dollars
Atlantis maded 85 million
I havn't figuered out if this is the lowest box office for a big budgeted animation film.

dreamer

Originally posted by dizpins14
Treasure Planet BOMBED!!! 35 million dollars
Atlantis maded 85 million
I havn't figuered out if this is the lowest box office for a big budgeted animation film.

Public opinion is not the last word on the worth/value of a film. In fact, box office sales correlate only slightly with movie quality.

I think that Treasure Planet will ultimately break even -- I know they've got tens of millions to go -- unless some RLStevenson relative crawls out of the woodwork to sue.

dreamer

Originally posted by MKCustodial

P.S: Julia asked me this and she stumped me, I didn't know the answer. Is this the first Disney animated film to deal directly with broken families, but in the sense of the human flaw and not death and such, like Bambi? Cause I know Andy in Toy Story apparently doesn't have a father and there have been orphans (The Rescuers and Mowgli), but it seems to me this was the first case of one openly leaving his or her family.

The Parent Trap

prberk

Originally posted by MKCustodial
Before I get carried away and forget, Vince and prberk, you guys are totally right. This is what Atlantis should have been, and this movie has HEART, something that Disney has added to their Pixar films but seems to have forgotten for their own.

Now, on to my belated review.
[edited to save space on Steve's server.]

Bottom line, Disney is doing fine. It's not a sci-fi movie, it's a movie about family, plain and simple.

First, thanks for the honest review, and for the response in agreement about heart. I will try to see Treasure Planet before it leaves (and it is about to: only one cinema in Richmond left that is showing it!)

As for the broken family as subject matter: do not forget that Lilo and Stitch dealt with it directly. It was a major theme of the movie! Stitch said that his new family was small and broken, but "still good"!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom