Traditional Animation shut down!!!!

orlpassholder

Original Poster
Dont know if this is 100% true but I would be very disappointed, and sadden by it if this is true

excerpt from the article (mouseplanet.com)

Unfortunately, the latest installment of Survivor doesn't take place at some remote tropical island. It takes place a lot closer to home… in beautiful downtown Burbank, under a giant Sorcerer's hat, at the Walt Disney Feature Animation building, where last week another group of stressed-out castaways were voted off the show.

Full Article click here

NowInc

untrue..they have at LEAST 3 other 2d projects in production right now..and that article is only talking about burbank. Disney has 3 other active studios ;)

trekkie

The upcoming 2D animated films from Disney will probably be the big test ... if they don't meet the expectations of Eisner and his suck-ups, kiss the final group of traditional animators in WDFA goodbye.

Which is a total shame.

And no, the article is not referring "just" to Burbank.

trekkie

From today's article on mouseplanet.com:

Good article, David. Are you aware of the exact situation at Disney Florida? Next week will be the last day for over half of the Clean Up Department (33 artists ranging from leads and top key assistants to inbetweeners). Four weeks later, five of the animators will be let go, including veteran Bob Bryan and up-and-coming “stars” like John Hurst and Steve Mason. I hear that Mason already got snapped up by DreamWorks for Over the Hedge and they're courting Hurst.

Also let go are three rough inbetweeners and up to eight of the Effects animators. (Efx is still finishing up on Brother Bear, so they won't get their notices until mid-September, but the character animators and rough inbetweeners already know their last day.) People are leaving at different times because of contract dates overlapping, but by October of this year 50 artists will have been laid off from the already smallish Florida feature animation team. (This is the team that made Lilo & Stitch, Mulan, John Henry.)

A newly unemployed animator wrote:

I'm one of the many clean-up artists laid off from FA (Feature Animation) Florida. Great article! I just wanted you to have the newest of the “wonderful” titles for My Peoples. Get this, it's now called Angel and Her No Good Sister. Nope, I'm not kidding! Long live Walt's vision! And (blank) Eisner!

“It all started—and ended—with a Mouse.”

Sora

All Information that was Once a medically induced rant has now been, in the words of Homestar Runner........

BALEETED!!!!!!!

"Somebody get this freakin' duck away from me"!

trekkie

Please join the Preserve the Magic campaig, y'all. I hate the way the company is being run, and with campaigns like this, I'm doing everything in my power to make it right. Will it work? God knows. The efforts to save the Disneyland Tiki Room and Main Street Cinema worked.

Believe you me -- if nothing is done, "nothing" will ever have a "chance" of changing.

prberk

Roy sold 7.5 million of his roughly 17 million shares today, but said it was about his financial planning and not a sour note about the company. I wonder what this means about his intentions and his influence.

He usually is the biggest proponent of feature animation.

prberk

And another thing... it is still about story and not format.

Even Beauty and the Beast used computers for some parts. Right now Pixar is running circles around them because the stories are more Disney than the more recent Disney homegrown material.

And whenever the press denigrates "Treasure Planet" as a hand-drawn picture, I get irritated: because it was a well-publicized 50/50 hybrid. It would seem that, if traditional animation were to blame, then so would CGI be to blame.

NowInc

Wow..pixar has no suits??? Could've fooled me...they are a corporation as well..with just as much "suit" interference as disney.

Dont assume its because of a corporate level decision that Disney hasnt made every cartoon "amazing" latley....there are TONS of factors that go into each features finished product..corporate barely gets involved.

..sorry..i dont like when people go off on tangents without knowing how these companies work. I have worked for both and would glady answer any questions anyone has in hopes of clearing up any confusion.

trekkie

Great point, something I am sure neither Eiser nor that head of animation suck up ever thought of.

What really bothers me is that LILO & STITCH and ENG, both hand drawn fare, greatly exceeded expectations. But, of course, ENG wasn't promoted well (God knows why), and thus Eisner & Co could see the film as a failure. Her's a clue, guys: more merchandise equals more money! Imagine ... Eisner could have tripled his profit over those two films simply by promoting ENG via merchandise.

It's almost as if it was a secret conspiracy all along to do away with 2D animation.

The remaining 2D films will do very well -- I'm sure they will -- but unless Disney starts promoting the first installment, BB, more heavily soon, will that be enough?

Eisner scares me ... he really does...

prberk

The biggest enemy of Disney's traditional animation reputation is the crap it puts on TV and in the second-rate sequels. People see the Disney name on crap and begin to associate it with that. They don't sit back and say, "Well that was TV. This is an ANIMATED FEATURE. It will be top rate."

When Disney first went into TV animation again with Duck Tales, news releases said that it would have more frames-per-second and more fluid movement than traditional TV animation. Since then, though, that consideration for quality has gone out the window on their TV animation. And, since the name is still attached (but not to Pixar), people don't think of Disney animations as special as often as they used to.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I find it funny, how everyone is ignoring Nowinc's posts... yet he knows more about this topic than anyone else posting on the boards.

Just my 2 cents..

NowInc

..once agian...Eisner has nothing to do with this....

Do you guys even KNOW how a corporation works? The animation department has its own heads who handle all promotions and quality assurance of all outputted material...eisner is NOT on that panel. Granted..yes..he is the head of the entire company..but he cant make decisions single handidly that effect any aspect of the company.

Really guys...relax a bit....research a bit more over how disney operates before going off on the same things over and over.

Sora

Yeah, sorry about my earlier post. It's a bad thing to be posting after having surgery and then pumped up on pain killers and valium, of all things. I actually don't remember writing that post at all. I re-read it and just shook my head. I don't know if there is a way to remove said post, but I will look now that I am a little better off and not so dopey. Sorry about that gang. I meant no harm!:)

Thanks,
Sora.

By the way, I PM'd you Nowinc. Just thought I would let you know it's an apology. Again, sorry to everyone for that. It won't happen again.

NowInc

No need to appologize..i just wanted to clear things up and all...everyone in entitled to their opions..as long as they are willing to hear everyone elses...

JLW11Hi

Do you suppose Eisner and the rest of the so called "suits" still want traditional animation to go on at Disney? I'm just wondering, because that would be cool if they supported it...I used to always hear that it was Eisner that was trying to get rid of 2D, so I was just wondering if you could clear that up

(...."You" meaning NowInc :lol: )

NowInc

Originally posted by JLW11Hi
Do you suppose Eisner and the rest of the so called "suits" still want traditional animation to go on at Disney? I'm just wondering, because that would be cool if they supported it...I used to always hear that it was Eisner that was trying to get rid of 2D, so I was just wondering if you could clear that up

(...."You" meaning NowInc :lol: )

2D will always have a place in Disney.....my time there prooved to me that they will ALWAYS have a 2d concept before they choose a 3d format.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Originally posted by CDS Disney
Well if they shut down the pen and ink department then Dreamworks did what it was desined to do destroy disney animation.

errr... hmm.. eek.. uhh.. wow

I don't know how to reply to that..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom