Toy Story Mania Construction (Photos)

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Welp, verticle construction is starting while demolition continues at MGM on Midway. The fascade or queue or heck, this might even be part of the ride - what it is - is growing out into Mickey avenue with some height.

midway.jpg

Walls, all along the avenue, right across from the trailers of the "stars."

midway2.jpg

And a blurry general shot, just because it gives a better sense of the whole thingy.

midway3.jpg

Look how tall it is! And slopey! Is dey buildin' Soarin' 2?

midway4.jpg

And all them innards being torn down.. Millionaire, we knew thee well.. or atleast lots of other people did. I didn't set foot inside that building, oh well, probably why it closed... :)

TheDisneyMagic

Wow thats some height, thanks for the pics, i wonder if the vehicles will go on two levels or if height is for scenery/technology magic.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Great photos. For some reason I don't fully understand, I LOVE construction photos from WDW. Don't tell the wife. She saw me posting something here last night and just muttered - "DEAR GOD" as she walked by the laptop.

EpcotServo

Wow, the buliding looks to be grander then I thought it'd be. I'm really looking forward to this ride. I like Buzz and all, but our Buzz ride is pretty cheap. And I've always liked the other members of the Toy Story gang alot more. (Can't wait to see Mr. Potato Head as the barker, and Hamm's game!) I'm also excited to work on getting really high scores! (I'll see if the thousands of spins on Buzz and Men In Black pay off!) Let's hope that WDI can get this project up and running on time like Everest though.

dxwwf3

And so it begins......

I can't wait to keep up with the construction of this attraction. I really think/hope this will be the shot in the arm MGM needs.

CTXRover

I know I missed the answer to this question somewhere, but..How does this ride fit into The Studios again?

I know a lot of people have asked this, but I am curious to hear what is the primary reason it doesn't fit? I am very much aware that at its core, a Midway themed ride doesn't scream "working film studio", but what makes a haunted elevator ride based off an old tv show or a starspeeder trip to Endor any better fit for a studio themed park?. Both of them let you enter the world of those films or tv shows in a unique way, much the same way this ride will allow us to enter the world of Toy Story. Add a little, "this is inside a studio" themeing at the beginning and viola!, it fits as well as Star Tours does imo. My biggest concern is not if it fits (because I think it does) but that it doesn't end up being more of a gimick-type ride with cool technology with little heart or story to hold it together. Either way I am confident it will be fun and add new life to that area of the park that has been gone for a long time. Even at its worst, the ride is based off a movie. While I understand the point of view that the movie tie-in alone doesn't help the park feel more like a working studio and that movie-based rides are in other WDW parks, the idea of a working film studio is both thematically and practically gone. The idea of Orlando becoming "Hollywood East" failed and likely will never come to fruition for either Disney or Universal.

What I personally would like see done in this area of Mickey Avenue and the Animation Tour area is for it to get a "Toon Studio"/"Animation Courtyard"/"Disney-Pixar Studio" themed designation, ala what is being done at Walt Disney Studios Paris right now. With the exception of Beauty and the Beast on Sunset, it would thus be the only area of the park dedicated to Disney animation (at least during the day). Even One Man's Dream would fit as the entire Disney company started with animation.

dxwwf3

What I personally would like see done in this area of Mickey Avenue and the Animation Tour area is for it to get a "Toon Studio"/"Animation Courtyard"/"Disney-Pixar Studio" themed designation, ala what is being done at Walt Disney Studios Paris right now. With the exception of Beauty and the Beast on Sunset, it would thus be the only area of the park dedicated to Disney animation (at least during the day). Even One Man's Dream would fit as the entire Disney company started with animation.

Great idea! I wish they could put Radiator Springs from Cars in the park as well and that would fit in that area.

DisneyRoxMySox

The Studios as a concept is DEAD !

There are NO STUDIOs at "The Studios"

Toy Story is a movie.

That is one of the best aspects about MGM because any attraction based on movies, TV, and music fits perfectly into the theme.

I know a lot of people have asked this, but I am curious to hear what is the primary reason it doesn't fit? I am very much aware that at its core, a Midway themed ride doesn't scream "working film studio", but what makes a haunted elevator ride based off an old tv show or a starspeeder trip to Endor any better fit for a studio themed park?. Both of them let you enter the world of those films or tv shows in a unique way, much the same way this ride will allow us to enter the world of Toy Story. Add a little, "this is inside a studio" themeing at the beginning and viola!, it fits as well as Star Tours does imo. My biggest concern is not if it fits (because I think it does) but that it doesn't end up being more of a gimick-type ride with cool technology with little heart or story to hold it together. Either way I am confident it will be fun and add new life to that area of the park that has been gone for a long time. Even at its worst, the ride is based off a movie. While I understand the point of view that the movie tie-in alone doesn't help the park feel more like a working studio and that movie-based rides are in other WDW parks, the idea of a working film studio is both thematically and practically gone. The idea of Orlando becoming "Hollywood East" failed and likely will never come to fruition for either Disney or Universal.

I didn't mean to come off as having a problem with it in the park. I don't The Studios needs any help that it can get at this point. I just couldn't see a connection between a Midway attraction and Mickey Avenue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom