Trackless Ride Systems

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I was having a discussion on another board about trackless ride systems and I wanted to be sure I had my facts straight on this. The discussion was about the difference between the ride system that Universe of Energy and The Great Movie Ride use, and the system used by Pooh's Honey Hunt and Mystic Manor. I understand the UOE and GMR have a guide wire embedded in the floor that they follow. From what I have read PHH and MM use RFID tags embedded in the floor to guide the ride.

My understanding is that PHH and MM vehicles don't simply follow the path of the tags, but use the tag to know their position and thus can be programmed to move in any way they want them to. Am I correct about this last part?

Vipraa

UOE, GMR and Tower of Terror are wire guided where they use a sensor to follow a specific wire embedded in the ground that transmits information to the vehicle and tells the vehicle where to go next. If the ride vehicle loses the wire then it will continue on straight until it hits something or cause an E-Stop. PHH, MM and Rat are controlled by a complicated system of 4G, Wi-Fi and RFID in each vehicle that transmits the exact location of every vehicle constantly to the main computer. The computer then has a series of different programs that in turn tell each vehicle where to be at what exact time so the cars can move and dance around each other without hitting as they all know where every car is. It is all pre-programmed but they dont follow the same path every time.

This video does a good job of explaining and illustrating how each car can take a different route for Mystic Manor

Last edited:

Tom

Beta Return
UOE, GMR and Tower of Terror are wire guided where they use a sensor to follow a specific wire embedded in the ground that transmits information to the vehicle and tells the vehicle where to go next. If the ride vehicle loses the wire then it will continue on straight until it hits something or cause an E-Stop. PHH, MM and Rat are controlled by a complicated system of 4G, Wi-Fi and RFID in each vehicle that transmits the exact location of every vehicle constantly to the main computer. The computer then has a series of different programs that in turn tell each vehicle where to be at what exact time so the cars can move and dance around each other without hitting as they all know where every car is. It is all pre-programmed but they dont follow the same path every time.

This video does a good job of explaining and illustrating how each car can take a different route for Mystic Manor

The bolded part is not correct. The "failsafe" for the wire-guided vehicles is not to just keep driving until they hit something.

Vipraa

The bolded part is not correct. The "failsafe" for the wire-guided vehicles is not to just keep driving until they hit something.
Depends on the ride. Tower you are correct as there is 2 separate wires. One for power and one for guidance and if the guidance wire is lost the vehicle loses power and causes and E-stop. GMR has free moving vehicles that can be driven off track and there is a big dent in the wall by Casablanca where a vehicle ran into it when It lost the wire. I ride software may have been update since then to prevent that from happening again but I don't know for sure

TheDisneyParksfanC8

Dusting off this thread after gosh knows how long, but considering how (at least the US Disney parks) the trackless rides average over an hour of downtime a day, do you think Disney will take a break from trackless tech for a little while? Universal ran into issues with trackless tech with Kong at IOA and that caused them to scrap all trackless tech concepts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom