'Touch-to-Pay' RFID devices to roll out to many locations tomorrow

afar28

Why are they spending billions on next gen, when maybe, oh I don't know, use it to expand the parks?
Next gen is fine and dandy, and I'm glad to see Disney advancing with its technology, but I'd rather see them focus on expanding the parks right now

Lil Fort

Anyone else worried about how long it will take thieves to create 'Touch to Steal' technologies so they can get your info off of your bracelet, transfer it to another bracelet and start shopping on your dime? I'm sure Disney has security built in (at least I hope this won't be value engineered), but let's face it that unfortunately there are a lot of dishonest people in the world and some of them are pretty tech savvy.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Anyone else worried about how long it will take thieves to create 'Touch to Steal' technologies so they can get your info off of your bracelet, transfer it to another bracelet and start shopping on your dime? I'm sure Disney has security built in (at least I hope this won't be value engineered), but let's face it that unfortunately there are a lot of dishonest people in the world and some of them are pretty tech savvy.
It is a heck of a lot more secure than a magnetic stripe on a room card, so not worried about that at all.

Lil Fort

It is a heck of a lot more secure than a magnetic stripe on a room card, so not worried about that at all.
Is it? A would be thief can't read the magnetic stripe on a room card just by being in close proximity to it. They have to actually steal the card to use it.

If a thief was able to reverse engineer what is on the bracelet, they could theoretically carry around an RFID reader, 'bump' into your wrist, read the information off of the bracelet and load that information into another bracelet. They would be off shopping and you wouldn't even know there is a problem until you checked out of your room.

I'm sure that Disney has safeguards in place, but never underestimate the cunning of a thief. If there is a buck to be made, they will try to make it.

Now if it is required of me to finger scan for purchases as well as for getting in the parks, that makes me feel a little more warm and fuzzy about this.

bhg469

Is it? A would be thief can't read the magnetic stripe on a room card just by being in close proximity to it. They have to actually steal the card to use it.

If a thief was able to reverse engineer what is on the bracelet, they could theoretically carry around an RFID reader, 'bump' into your wrist, read the information off of the bracelet and load that information into another bracelet. They would be off shopping and you wouldn't even know there is a problem until you checked out of your room.

I'm sure that Disney has safeguards in place, but never underestimate the cunning of a thief. If there is a buck to be made, they will try to make it.

Now if it is required of me to finger scan for purchases as well as for getting in the parks, that makes me feel a little more warm and fuzzy about this.
You're right! While a device to read a mag strip is much cheaper and easy to find it is unlikely that someone could unknowingly have their card scanned because it would have to be given to the person scanning it or it would be taken from them. RFID requires expensive technology to read but it can be done without the user knowing it happened.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
It appears that the RFID is tied into the account created when the guest checks in. Charges to this account, and the credit card used for authorization can be reviewed before checkout for any discrepancies. Plus, any charges over $50 will require a PIN, which would not be known to someone stealing the RFID information. In the end, it looks like the majority of the risk falls on the side of Disney, and not the resort guest.

Lil Fort

It appears that the RFID is tied into the account created when the guest checks in. Charges to this account, and the credit card used for authorization can be reviewed before checkout for any discrepancies. Plus, any charges over $50 will require a PIN, which would not be known to someone stealing the RFID information. In the end, it looks like the majority of the risk falls on the side of Disney, and not the resort guest.
That makes me feel a bit better. I wish it would be required on all charges though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom