Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Bocabear

Yep, one wouldn't want to show their entire hand all at once. They gave us the Pixar and Star Wars announcement to please fans. There is more real estate in the park to work with. It will be a pretty sweet park once all said and done. It takes time.
Problem is the time it takes borders on the ridiculous... We will get more than the 4 rides, when? this construction that was announced will take them through 2021...so 2025? Later?

Evolution

I still find it very uninspired to bring a Cars Land to DHS when there are so many other underutilized Pixar IPs. Sure they might not make as much money, but they'll still be profitable.

Bocabear

I still find it very uninspired to bring a Cars Land to DHS when there are so many other underutilized Pixar IPs. Sure they might not make as much money, but they'll still be profitable.
I find it unbelievably uninspired to think they are actually doing Toy Storyland... What a snoozefest!

DisDan

I am still holding out hope for a couple of Double Ds

I am thinking, "Jessica Rabbit - The Ride"
I find it unbelievably uninspired to think they are actually doing Toy Storyland... What a snoozefest!

Not sure if you're serious or not, but my kids would beg to differ. They have looked at the concept art and can't wait to be in this land and ride the attractions. They are huge Toy Story fans.

note2001

I have no problem with them adding more Toy Story to the area - it is Pixar's first movie, made them wildly successful, and broke new ground with software (and they continue to do so). It's well deserving of a section. But I will agree, if this is Pixar Land, there needs to be more. The company is about technology and bringing stories to life via some great people and that tech. Let's have more of them all represented here with their work.

Side note: Disney fans of old would argue that Walt had designed Disneyland around people, not films. The films were simply a bonus and added in as characters and rides. Seems to me he designed Main Street, Frontierland and Adventureland around people and activities we might love but otherwise not be able to experience. Fishing, a riverboat ride, walking down a road styled after the old west, and an old fashioned main street are just some of the unique aspects that stand out. This bit about designing entire areas to movies is newer than Walt, which is fine, if that's the way society wants to be entertained now. However, I'll be the first to hop up and say I'd rather have the story behind making the movies back instead of being IN the movie. But that's neither here nor there as Disney started to give up on showing us how movies are made some time ago. They're peeling that layer off of DHS bit by bit. :(

Last edited:

captainmoch

How I view it is that if I want to see how movies are made, I can just watch a special feature on a DVD. The only way to be in a world is to go to a theme park. That's why I'm okay with this new direction for DHS. However... the execution needs to be good for it to make sense. If you entered the worlds through a theater of sorts, I think it would work great.

Fox&Hound

Not sure if you're serious or not, but my kids would beg to differ. They have looked at the concept art and can't wait to be in this land and ride the attractions. They are huge Toy Story fans.

I'm an adult and I'm psyched. You can't please everybody, for sure, but it's exciting to see a new land themed to a beloved Disney/Pixar movie. I think when it is built people will be pleasantly surprised how enjoyable it is.

doctornick

The only way I see a Carsland doing as well in Fl as it did in CA is to wait until Cars 3 comes out and pattern the land after THAT movie. But they better make Cars 3 better than 2. :rolleyes:

Why? I mean, I'm not even sure what you mean by "doing as well" -- no matter what, the land likely won't be as well received simply because it is the "copy" but it would certainly be popular especially among the younger skewing guests that go to WDW. Cars still has a significant presence in terms of merchandise around and the new movie will bring it to the limelight for new youngsters.

But there's no reason why they can't make a DHS area some version or Radiator Springs (or at least part of the town). That's the iconic aspect of the movies and where people want to "visit".

Goofyernmost

I have no problem with them adding more Toy Story to the area - it is Pixar's first movie, made them wildly successful, and broke new ground with software (and they continue to do so). It's well deserving of a section. But I will agree, if this is Pixar Land, there needs to be more. The company is about technology and bringing stories to life via some great people and that tech. Let's have more of them all represented here with their work.

Side note: Disney fans of old would argue that Walt had designed Disneyland around people, not films. The films were simply a bonus and added in as characters and rides. Seems to me he designed Main Street, Frontierland and Adventureland around people and activities we might love but otherwise not be able to experience. Fishing, a riverboat ride, walking down a road styled after the old west, and an old fashioned main street are just some of the unique aspects that stand out. This bit about designing entire areas to movies is newer than Walt, which is fine, if that's the way society wants to be entertained now. However, I'll be the first to hop up and say I'd rather have the story behind making the movies back instead of being IN the movie. But that's neither here nor there as Disney started to give up on showing us how movies are made some time ago. They're peeling that layer off of DHS bit by bit. :(
Here's what I believe, if, and I do mean if, someone (Disney) were to do a new park and copy it directly from the plans of the original Disneyland, it would be a colossal flop within two years. People would go in and say "What is this". I paid money to come in here and walk a dusty trail, ride a carnival horse, play shoot um up with a cowboy? The problem with nostalgia is that reality is never as good as the memories.

Goofyernmost

Why? I mean, I'm not even sure what you mean by "doing as well" -- no matter what, the land likely won't be as well received simply because it is the "copy" but it would certainly be popular especially among the younger skewing guests that go to WDW. Cars still has a significant presence in terms of merchandise around and the new movie will bring it to the limelight for new youngsters.

But there's no reason why they can't make a DHS area some version or Radiator Springs (or at least part of the town). That's the iconic aspect of the movies and where people want to "visit".
Boy, do you not know people very well. First off, "won't be well received because it is a copy"? Where in the pluperfect heavens did you come up with that. If you haven't seen the original, copy or not, it doesn't matter. Soarin is an exact copy of the one in California, yet the lines are hours long in Florida. How did that happen? Merchandise will sell anywhere and people certainly do not travel to Florida to by a plastic car that they can get at any WalMart. The ride would bring in thousands of people, it is a sure winner, especially if it were to be built exactly like it is in DCA. If they cheapen it, then it stands a chance of not being received as well. If there isn't something at the end to enjoy then the purpose of Radiator Springs, iconic or not, will not be a more then one time visit location. DHS has enough visit one time attractions.

doctornick

Boy, do you not know people very well. First off, "won't be well received because it is a copy"? Where in the pluperfect heavens did you come up with that. If you haven't seen the original, copy or not, it doesn't matter.

Oh, I agree. I meant by fanboys, not general guests. Most guests just want nice attractions and Cars Land of any sort will be well received by most WDW guests.

Merchandise will sell anywhere and people certainly do not travel to Florida to by a plastic car that they can get at any WalMart.

Don't know if I agree there though. A lot people buy stuff in WDW or other theme parks that they could get cheaper elsewhere. A lot of spending is spur of the moment, especially for children.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom