Tower of Terror

Tom Morrow

I preferred the older versions of the ride. The drop shaft VVC movement was more aggressive prior to the randomized drop sequences. This is not me remembering it incorrectly - it's truth. They softened the movement to reduce wear and tear on the cables and motors for several reasons: longer drop sequences = more wear and tear by default; they save money by having to do the required cable replacements less often; and it makes it more family friendly.

Another thing I don't like about the random drop sequences is that two of the four are noticeably tamer.

Here are all the incarnations:
1. Original 1994 configuration - slowly rise to the top, doors open to reveal you're at the top, fall complete length of drop shaft.
2. Sometime in 1995-ish - A partial drop was added from the 5th dimension floor, followed by the original drop. This is where the concrete wall was brightly lit up for half a second before your first drop.
3. Twice the Fright - 1996 or 1997-ish: the previous configuration plus a second complete drop added on. This was my favorite version because you got 2.5 complete drops and the movements were aggressive.
4. Fear Every Drop - Apparently 1999 - the drop profile became one of the four randomized sequences in...
5. Never the Same Fear Twice - 2002 - the current configuration - one of four different drop sequences is chosen randomly.
6. Summer Nighttastic - Summer 2010 - A different drop profile was used for this summer only

HansGruber

The original drop wasn't a true 13 story drop. The car would start to brake well before the ground floor.

I would also argue that the cables would be more susceptible to wear in the current format as the car is most likely traveling a much greater distance than simply going from floor 13 to floor 1 (the original ride design). The current format makes at least two trips to the 13th floor.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom