Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Another reason why I think this land is poorly planned. I'm almost certain there'll be references to Toy Story 3 in this land, yet we are still in Andy's backyard filled with his toys. Why is teenage Andy playing outside with his toys that he gave to Bonnie? I don't think anyone in TDO or WDI knows or cares why.

Some people will tell me to just enjoy it and stop getting held up over small details. But this is the same company who paid millions of dollars in order to remove Visa logos from credit card machines in the name of theme, which seems like a ridiculous over the top move compared to some of the laziness of Toy Story Land.

Or, you can read the rest of the posts of the thread and see how this is answered before you post: the parks don't care about movie continuity. Never have. Never will.

You want to ding TSL for lack of continuity, then go ahead and rip into Walt Disney himself for doing that from the beginning.

dm11

I can totally see them putting both rides as Tier 1s like they did with Avatar until Star Wars Land is a bit closer to opening. Although the saucers ride will be less of a draw than Na'vi River Journey, so I dunno. I imagine that'll have to be what they do eventually though.

Maybe Beauty and the Beast will finally drop to a Tier 2.
The difference with Avatar is that AK did not have tiers until Pandora opened. They simply created a tier with two new rides.

I think it is more likely they'll split the rides here: Slinky goes to the tier 1 and attraction which you can't use abbreviation for in polite company goes to tier 2. More interesting question is whether they'll drop anything from tier 1 to tier 2. I think you are right that they'll do that with Beauty and the Beast. Not that it'll help FP+ selections anyway; I wouldn't waste FP+ for a show.

sunsetblvd26

The difference with Avatar is that AK did not have tiers until Pandora opened. They simply created a tier with two new rides.

I think it is more likely they'll split the rides here: Slinky goes to the tier 1 and attraction which you can't use abbreviation for in polite company goes to tier 2. More interesting question is whether they'll drop anything from tier 1 to tier 2. I think you are right that they'll do that with Beauty and the Beast. Not that it'll help FP+ selections anyway; I wouldn't waste FP+ for a show.
They did just lose GMR which is a tier one so I don't see them dropping any down.

wdrive

Or, you can read the rest of the posts of the thread and see how this is answered before you post:

Sorry, I forgot you were the forum police

the parks don't care about movie continuity. Never have. Never will.

Except in Pandora. Oh and Star Wars Land too. But no, no movie continuity anywhere in the parks.

You want to ding TSL for lack of continuity, then go ahead and rip into Walt Disney himself for doing that from the beginning.

Again I apologize for daring to criticize something on a discussion board. I'll try again.

I can't wait for Toy Story Land and to be immersed in all the wonderful, amazing, immersive attractions!! #IgerForPresident #ThankYouBobChapek #Blessed

Better?

wdrive

But you act as though Toy Story is the only thing that does any wrong. There are many examples of a lack of continuity with different IPs throughout the parks, he was just giving another example.

I've never said Toy Story Land is the only thing to do anything wrong. I was simply highlighting what I see as a problem with the land. I'm fine with people disagreeing with me, surely that's the whole point of a discussion forum, but I won't accept people telling me that my opinion is wrong.

djkidkaz

Starting to paint the fence.

View attachment 223709

Upppp, Downnnn
IMG_5384.JPG

Rich T

Who, besides me, gets riled when characters from "Looking Glass" appear in "Wonderland" movies and attractions?
I don't mind if it works, seeing as how the books are not paced or structured in a way that makes a good film.: The Tweedles were a wise choice for the Disney version, just as it was a good idea to cut out the baby-beating Ugly Duchess.

What DOES tick me off is how Disney made a big-budget feature film called "Alice Through the Looking Glass," tossed in a bunch of Looking Glass characters (Humpty, Chess Pieces) for one super-brief gag scene that didn't effect the plot as if saying "There--There's your Looking Glass material" and then went off on their own stupid time travel tale using the same characters as the first film AND centering it around an off-stage character (Time) from "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland."

Rich T

It amazes me how folks can get upset over continuity flaws as if it wrecks the fun of the theme park land. If you can ignore emergency exit signs on Haunted Mansion and Pirates...if you can ignore the fact that you're supposed to be on a Star Wars planet when you're surrounded by people staring at their phones while wearing Poop Emoji shirts... WHO CARES if a Toy Story themed land isn't 100% movie-canon accurate??? It's going to be full of human beings carrying water bottles and diaper bags!!!

In Cars Land, Doc Hudson is alive on Radiator Springs Racers and dead at Flo's Diner. It doesn't matter. The land and the ride work. It remains to be seen how well Toy Story Land works, but if it fails, it's not going to be because of some movie lore continuity oversight.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Huh? That is one example where movie continuity is not present. The other poster gave two newer examples where it is / will be.

So you are incorrect in saying "The parks don't care about movie continuity. Never have. Never will."

You realize that that statement, in it's context, is not the same as "Disney always intentionally breaks the continuity of every IP that appears in the park", right?

How about this: "Disney doesn't care if they break continuity, and there are many times they have."

Also, we're talking about timeline continuity, not the continuity of what's 'real' for the IP.

Princess Belle appears with the Beast, but by the time she's a princess, he's no longer a beast. That breaks timeline continuity. They wouldn't have her appear in the parks married to Gaston, that breaks the IP's continuity of reality.

Pandora is set a hundred years after the events of all the Avatar movies. Not so much because Disney isn't above taking elements from the different films and mixing them, but because at the time Pandora was being built, they didn't know what was what for the additional films. Plus, the didn't want to break the reality of the first film wherein humans couldn't breathe the Pandoran air. So, they moved the timeline in the park to later to a time when terraforming could have been accomplished to preserve the reality (much of it unknown for the other movies)... not to preserve the timeline.

This whole thing started with the canard, "If Toy Story Land breaks the movies timeline with characters appearing from the later movies wherein Andy is from the earlier movies, then this is BAD!!!!" And that is ridiculous. Take up broken movie timelines in the park with the exec who first greenlit them: Walt Disney.

DisneyRoy

It amazes me how folks can get upset over continuity flaws as if it wrecks the fun of the theme park land. If you can ignore emergency exit signs on Haunted Mansion and Pirates...if you can ignore the fact that you're supposed to be on a Star Wars planet when you're surrounded by people staring at their phones while wearing Poop Emoji shirts... WHO CARES if a Toy Story themed land isn't 100% movie-canon accurate??? It's going to be full of human beings carrying water bottles and diaper bags!!!

In Cars Land, Doc Hudson is alive on Radiator Springs Racers and dead at Flo's Diner. It doesn't matter. The land and the ride work. It remains to be seen how well Toy Story Land works, but if it fails, it's not going to be because of some movie lore continuity oversight.

I am going to copy and paste this every time a discussion comes up about continuity in the parks! Who cares...just enjoy the park and the rides for what they are. Fun.

Rich T

A theme park land should capture the general "feel" of a franchise-- Be a "celebration" of that franchise. Trying to slavishly recreate a fictional fantasy world -- especially one based on nonsense, magic and comedy like the Toy Story world-- is absurd. If it's well done and hits enough of the right notes, no one will care if characters who are no longer in the timeline are still present. The land is a tribute, not a movie. Last time I checked, Slinky dogs don't normally come equipped with upstop wheels.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom