Transportation Cards

Driver

Original Poster
I saw a few older threads about transportation cards and I was wondering if people still try to collect them or is the interest in them diminished

yedliW

We got them for the kids on our last trip (Nov 2015) from a couple of boat captains.. we may have gotten some from bus drivers too.. I don't remember..

Driver

Original Poster
Just trying to get an idea about what people think about them. I've noticed some folks ( kids and adults) aggressively seeking them out and yet again some that never heard of them. The kids do seem to get a kick out of them. However attempting to get a complete set can be a challenge

yedliW

I got the impression that they aren't hugely popular.. a few of the drivers we asked didn't have any.. and others were like.. 'oh yea.. I have one.. here.. ' both kids were 3 or less, so I'm not even sure the few cards we got even made it home.. :)

Driver

Original Poster
The cards are like trading pins, by that I mean it is up to the CM to have them or not. It is not mandatory so it is very possible that some have and some don't. Pins are more obvious as the CM has them on display. Cards would be in a pocket.

Michael Bender

We were there in mid June for my daughter's 5th birthday. The first morning on the bus to EPCOT she asked the bus driver if he had some. He proceeded to take a huge stack of cards from pocket and loaded her up!. From then on it was a game to see how different ones she could get. Not all of them did, but most had them. Monorails, boats and more buses, she ended up with about 50 cards a couple Disney Transportation wooden nickels.

The best experience though was while we were waiting on a bus to depart from Animal Kingdom. My daughter asked the bus driver if he had any cards. Every card he pulled out got the same reply: "No thank you, I already have that one, you can give that to another kid who doesn't have one." He said "you are very polite young lady, let me see if I can find something special for you", and he pulled out a small wooden treasure box that was full of jewel rings! He let her pick one out and she was totally surprised! She wore it the rest of the trip making sure to point it out to other cast members. Kudos to the bus driver for making such a wonderful memory for her!

Driver

Original Poster
They do empower the drivers with options to make your visit a little more magical. But at the same time when it's busy like AM loading the parks or PM when bringing people home, the focus is on driving and getting people to the destinations. Michael Bender I am happy that your daughters interaction was memorable. That's the goal !!

JIMINYCR

I have a complete set but it took me a long time to get them all, several years in fact. Not many guests know about them to ask for them annd Ive very rarely see drivers/pilots handing them out to kids. I like the way they are designed with the interesting facts on the back. Being a collector of Disney things, they get a lot of interest when people visit me and I bring them out to show them around.

Courtney6682

We were there in mid June for my daughter's 5th birthday. The first morning on the bus to EPCOT she asked the bus driver if he had some. He proceeded to take a huge stack of cards from pocket and loaded her up!. From then on it was a game to see how different ones she could get. Not all of them did, but most had them. Monorails, boats and more buses, she ended up with about 50 cards a couple Disney Transportation wooden nickels.

The best experience though was while we were waiting on a bus to depart from Animal Kingdom. My daughter asked the bus driver if he had any cards. Every card he pulled out got the same reply: "No thank you, I already have that one, you can give that to another kid who doesn't have one." He said "you are very polite young lady, let me see if I can find something special for you", and he pulled out a small wooden treasure box that was full of jewel rings! He let her pick one out and she was totally surprised! She wore it the rest of the trip making sure to point it out to other cast members. Kudos to the bus driver for making such a wonderful memory for her!

That's awesome, how fun for her!

Driver

Original Poster
I have a complete set but it took me a long time to get them all, several years in fact. Not many guests know about them to ask for them annd Ive very rarely see drivers/pilots handing them out to kids. I like the way they are designed with the interesting facts on the back. Being a collector of Disney things, they get a lot of interest when people visit me and I bring them out to show them around.
Yes they are a point of interest especially to fans like yourself ( and me) but as you said they can be difficult to get a completed set. There has been a few series as well. The latest is 27 cards. Unfortunately some people try to hoard them and then sell the sets on Craig's list and eBay etc. Most CM's are aware of this and can usually tell if they are dealing with that kind of situation. I do hand them out to kids unsolicited but I am surprised at the responses I get, some surprised others confused , so that's really why I started this thread to get an idea of how people feel about them. thank you for your reply!

EOD K9

I remember when you could ride in the front of the monorail, there was actually a card holder just behind the pilot to hold the "licenses".

Driver

Original Poster
Oh yeah I enjoyed a few rides up there. Things have really changed in that area they are now using automation. That started around Jan/Feb. The transition seemed to go ok. I didn't hear of any major issues.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom