Tower of Terror effects status watch

Tom Morrow

To the untrained eye, its not in awful shape, but it wasn't in great shape at all before, certainly not acceptable for a company charging premium theme park prices.

The fact that it actually did apparently receive some form of a refurb, only to have nothing improved (in typical WDW fashion) really speaks volumes for how today's WDW is run.

cjkeating

A bad new update.

Refurb is over.

Audio is worse in places. Sync is still out. Nothing new added and some effects like the boiler room load motors aren't working.

Bad news.

Any idea why the refurb ended? Did they get what they wanted to do done or was it a money thing?

Tom Morrow

I'm going to guess whatever it was was something like:

"We need to shut down for a few days for some required maintenance."
"Should we also take this time to fix up the show effects since it will be down anyway?"
"...nah. They're tourists... what do they know?"

DLR uses refurbishments to refresh and fix things. WDW refurbishments do the bare minimum.

afar28

Sorry for the bump but decided this would be better then creating a new thread. But what a horrible day it's been for our beloved ToT. One of the elevators was down all day, and the sign is completely out
image.jpg

Never knew this ride could have a 13 minute wait either!

image.jpg

Magenta Panther

This really ticks me off. The last great Imagineering achievement - the kind we'll likely never see again (thanks, Iger and TDO, you cheap*sses) - is being neglected like this? What the heck's the excuse? Whoever's running WDW needs to get fired, NOW.

Sped2424

This really ticks me off. The last great Imagineering achievement - the kind we'll likely never see again (thanks, Iger and TDO, you cheap*sses) - is being neglected like this? What the heck's the excuse? Whoever's running WDW needs to get fired, NOW.
I think star wars and pandora are going to have experiences on par with Tower. I get that you may not like those properties but the possibilities are there. If we are talking the last original concept for a ride then I suppose I can understand.

BaconPancakes

I think star wars and pandora are going to have experiences on par with Tower. I get that you may not like those properties but the possibilities are there. If we are talking the last original concept for a ride then I suppose I can understand.
Pandora is getting a Soarin' clone, so extremely doubtful...

Bairstow

Almost everyone on here has said it's far more than just a clone of soarin so you are being a tad unfair to the state of the attraction.

I don't know if it would qualify as being "far more," but I don't think "clone" is appropriate to use, simply because the ride hardware is going to be different.
Ride experience, though? Yeah, it's pretty much going to be Soaring Over California again.

Bairstow

Yet Universal always get criticized by fans as being all screens based. I wouldn't be surprised if all of the main Star Wars attractions are going to be screen based as well.

I would.
Disney's recent trend for big-ish attractions (Racers, Minetrain, Grizzly Mountain, most of Mystic Manor) has actually been a trend away from screen-based attractions.
We know that the big Avatar E-ticket is going to be a flying theater of some stripe, but if we're honest, over-reliance on screens is not currently one of WDI's faults.

Sped2424

I don't know if it would qualify as being "far more," but I don't think "clone" is appropriate to use, simply because the ride hardware is going to be different.
Ride experience, though? Yeah, it's pretty much going to be Soaring Over California again.

Have you been on the attraction? I understand it's using a similar set up, but radiator springs, and test track are not the same experience despite sharing ride systems. It's all in the execution.

Bairstow

Have you been on the attraction? I understand it's using a similar set up, but radiator springs, and test track are not the same experience despite sharing ride systems. It's all in the execution.

Well sure, but as soon as it was known that Radiator Springs Racers was going to use the Test Track vehicles anyone familiar with the system could have drawn a lot of reasonable conclusions about what the ride could and wouldn't be capable of doing.
Same with Soaring over Pandora. The ride hardware and even rough blueprints of the ride building are known at this point. There may be some surprises in store, but in general we know what we'll be getting, and it's pretty much soarin'.

Sped2424

Well sure, but as soon as it was known that Radiator Springs Racers was going to use the Test Track vehicles anyone familiar with the system could have drawn a lot of reasonable conclusions about what the ride could and wouldn't be capable of doing.
Same with Soaring over Pandora. The ride hardware and even rough blueprints of the ride building are known at this point. There may be some surprises in store, but in general we know what we'll be getting, and it's pretty much soarin'.
Again you just refuted yourself because Cars and Test Track are most definitly not one and the same even with the "capabilities" as you say being mapped out. You don't know what they are doing with the ride vehicles nor have you ridden what they have made. To simply say it's pretty much soarin' is an incorrect statement given how little you have to go off other than a ride vehicle. Is mermaid pretty much the haunted mansion? Again you are completely limiting the experience before it has yet to prove itself.

Tom Morrow

I don't think its a fair comparison. Big, elaborate circuit rides with physical sets are always going to feel unique because of their content. There is only so much sensation you can pull out of suspending seats in front of a big screen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom