Travel Tripod Suggestions!

maxairmike

It will change your life! There is NO substitute for a good tripod! Congrats on your purchase!

It really does. I no longer think about if I want to bring my tripod or not. If I'm bringing my camera in and I'll be there through to the night, the tripod is on my back/bag. Its a pound heavier, but I don't feel it when I carry it, and the much more compact folded length more than makes up for it.

ddbowdoin

In one of my many camera deals I acquired a nice gitzo tripod, the only problem is that once the legs are extended it loses a lot of stability. I can't see myself spending 500 bucks on a tripod but it's a reality when using a camera that is heavy. I think for the 99% of DSLR users a cheaper 100ish tripod works wonders. I have the challenge of trying to buy a tripod that could handle multiple formats and that sucks.

Grumpy-Fan

Well I ordered my tripod from Amazon and the seller was Ritz Camera. I ordered it on the 16th along with some other things. I received the other stuff by mid-week and Ritz still had not even shipped the tripod yet so I contacted them last Thursday and they told me it was going out that day. Today( Tuesday ) was the day it was to be delivered and did not show up. The tracking info says that it hasn`t been shipped yet. Have any of you had any dealings with Ritz before? If so; How was your experience?

NowInc

Original Poster
Well I ordered my tripod from Amazon and the seller was Ritz Camera. I ordered it on the 16th along with some other things. I received the other stuff by mid-week and Ritz still had not even shipped the tripod yet so I contacted them last Thursday and they told me it was going out that day. Today( Tuesday ) was the day it was to be delivered and did not show up. The tracking info says that it hasn`t been shipped yet. Have any of you had any dealings with Ritz before? If so; How was your experience?

Not a fan of Ritz. Any camera store "chain" is typically not great to work with. I ordered mine through Amazon (two of them actually) and both were sold and shipped by them. I would call Amazon and complain, as they are VERY good at compensation in these sorts of matters.

ddbowdoin

They suck... there is a reason a great deal of their retail stores went under. They're a tab above Best Buy, likely most of the things they feed you is BS. I used to go in with friends and ask questions intentionally to hear some answer pulled from their rear end.

whoiscliffwang

I like to order from B&H, since I am in Jersey and they ship from NY. My shipment is only a day away by UPS, and 2 days for FedEx Smart-post. I really stopped ordering from amazon when they started charging sales tax to orders shipped to my state as well. When buying a $10 item, its only $.70 cents, but when I'm ordering a 900 lens... its a significant amount in sales tax.

NowInc

Original Poster
I like to order from B&H, since I am in Jersey and they ship from NY. My shipment is only a day away by UPS, and 2 days for FedEx Smart-post. I really stopped ordering from amazon when they started charging sales tax to orders shipped to my state as well. When buying a $10 item, its only $.70 cents, but when I'm ordering a 900 lens... its a significant amount in sales tax.

B&H are also opening up a 2nd distribution center in Rockland County NY (where I grew up!), so shipping should be even faster now. THANKFULLY for me, Amazon doesn't charge tax, but that party is ending sometime this year as they are building a center in our state :(

ddbowdoin

B&H are also opening up a 2nd distribution center in Rockland County NY (where I grew up!), so shipping should be even faster now. THANKFULLY for me, Amazon doesn't charge tax, but that party is ending sometime this year as they are building a center in our state :(
BH is unreal... free UPS comes next day for me and I live in MA. Can't beat that place.

Grumpy-Fan

I finally got it ( MeFoto Roadtrip ) yesterday. I ended up cancelling Ritz and getting it from someone else. I went out yesterday and played around with it and man what a difference. It fits on my bag like a champ and I will not mind carrying it around at all. I also upgraded my camera strap from a Canon "kit" strap to a Crumpler Industry disgrace. I can see already that is going to be a huge upgrade as well.

NowInc

Original Poster
I finally got it ( MeFoto Roadtrip ) yesterday. I ended up cancelling Ritz and getting it from someone else. I went out yesterday and played around with it and man what a difference. It fits on my bag like a champ and I will not mind carrying it around at all. I also upgraded my camera strap from a Canon "kit" strap to a Crumpler Industry disgrace. I can see already that is going to be a huge upgrade as well.

Congrats! Glad you enjoy it! Its really fast to set up and break down once you get the hang of it as well. Id say the only thing you should look into now is a good couple of ND filters so you can shoot long exposures during the day (mostly for water). But thats hardly a requirement to enjoy your new setup :)

ddbowdoin

Can you shoot at eye level with full support?

I have an 8x10 tripod (manfrotto bogen) and a "travel" gitzo (for free) that is perfect at it's base level but horrible once the legs are extended at all. I just want someone that can get to 5 ft without me having to worry about shake.

Basically the 8x10 doesn't leave the studio or the car side. Way to heavy.

whoiscliffwang

I was going to get the roadtrip but I use RC2 plates from Manfrotto. I wound up just getting a Sirui tripod and a Manfrotto Head. I think with most travel tripods, you don't have the stability of a full size tripod.

ddbowdoin

I was going to get the roadtrip but I use RC2 plates from Manfrotto. I wound up just getting a Sirui tripod and a Manfrotto Head. I think with most travel tripods, you don't have the stability of a full size tripod.
I'm expecting to spend 500 plus tomorrow when I visit my local shop. My tripods, notice plural, all are either too small or HUGE.

NowInc

Original Poster
I've played around with the Roadtrip and Globetrotter from MeFoto at my local shop. They both seem like sturdy units for the price.

They are actually made by Benro...so I trust them. They are VERY sturdy and from my (well my gf's) recent experience, REALLY good about warranty service and fast returns of fixed units (hers had an issue with one of the legs that was caused by excessive force). Literally a week from shipping to returned.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom