Train to WDW

kiawahman

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Has anyone ever taken the the train to WDW? I am going the first week in January and round trip fare is only 100.00. I would spend more on gas. The problem is an extra two hours getting there and possible delays.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
it depends on were you are coming from....... if it was only a couple of hour car trip then id drive, but if it was a day trip then id kick the feet up and just plan on having 1 full day of travel.

MSTINKHERBELL01

I could be remembering this all wrong but I thought that there was a train out there called FUN TRAIN or something. It was suppose to go to Orlando with all kinds of cool things to do on board. Did anyone else here of this or am I just :hammer:

Pioneer Hall

I actually always take the train from NYC to Orlando. It takes about 24 hours and can be delayed. I truthfully don't love it but because we have someone in the family that won't fly I just go with the flow.

TTATraveler

kiawahman said:
Has anyone ever taken the the train to WDW? I am going the first week in January and round trip fare is only 100.00. I would spend more on gas. The problem is an extra two hours getting there and possible delays.

The train is going to let you off in Sanford. From there you are going to have to arrange for tansportation. My guess is once you factor in those costs plus the train ride it is probably going to be close to equal or more than flying.

Pioneer Hall

TTATraveler said:
The train is going to let you off in Sanford. From there you are going to have to arrange for tansportation. My guess is once you factor in those costs plus the train ride it is probably going to be close to equal or more than flying.

There are also stations in Orlando and Kissimee. You don't have to go to Sanford.

SewIn2Disney

I took Amtrack from NJ to DC, then DC to Orlando. When we got to Orlando, there were taxis and shuttle buses to take you wherever you needed to go. When we got off, two of us went to get our luggage, and the other went to sign up for a shuttle. It cost us $10 to get to WDW. And he gave us his card so we could call him when we wanted a ride back to the train station. It really was no hassle at all.

Brian_B

kiawahman said:

I took the amtrak autotrain - it goes from Lorton, VA to Sandford, FL which is a few miles north on 4 of orlando. Autotrain as in it's a doubledecker train that takes it's passenger's cars along for the ride. Don't worry about your car, as I handed them my brand new '05 mustang - it came out fine on the other end :) They feed you WELL too. It's a great thing, the autotrain

It's the only way to train into the area, as far as I'm concerned.

- Brian

MR. DISNEY

I also take the Auto Train. I live in NJ drive to DC (3 hrs.) then the train. I have my car. It’s about 20 min. to Disney and I’m free to “go” anywhere, anytime, but when I go I get a roomette on the train. This makes it a lot more money. Your meals are included (dinner at night and light breakfast in the morning). And they have a free wine and cheese tasting before you leave. I HATE to fly. My wife and I just take the extra time to just relax. It’s a long time on the way down, but the extra day to just relax on the way home is great. The personal on the train are great and some even remember us.

miles1

Brian_B said:
I took the amtrak autotrain - it goes from Lorton, VA to Sandford, FL which is a few miles north on 4 of orlando. Autotrain as in it's a doubledecker train that takes it's passenger's cars along for the ride. Don't worry about your car, as I handed them my brand new '05 mustang - it came out fine on the other end :) They feed you WELL too. It's a great thing, the autotrain

It's the only way to train into the area, as far as I'm concerned.

- Brian

How long does the train take from VA to Sanford?

MR. DISNEY

About 16 1/2 hrs. if no delays and then they unload the cars. The longest I have waited was 1 1/2 hrs. they had to unload like 200 cars.

miles1

Thanks. I have about a 5 hr. drive to DC, so it would probably work out about the same if I drove the entire way with no stops. It would be real nice to arrive rested. I might look into it for the next trip.

dthieme

Train Experience

We took the Auto Train on our last trip (June 05) and plan to take it again this November (06). The schedule is that it departs Lorton, VA at 4PM and arrives at 8:30 AM in Sanford. Our train did not arrive until 10:30. We sat still several times durring the night waiting for freight traffic to clear the rails. We also had a small fire on the train somewhere around Jacksonville. They shut off the AC while they tended the fire, so it got a bit uncomfortable but we were back on our way a few minutes latter. I found out later that it the fire was caused by the brakes in the car just behind ours. So perhaps this made our trip a bit longer than most. We only had coach seats and next time I will spring for the Roomlette ($219 one way). A roomlette is two seats that face each other by day, and a bunk bed at night. I'm 6'6" and the coach seats just don't recline enough for me. Another 3" of drop and I'd be comfortable. For those of you who don't know the seats are similar to a lazyboy recliner with a footrest, and considerably bigger than 1st class air seats (about 2' wide). You have 3+ feet between rows (an airline would put 5 rows of first class in the same space as 2 rows on the auto train). Cost wise, for a group of 6 in an SUV, its cheaper than air-fare with a rental car; even with 1 roomlette. If we got 3 roomlets the cost would be about the same as flying.

Frumpy

How long did the whole trip take?

We took the Fun Train from Hollywood Fl to Kissimmee a few years ago and it was fun, but took 2-3 hours longer than it takes to drive AND we had to get up at like 4 in the morning to catch the train back :eek: I'm glad we did it "once" anyway. The train had a game room a restaurant car and a Tiki bar :slurp: sadly they went chapter 11 after a few years....if they could make it up in say a half an hour I bet they might still be around :animwink:

I think they had a magician or a clown or something for the kids too?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom