Tower of Terror !!

ASDFGHJKL

Original Poster
The two motors that power the elevators are 12 feet tall, 7 feet wide, 35 feet long and weigh 132 000 pounds !!!

talk about heavy

ASDFGHJKL

Original Poster
Originally posted by The_CEO
The motors are 35 feet long?

You sure?

it says in the walt disney imagineering book p 163,3 rd column 3 paragraph

and im pretty sure that if the book was made by the imagineers that the info is correct

Disneydream2003

Imaginerring book

I've been trying to get a book like that that explains the imagineering...Can you tell me more about the book and where I can get it??

Thanks

ASDFGHJKL

Original Poster
Re: Imaginerring book

Originally posted by Disneydream2003
I've been trying to get a book like that that explains the imagineering...Can you tell me more about the book and where I can get it??

Thanks

Here is the list of some of favorites

- Disneyland Paris
By Alain Littaye and Didier Ghez

This is my favorite book, it shows everything form the spark to the models to the construction to the final result.

-------------------------------------------------------

- Imagineering a behind the dreams look at making the magic real
By the imaginers

This is a very very very good book, shows a lot of the construction and it goes into the slightest details of the ride making process. A MUST FOR ANY DISNEY FREAK LIKE ME :- )

-------------------------------------------------------

the Disneyland paris book I got during my summer vacation at disneyland paris ( by the way it was amazing 5 days) and the Imagineering one I got at a bookstore near where I live, BUT I have seen both selling online at amazon (I think)

Tom

Beta Return
Elevators

Originally posted by The_CEO
The motors are 35 feet long?

You sure?

Even without prooving that fact by using a book, you can reasonably assume that the motors could be that big. A typical elevator motor (for a multi-stop cable elevator) is very large. The motors for the ToT have to raise and lower the elevator at 28 mph, switching direction instantly, and accelerating faster than the speed of gravity. Gonna take a BIG motor, haha!

magiclarsen

Motors are huge! I have seen them!

I was a Bellhop from Jan 2003 till August 2003 on the WDW College Program. Best experience of my life. I used to have to go up to the Motor Room in the morning if i was opening the attraction. Yes the motors are that large, and 3 times as powerful as the elevator motors that were in the World Trade Center. If you have any other questions about the Tower let me know :)

Captain Hank

That'd be one of my top choices for doing a CP. Unfortunately, since I'm a Bio major, I can't justify any other CP than a science internship in AK or Epcot. There have been some dissenting opinions on whether Rod Sterling's voice is actually ever heard during the attraction. What's your take on it?

magiclarsen

It is not actually Serling's voice. It is another voice actor throughout the whole attraction. Rod Serling's wife however, did pick out this particular voice actor.

LadyDarling

So - where IS that hidden Mickey in the bioler room! My DH SWEARS he's seen it, but he won't tell me where (which makes me think he just likes to hear me call him a liar LOL).

isnet396

hypercatmatt04 said:
look up right before you drop...you can see the wires.....cool

I believe the vehicle in which you travel has a roof or other type of covering over it, thus looking up won't be that effective.

Coasterbp

isnet396 said:
I believe the vehicle in which you travel has a roof or other type of covering over it, thus looking up won't be that effective.

Sections of the VVC (the thing your "elevator" rolls into for the vertical movement of the ride) are made of mesh to allow air to pass through. You can see up through it. When you're at the bottom and about to shoot back up, look up, you can easily see the open Horton Doors above you, and the cables attached to the top.

Tom

Beta Return
I was watching a show on the Travel Channel a few months back (which I taped, of course) that had a shot in the motor room of the ToT. It's amazing how clean and sterile it is compared the the theme in the attraction area of the building.

The engines are HUGE.

As for seeing the cables, I've looked up and I've never been able to see through the roof of the carriage. The walls of the elevator are wire fencing, but the carriage that carries you up and down the main shaft has solid walls and ceiling, as near as I can tell. If you want to see the cables (as if they were some big secret), just go out front and watch them :p

P.S. Horton is the US leader in automatic doors - not surprised that they're used in the ToT

MrNonacho

Premium Member
I think both where you sit in the vehicle and what time of day it is determine how much you can see out the top. I've definitely been able to see the top of the shaft, including cables and doors, just by looking up. You might have better luck if you ride late in the day, when the sun shines directly into the shaft through the open doors.

chrisps

tower of terror

That is cool that you can see the cables in shaf when you are geting redy to go down. I have seen the cables in the shaf when I was in line for the ride but never got to see the montors of the araction. Is there any way that I can see the motors in the shaf of the tower of terror? I have always wanted to see the motors of the ride seen I frist rode the ride. If I ask a cast member at the tower of terror will I be able to see the motors of the atction? can someone post a pictere of the motors of the ride running or post a viedo of the cables running the actrction I aways wanted to see how the ride works. How big is the motor of the ride that runns the ride? Is the motor were you get on the ride real or is is eye candy with sound effects and flasing lights?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I think you keyboard needs a clean - it keeps missing out letters!

There is no way you will get to see the inside of the shaft working - unless you are a working maintainence cast member. Once of the Discovery Channel programs (Imagineers I think) actually did an interview on top of the VVC (the carriage that you ride in for the drops) - you could see the shaft, cables, everything. It just looks like a regular elevator shaft. Read the start of this topic for motor info; the motor in loading is just eye candy. The real motors for the drop shafts are in the top floors.

DarkMeasures

marni1971 said:
I think you keyboard needs a clean - it keeps missing out letters!

There is no way you will get to see the inside of the shaft working - unless you are a working maintainence cast member. Once of the Discovery Channel programs (Imagineers I think) actually did an interview on top of the VVC (the carriage that you ride in for the drops) - you could see the shaft, cables, everything. It just looks like a regular elevator shaft. Read the start of this topic for motor info; the motor in loading is just eye candy. The real motors for the drop shafts are in the top floors.

Wouldn't there be a motor in the top of the tower and one in the bottom?
If you ever watch from outside, you can see 2 cables attached to the car. One pulls the car up, the other pulls down. I makes perfect sense because the cars fall at a rate faster than gravity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom