tower of terror

the ceo at wdw

Original Poster
hey everyone im curious because i have been on tower of terror about 50 times and ive noticed on a certian elevator (I think its the far one to the left one of the four im not sure but anywayz ive noticed that when i went on one of the elevators during the ride right after u see the ghosts on the first stop the elavator makes once the doors shut the vehicle thing just didnt move for about 2 seconds but when i ride tot on a diffrent elavator once the doors shut
(after the first stop) the ride goes right away do u understand i hope soo it happens almost every time on that elavator any way is that on pupose or a malfunction? let me know thaanx

laterz

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
That will be the ride system waiting for the vehicle ahead of you to clear its zone, allowing your vehicle to progress. The system will not allow one vehicle to move forward until the zone is clear.

d dude

I still don't understand how you drop a car load of people faster than gravity stop about 100 times a day and have it be safe?

the ceo at wdw

Original Poster
fun facts for tot

i got these of a web site I DONT EXPECT ANYONE TO READ ALL THIS OK OK OK ENJOY
The break room for the TFact
Figure
Type
Vertical Vehicle Convience and Elevator
Designer
WDI
Year
October 31, 1994
Height
199 feet
Drop Height
? feet
Drop Time
? secs
Number of Drops
6-8 (Randomized from 33 sequences)
Force
-1.3G
Ride Time
5 minutes ? seconds
Speed
28.4 mph (max)
Elevator
22 riders per elevator
Capacity
? people per hour; 1 elevator per ? seconds; ? elevators at once
Tower of Terror is actually located between the two drop shafts, around the third floor. This means you can hear the screams perfectly as you eat, and the T.V. shakes whenever one of the unit drops. Also, there are service hallways between the breakrooms and the shafts, with emergency doors that open into the shafts. If you stand in these halls when an elevator drops, you can see the whole wall bend outward from the compressed air in the dropshaft.

Most of the props in the Tower were bought not made. I found that out during a pre-opening tour that I took.
REPORTED: Arthur Sanders 22 AUG 98
To add detail to the boiler room, ride designers added several large fusebox/breakers from the time period. They are located on your left, as you leave the study/library through the false wall/door. They actually work (not not electricity but they move) You can take a box breaker lever and throw it up or down, depending on its orientation as you get to it. It will make a LOUD POP. The larger boxes make the best noise.
REPORTED: Stephan Lastinger 15 APR 00
On September 15,1998 at around park opening, (9:00) local TV channels and news around Florida reported that an elevator in the Tower of Terror malfunctioned sending a load of people crashing down when they weren't supposed to. An emergency stopping device kicked in, and all 20 or so people inside the elevator had to go to local hospitals, and all that medical stuff.
REPORTED: anon 15 SEP 98
Just before you enter the CTX building, to the left of the door is a dedication plaque with the date April 22, 1978 on it, exactly 20 years before park opening. A similar example can be found on the gate at the entrance to Tower of Terror in MGM. That plaque reads, KEEP OUT! October 31, 1939. That is the exact date that lightning struck the tower and sent those unlucky guests to... THE TWILIGHT ZONE.
REPORTED: Peter Stepniewicz 10 MAY 98
Everybody knows that the Tower of Terror ride if full of details and mysteries (if you will). One of those,is a perfectly shaped cross (gray color)located on the front wall of the hotel (where the Hollywood Tower Hotel sign is) at the left hand side of the little balcony in the right side corner. The cross is part of the many cracks that the wall has. Why did they do this? Are they blessing the tower with this Christian symbol in order to prevent fatal accidents on the ride?
REPORTED: Yaritza Figueroa 13 SEP 98
It is a fact that when the tower first opened, it almost immediately closed. A cast member told me it was because one of the backstage inside walls had blown out.
REPORTED: Scott 16 JAN 98
From the front of the hotel, there is a single window, easily seen, with a light in it. Its just a dummy room with a light in it to add to the effect of the eirie hotel.
REPORTED: sean m odonnell 08 MAR 97
CONFIRMED: Goot 22 FEB 99
CONFIRMED: Tom & Renée Shaw 26 DEC 00
The break room for the Tower of Terror is actually located between the two drop shafts, around the third floor. This means you can hear the screams perfectly as you eat, and the T.V. shakes whenever one of the unit drops. Also, there are service hallways between the breakrooms and the shafts, with emergency doors that open into the shafts. If you stand in these halls when an elevator drops, you can see the whole wall bend outward from the compressed air in the dropshaft.
REPORTED: Goot 22 FEB 99
CONFIRMED: TR Shaw 07 DEC 99
I work in Area 25 known as the Hollywood Hills and I eat all of my breaks at the Tower of Terror. The breakroom has got to be the coolest thing in the world. You go up a flight of stairs and down a plain hallway and then there is a right turn. It quickly dead ends, but there is a door that says; "DO NOT OPEN!" This door leads straight into the shafts or "The Twilight Zone." As the ride runs, the door and the wall expands like the wall is breathing!! It is awesome!
UPDATED: Ben M. 01 SEP 00
On the gate when you first go in, there is an eviction notice for the Hollywood Tower Hotel.
REPORTED: Sean Holland 01 MAR 97
In the Tower of Terror, all of the ramps and walkways are tilted at a 2-4 degree angle. The combination of mist (when you first are walking up), the lighting and the tilt, cause you to become disorienated. and also heighten the thrill of the ride.
REPORTED: Randy 15 JUN 97
When you walk into the lobby in the right hand line there is a magazine on a table to your right. The byline on the magazine says that it contains cartoons by Walt Disney.
REPORTED: Goot 04 AUG 99
In the lobby while you're standing behind the velvet rope in line, look to the far left of the lobby and you will see a small table with two chairs facing each other. On the table there are two champagne glasses and an old bottle holder standing next to the table. If you have really good eye-sight, you will see lipstick on one of the glasses, and sitting on the table is a white glove with a diamond ring on it... A cast member told me that the story behind this is that the glasses were there b/c a couple were celebrating b/c they had just gotten engaged,when lightning struck the hotel and they dissapeared into the Twilight Zone. creepy, huh?
thats it thanx to hiddenmikeys.com ok enjoy 4:22 pm 7/12/2001 ok bye leava note

El_Pato

ToT drop system

The ToT ride system is the most advance of it's kind. It drop shaft has to high-powered motor, one is located at the top of the shaft and one is at the bottom. For dropping faster than gravity they, the Imagineers, use the motor at the bottom to pull you down while the one at the top is freely spinning. They then quickly decelerate the elevator by slowing down the free spinning of the top motor. Multiple computers control the ride system so that at all times there is redundancy and the ride system cannot fail.

WEDMagic

yeah both drive motors were installed in the top of the tower before the ride was completed they each have the combined torque of 275 corvette engines thats liken130625 pounds of torque...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom