Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Okay I'm way too lazy to do a search in the thread, but does anyone know where exactly Toy Story land will be built?

Roughly here..

Capture.JPG

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Makes sense to work on this part of the park first because almost all of it is backstage which hopefully means they can work faster. Then once this opens they close other parts of the park to work on them and keep the number of open attractions about where it is now. Just looked at the artwork again and had a quick look on Google Maps. It looks like with this expansion they will be pushing the park all the way out to the watertower, so in the future we may be able to walk right up to it! Kinda cool.

This is purely a question but what do you think they will eventually do with the area between Pixar Studios and Sunset Boulevard? It makes sense to finally link those parts of the park up. With Toontown Fair gone in the Magic Kingdom and Mickey and Friends having no permanent home on property do you think they could possibly be turning this into a Toontown/ToonStudios area? The themes would flow nicely. From Hollywood to a toon version of Hollywood and into the world of toys.

That's assuming the water tower stays. Even if they don't use the land it's on, it's going to be hard to hide from within TSL.

djkidkaz

That's assuming the water tower stays. Even if they don't use the land it's on, it's going to be hard to hide from within TSL.

And if the name is changing from the Studios it wouldn't really make sense to keep an icon that is supposed to make people think of the studios.

G00fyDad

If 2016 happened then that would prove to me that Disney can build at a faster pace if they really want to.

We know they can build fast. There is just a myriad of things that go wrong, get in the way, etc that slow build time. We first started seeing people complain about build times with NFL. "Why are they taking so long to finish SDMT?!" Well.... the rest of NFL was in the way and slowing them down. Then there was the premature announcement of Pandora. That made people think that they are taking forever with this build when in fact they only announced very early. Construction did not start for some time. My point is, we KNOW Disney can build fast and they ARE to the best of their ability. For years and years people complained that Disney neglected WDW and that DL got everything and that there was a "lack of building". Now that they have started building the complainers have had to shift their griping to "time of building". When it is done and building slows again (which it will) the complainers will start with "They really skimped on (attraction)!!"

G00fyDad

And if the name is changing from the Studios it wouldn't really make sense to keep an icon that is supposed to make people think of the studios.

But it WILL continue to be about movies. When you see a water tower like that you think of the Disney movies. ;)

doctornick

I don't see that as an issue. It will continue to be a park about movies, whether or not it retains and sort of production angle. No reason that a park celebrating movies couldn't have a stylized water tower as an icon.

I do think that if it is retained, though, that it will have to move to make way for TSL.

Nick Wilde

We know they can build fast. There is just a myriad of things that go wrong, get in the way, etc that slow build time. We first started seeing people complain about build times with NFL. "Why are they taking so long to finish SDMT?!" Well.... the rest of NFL was in the way and slowing them down. Then there was the premature announcement of Pandora. That made people think that they are taking forever with this build when in fact they only announced very early. Construction did not start for some time. My point is, we KNOW Disney can build fast and they ARE to the best of their ability. For years and years people complained that Disney neglected WDW and that DL got everything and that there was a "lack of building". Now that they have started building the complainers have had to shift their griping to "time of building". When it is done and building slows again (which it will) the complainers will start with "They really skimped on (attraction)!!"
About the early Avatarland announcement, Uni didn't announce Diagon Alley until more than 3/4 through the construction.

gmajew

Premium Member
If SWL is going to take over the Echo Lake area as rumored then I would think they would want TSL open before they start closing stuff in that area.

Also since they said SWL is still in the planning stages it will have to start before.... They made the PR announcement to get people excited TSL and the other additions will keep people happy until the big stuff opens in 5 years... SWL won't be faster then that.

raymusiccity

I'm just not a fan of the Pixar additions to the Disney theme parks so far. They look too cartoony and plasticy in my opinion. In the MK I also much prefer the style of Haunted Mansion or Pirates instead of Little Mermaid and Winny the Pooh. Carsland in DCA has impressive rockwork on the outside, but the dark ride part is also too cartoony in my opinion.

Sorry, couldn't resist... 'Winny' !
image.jpg

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Even if you factor out the early announcement of Avatarland it started actual construction in January of 2014, so we are looking at between 3 and 4 years to build. The additional track for TSMM is almost at the one year mark, the original attraction only took 18 months.

G00fyDad

Even if you factor out the early announcement of Avatarland it started actual construction in January of 2014, so we are looking at between 3 and 4 years to build. The additional track for TSMM is almost at the one year mark, the original attraction only took 18 months.

I get what you're saying. Maybe my view is skewed by the years of listening to people whine when Disney doesn't live up to some grandiose idea of a theme park. :D

G00fyDad

I don't see that as an issue. It will continue to be a park about movies, whether or not it retains and sort of production angle. No reason that a park celebrating movies couldn't have a stylized water tower as an icon.

I do think that if it is retained, though, that it will have to move to make way for TSL.

I REALLY want to see this moved behind and to the left of GMR. Not so "behind" it that it is in the photo shots of the theater though.

Ignohippo

I would have liked to see a new Luigi's equivalent as well as the Mater's equivalent that we're getting in addition to the Coaster.

We don't need anything nearly that high tech.

Just give us some more all-access rides so that Little Jimmy and Little Jenny can ride with their families and feel like they're actually getting to do something other than just walking around all day while their older siblings ride coasters.

spacemt354

Chili's
I get what you're saying. Maybe my view is skewed by the years of listening to people whine when Disney doesn't live up to some grandiose idea of a theme park. :D
This doesn't have to turn into jabs at people. The topic has nothing to do with skewed views. It's just data.

G00fyDad

This doesn't have to turn into jabs at people. The topic has nothing to do with skewed views. It's just data.

I think you need to check yourself. I wasn't jabbing at ANYONE but me and my thought process about the whole thing. ;) But thanks for reading something into something that wasn't even there in the first place. o_O

spacemt354

Chili's
I think you need to check yourself. I wasn't jabbing at ANYONE but me and my thought process about the whole thing. ;) But thanks for reading something into something that wasn't even there in the first place. o_O
No...what I meant more to your previous comment about Disney building to the best of their ability and "complainers" having to shift their complaints and what not. It's just an unnecessary add on to me because there's some things to back up why people are saying it's taking too long.

There's nothing really in the way of Avatar to delay its construction like you had said for NFL, but the estimated opening date is spring/summer 2017. And when you built 2 TSMM tracks in 18 months and are taking almost a year to build another one, I don't really agree with your other post that they are going as fast as they can. It feels like they're going at the pace that they want, which is not the quickest, but the pace they decide on.

G00fyDad

No...what I meant more to your previous comment about Disney building to the best of their ability and "complainers" having to shift their complaints and what not. It's just an unnecessary add on to me because there's some things to back up why people are saying it's taking too long.

There's nothing really in the way of Avatar to delay its construction like you had said for NFL, but the estimated opening date is spring/summer 2017. And when you built 2 TSMM tracks in 18 months and are taking almost a year to build another one, I don't really agree with your other post that they are going as fast as they can. It feels like they're going at the pace that they want, which is not the quickest, but the pace they decide on.

Did I direct the "complainers" comment AT anyone? No. It was a generalized statement. I wasn't riding anyone's rear end over anything. Just making a general comment about the build times and THE PUBLIC'S perception. ;)

Rutt

And?
What if the building prep itself takes at least 12 months? Its not like SS1 was prefabricated based on becoming a third track for TSMM. For all we know it could take just as long whether its one, two or five tracks

In your expert opinion, how long should it take for them to add a third track in a new building? What are you basing that on?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom