Toto, I have a feeling we aren’t in Hollywood Studios anymore..

Heppenheimer

Was Monster and Superstar not open?

The following summer it was a fantastic full day park. With hours to match.
I was there in the summer of 1989 too. Both those shows were open then. Perhaps it wasn't a half day park, but maybe a 2/3 day park. We had seen everything by mid-afternoon.

UNCgolf

I loved the 1990s Disney-MGM studios. It wasn't as good as EPCOT at that time, but it was just as fun as Magic Kingdom to me -- partially because the theming was so incredibly well done. It did such a great job of invoking the feeling of certain areas of Los Angeles.

It's just a weird place now, because there's so many remnants of the original park -- the architecture, the themed restaurants (sci-fi drive in, 50s diner, Brown Derby), etc. mixed together with totally separate Star Wars and Toy Story lands. Because it's changed so much and is so discordant now, even with those new additions it's still the worst park at WDW (part of that is nostalgia for the EPCOT that no longer exists, but even with Future World being mostly destroyed at the moment I still prefer World Showcase and the remnants of Future World to current Hollywood Studios).

Heppenheimer

I loved the 1990s Disney-MGM studios. It wasn't as good as EPCOT at that time, but it was just as fun as Magic Kingdom to me -- partially because the theming was so incredibly well done. It did such a great job of invoking the feeling of certain areas of Los Angeles.

It's just a weird place now, because there's so many remnants of the original park -- the architecture, the themed restaurants (sci-fi drive in, 50s diner, Brown Derby), etc. mixed together with totally separate Star Wars and Toy Story lands. Because it's changed so much and is so discordant now, even with those new additions it's still the worst park at WDW (part of that is nostalgia for the EPCOT that no longer exists, but even with Future World being mostly destroyed at the moment I still prefer World Showcase and the remnants of Future World to current Hollywood Studios).
Even when it was new, I thought it was the worst park (although still quite enjoyable). Of the original attractions, only the Great Movie Ride really warranted repeating... well, maybe Catastrophe Canyon, if they could have found a way to work it into another attraction.

UNCgolf

Even when it was new, I thought it was the worst park (although still quite enjoyable). Of the original attractions, only the Great Movie Ride really warranted repeating... well, maybe Catastrophe Canyon, if they could have found a way to work it into another attraction.

I agree that it was the "worst", but it was still a great park -- it's just that EPCOT was the best park ever built at that point and the Magic Kingdom was the Magic Kingdom, so it had far more rides if nothing else. I don't think it's a great park at the moment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom