Toy Story Mania coming to Tokyo Disneyland in 2012

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Original Poster
Oriental Land Company, Ltd., owner and operator of the Tokyo Disneyland Resort, has announced that on July 9, 2012, it will welcome the 3D attraction ‘Toy Story Mania!’ based on the popular Toy Story franchise from Disney/Pixar to the Tokyo DisneySea theme park.

The 3D attraction, a first for the resort, will be located in a new area of the park, Toyville Trolley Park, themed to an old-fashioned amusement park. Guests will enter the attraction through the ‘wide open mouth’ of Woody whose face will measure more than 26 feet in height. Once inside the attraction, the queue will appear full of ‘oversized’ toys and board games, similar to that of the queue at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. At this time there is no mention of the troubled Mr. Potato Head interactive audio interactive audio animatronic found at both the Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resort (Disney California Adventure) locations.

According to OLC, ‘Toy Story Mania!’ comes to the DisneySea theme park at the staggering cost of nearly $150 million, almost twice as much as what the original attraction is reported to have cost to design and build. It will be FASTPASS enabled and be supported by the ‘Slinky Dog’s Gift Trolley’ merchandise location.

http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney-toy-story-mania-tokyo-disneysea-18895/

maxairmike

That's cool, but the entrance sounds a bit on the creepy side to me. I can't help but imagine a Woody face with his mouth gaping open like a clown... *shudders*

WDW1974

Just took a quick look to see where the expansion plot might be. Thoughts anyone? :shrug:

Thoughts?

Like on what aspect of the attraction?

It is located next to a restroom complex that is next to the Hightower Hotel (the TDS home of ToT).

Show building was basically complete when I was there last December, so I'd imagine the attraction is pretty much complete ... and since the cost of it is higher I'd expect a typically higher quality product than what it is offered stateside (even Turtle Talk gets the typical OLC quality here).

Much like TT ... and PhilharMagic, I'd prefer if TDR continued to get quality unique offerings and not more of the same that can be found elsewhere.

Thoughts on my thoughts? :xmas:

DisneyRoxMySox

It is located next to a restroom complex that is next to the Hightower Hotel (the TDS home of ToT).

That's why I was looking for! I was looking at aerial views to see where it would be going, not knowing the building may already be up.

Much like TT ... and PhilharMagic, I'd prefer if TDR continued to get quality unique offerings and not more of the same that can be found elsewhere.

Thoughts on my thoughts? :xmas:

I don't mind they get clones. For one, like you said, they often are a lot better. And it seemes like TDR always gets the very best of attractions, so additing Toy Story wasn't really a suprise for me.

However, since they do have what seems to be endless amounts of money, it would seem logical to let Imaginears go wild!

chrisps

I am glad that Tokyo Disneyland is getting Toy story mania this year at the park I enjoyed the ride at the Disney world resort when I was there with my family in 2008 and I hope to go back and get on it again sometime soon possibly next year. I think that the front of the new building looks really good but the woody head does reminds me of the Simsons the ride at Universal studies in Orlando Florida.

WDW1974

I think TDS's TSMM looks fantastic, although I really wish it hadn't been cloned yet again.

But much like Turtle Talk, the Imagineers and the OLC make sure it's a good fit ... and they sure appear to have done a phenomenal job. Can't wait to get back there and ride in 2013.

Kuhio

DisneySea's own Cloney Island ... :)

The theming throughout the "Toyville Trolley Park" looks great.. and the lighting makes the area look even better at night. The mini-games look interesting as well -- I'd like to get a better look at them.

However, I also wish that TDS could have added something unique -- maybe on the scale of the Monsters Inc. Ride and Go Seek next door -- rather than another clone. The fact that the ride itself looks to be more or less the same as its counterparts in the U.S. is a bit disappointing for two reasons.

First, although I like TSMM well enough, it's not anywhere near the top of my list for things to do at a Disney park. It seems too much like a video game that I could play at home, and although it's clearly more sophisticated than a Wii game, it's not like one of the many other Disney attractions that you can't even come close to simulating in your own living room. Still, many many people love TSMM, and I'm sure fans of the ride who live in Japan are thrilled to have one in their own backyard.

Second, and more problematic in my view, is the number of clones -- or quasi-clones -- that TDS has added over the years: Raging Spirits, Tower of Terror, Turtle Talk, Jasmine's Carpets, and now TSMM (or TSM officially here, I guess). While the theming and execution have remained top-notch, I would love to have seen some more wholly original attractions. The park opened with unique attractions like JttCotE, 20K Leagues, StormRider, and others that haven't been copied anywhere else; the trend afterward has mostly been to add adaptations and clones, albeit well-done ones. (This seems to be the reverse of HKDL, which opened mostly with clones, and is now starting to add compelling new attractions that are, and may well remain, unique to HK.)

Whenever TDS gets around to its next big expansion (maybe that plot of land between Lost River Delta and Port Discovery?) I hope we'll see one or more TDR-exclusive, Imagineered-from-scratch attractions.

mimitchi33

I first heard about this when watching the Princess Forms episode of Smile Pretty Cure on KeyHoleTV-an ad for it was shown before an ad for a Doraemon game.
Also, the wait times are crazier than the ones in America! Then agin, Tokyo Disney Land always has crazy wait times!

wiigirl

75.gif
Inside the walls of Toyville Trolley Park. Wow just beautiful!!!!

https://twitter.com/DreamSweetsLove/status/217058262296698880/photo/1/large

Wow!! :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom