Transportation and Groceries

rtiller

We are going to be staying at the Beach Club in December. We are flying down and wondering about transportation.

I've read everything about the options but am trying to weigh the options with buying groceries. There are two of us going so the town car seems a little high priced. Is it better to pay more and get the grocery stop or pay less for transportation and buy groceries on-site for more money?

Any help would be great, this is the first time in a long time I am staying on site and the first time with no car.

Thanks.

NeedABreak

Some of the local grocery stores around here deliver to your home, maybe you could make some calls and find out if any of the local shops would deliver to wdw property.

Upvote 0
I would go with the towncar. I think the grocery stop will make it worth your while. If you were to go with Mears, you would have the inconvenience of making some stops before you reached your resort and you would not get the grocery stop. Convenience and grocery stop would make up the difference in price.

Upvote 0

rtiller

Original Poster
I like the idea of the town car. I am just not sure how much we will need for groceries. If I figure it right, it will cost us about $30 more (roundtrip) to do the town car. I am not sure I am going to save that much on groceries. I'm sure it is nicer to go right to your resort instead of stopping but I am not sure it is worth the $30.

Any idea what groceries cost at the Boardwalk? I read they have a small grocery store there.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Most resorts carry milk, juice, bread, lunchmeats, cheese, doughnuts, etc , that sort of thing. Really just the basics. They are more expensive than if you stop at the grocery store. We usually just bring our own granola bars, trail mix...used for a quick breakfast or snack. We buy the refillable mugs (we are a family of four) and thats easier for us.

We usually drive to WDW now so we have our own car, but I would definately use a car service over Mears; they are crowded and make stops along the way. When we fly we are up around 3 am so we really just want to get to the resort. :wave:

Upvote 0

Loretta

You're right, a towncar is expensive but it's well worth it. There are only two of us also but I budget the car expense in with the rest of the trip.
My nephew and his family (4 kids) and wife went to WDW last year and to save money they packed a box with all kinds of their favorite snacks and those small boxs of cereal and shipped the box to their resort a week before they left. All they needed was milk and they bought that in the store. They found out the milk was cheaper in the store than in the food court.
Have a great trip!
Loretta

Upvote 0

figmentmom

Absolutely, go with the town car. The groceries available at the resorts are really very limited - after all, they're not really in the grocery buiness at WDW - and fairly expensive as well. The amount of money you'll save by stopping at an honest-to-goodness grocery store before you get to your resort will offset the added expense of your car. (You ARE renting a refrigerator, right?!?)

Upvote 0

Quicksilver

WDWMAGIC Transportation Sponsor
rtiller said:
I like the idea of the town car. I am just not sure how much we will need for groceries. If I figure it right, it will cost us about $30 more (roundtrip) to do the town car. I am not sure I am going to save that much on groceries. I'm sure it is nicer to go right to your resort instead of stopping but I am not sure it is worth the $30.

Any idea what groceries cost at the Boardwalk? I read they have a small grocery store there.

Hi rtiller,

you also have to weigh how much you would pay for at least 4 extra hours in WDW by using a car service like ours. That and the savings for groceries. :animwink:

For any questions or concerns feel free to contact us at any time.

Regards,

Gregory Nicolas.
:) :) :) :)

Upvote 0

rtiller

Original Poster
I think all we would need for groceries is milk, bread, lunch meat and some cereal for breakfast. We are hoping to eat dinner at the castle one night and then also at World Showcase two other nights.

We are staying at the Beach Club Villas so we will have a refrigerator.

We are flying in on Saturday, December 4th in the evening so we will be planning just to walk around the resorts and not the parks that day.

I hope I'm not sounding like I'm ignoring everyone's advice (as it sounds like everyone suggests a town car). I want to take the town car but I just don't know if I can justify the $30 more (if I have calculated it correctly) than taking MEARS or something similar.

Any last remarks to help convince me to just spend the extra money?

Upvote 0

tigsmom

rtiller said:
I think all we would need for groceries is milk, bread, lunch meat and some cereal for breakfast. We are hoping to eat dinner at the castle one night and then also at World Showcase two other nights.

We are staying at the Beach Club Villas so we will have a refrigerator.

We are flying in on Saturday, December 4th in the evening so we will be planning just to walk around the resorts and not the parks that day.

I hope I'm not sounding like I'm ignoring everyone's advice (as it sounds like everyone suggests a town car). I want to take the town car but I just don't know if I can justify the $30 more (if I have calculated it correctly) than taking MEARS or something similar.

Any last remarks to help convince me to just spend the extra money?

Splurge! Treat yourself to a relaxing ride to WDW, wouldn't you rather arrive in style? :animwink: Whats another $30 when you've already spent this much.

Quicksilver has gotten nothing but rave reviews from our members, check out the transportation forums and read how many sing his praises.
(though there are other companies...)

Go on...just do it! :lol:

Upvote 0

rtiller

Original Poster
That's it you've all sold me. Looks like your my man Gregory! I'll have to get in touch with you to work out the specifics.

Upvote 0
Most of the opinions here have nothing to do with the money issue because it WILL be more expensive to take the towncar. You probably won't save enough money on groceries to make up that 30 dollars you speak of.

Mears uses large vans and busses to transport people to and from WDW. You may make several stops before reaching the BCV. When we used Mears, it probably took an extra hour to get to the resort. A little inconvenient. What is a few extra hours at your resort or in one of the parks worth to you? Imagine yourself waiting on a bus watching people get off and knowing you could possibly already be walking over to Epcot or riding Tower of Terror. That's probably stretching it a little, but you get the drift.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

rtiller said:
That's it you've all sold me. Looks like your my man Gregory! I'll have to get in touch with you to work out the specifics.

:sohappy: You are going to love it. Have fun & enjoy your trip. Bring back some pics for us. :wave:

Upvote 0

Quicksilver

WDWMAGIC Transportation Sponsor
rtiller said:

Trust me, the time saved, maybe a bit more $ in groceries, the pleasure to be riding in a Towncar, and have a chauffeur help you with luggage are well worth $30.00. You will not regret it.... :sohappy:

You may reserve via our website (best since that way you'll receive a nice confirmation email to print and bring along with you) or call our toll free number.

Have a great day,

Gregory Nicolas.
:) :) :) :)

Upvote 0

Ergens2

You will love a towncar! My husband and I started using towncare service about 4 years ago and will not travel any other way!! It is such a wonderful start to have someone meet you at luggage claim, get your luggage and drive you "home". We love it!

Shelley :wave:

Upvote 0

Officer Tigger

If your worried about spending the extra $30.00 on the town car....don't. If you go to the grocery store you'll save from the high prices of food in the parks.
Back in April we stayed in the Beach Club villas. We rented a car and stopped at a Publix on the way. We bought enough for breakfast and brought lunches into the park with us every day.
We saved a ton of money that way. Made it easier to do some character meals the kids (and me ) wanted to do.
If you need directions to the Publix that is close by I should be able to find them again.
Don't go to Goodings by Downtown Disney. Waaay overpriced!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom