Top Thing to do with a newbie?

kasey1988

This will be my boyfriends first trip to disney! We will be at POFQ in Sept 2012. What is the Top thing you would recommend that we make sure he sees/does while there?

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Enjoying the ambiance of the parks, my favorite thing is to sit by the hub at night and enjoy a Mickey premium bar and look at the castle and people watch. As for rides don't miss big thunder, tower of terror, or toy story.

Upvote 0

kasey1988

Original Poster
It depends on the person. What does he like, love and hate?

He loves sports and being outdoors. He is a very active person. We have visited other local theme parks and he enjoys "fast, high" rides. He also enjoys architecture and looking at how things are made, especially if they are unique. He also LOVES food, especially sweet treats.. He is pretty open to trying anything once :) . He has also said he is looking to make this a romantic trip, which is one of the reasons we chose POFQ over a value.

Upvote 0

kasey1988

Original Poster
I think the best thing for nearly any first time WDW visitor is to simply walk down Main Street USA. Take your time, do not rush. You only get to walk down Main Street for the first time once and I have never met anyone who hasn't truly enjoyed the first time they walked down Main Street. Since he likes sweets, you could stop at the candy store but you might want to save this for when you are leaving.

Assuming you start at MK (nearly everyone does), the "fast" rides are the 3 mountains. On the other hand, if has has never been to a "real" theme park before, then POC and HM will probably be unlike anything he's ever experienced.

Assuming he's a roller coaster junkie, you should take him to EE, RnRC, and ToT.

A more detailed suggestion really depends on how many days you'll be there and whether you plan to park hop.

We will be park hopping! Still debating on adding the water parks, but we are leaning towards calling to add the option. We will be there for 7nights/8days. Waiting on the park hours to be released, but will probally start with the Magic Kingdom (just waiting on park hours to be released!). Its impossable to see everything in one visit, just want to make sure he gets the best disney experience!

Upvote 0

JillC LI

Since you said he likes sweets, you've gotta get him a Dole Whip Float. We like to get them about a half hour before the afternoon parade at the MK, snag a spot on the wooden platforms in Frontierland, and eat them while we wait for the parade to begin.

Upvote 0

dreamingofwdw

I would recommend getting to Magic Kingdom for the rope drop. There is so much excitement to be felt! Plus, it is nice to walk down Main St. with the cast members all waving good morning as you walk in too!

Upvote 0

CaptainShortty

Take your time. You're probably going to be eager to get to "everything" since he's never done any of it before but make sure you take the time for him (and you too) to savor the magic that is just being in Disney World. As far as must do attractions:

MK: The three mountains, HM, Dumbo (pending it'll still be open while you're there), IASM, Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Train

Epcot: TT, MS, Spaceship Earth, Soarin'

Studios: ToT, RnRc, TSM, Star Tours, Great Movie Ride

AK: FOLK, EE, Dinosaur, Kali River Rapids

If he loves architecture be sure to budget in some time in World Showcase as well as visiting the hotels. I suggest WL, the Grand and DAKL as a few that have really pretty architecture. For thrill junkies the waterparks are also good. I suggest BB over TL for the more thrill rides. Have a great time! Showing someone Disney for the first time is one of the best things ever! =)

Upvote 0

Kirk88

We started our 3 "newbies" (kids) with a night at DTD the day we arrived, O'Hana Character breakfast the next morning and then straight to MK. They LOVED it! I really don't think there is a wrong way to do it when it's a 1st time. Have fun!

Upvote 0

KaliSplash

THE thing he should do is all of the following:
MK: WDW Railroad. Monsters Inc. Laught Floor, Carrosel of Progress, Space Mountain, It's a Small World (seriously), Haunted Mansion, Hall of Presidents, Country Bear Jamboree, Big Thunder Mountain, Jungle Cruise, Tiki Birds, Pirates of the Carribean and most of all Splash Mountain.
Epcot: Spaceship Earth, Soaring, Test Track, Mission:Space, the Malestrom, American Adventure.
DHS: Tower of Terror, Rock N Roller Coaster, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Great Movie Ride, Indiana Jones, Star Tours, Lights, Motors, Action and Fantasmic.
Animal Kingdom: Dinosaur, Expedition Everest, Kilamanjaro Safari and most of all: Kali River Rapids.
Blizzard Beach: Summit Plummet, Teamboat Springs.
Typhoon Lagoon: Crusher Gusher.

Upvote 0

ob1thx1138

I would recommend getting to Magic Kingdom for the rope drop. There is so much excitement to be felt! Plus, it is nice to walk down Main St. with the cast members all waving good morning as you walk in too!

I agree. Be there nice and early to enjoy the rope drop and then the "parade" down main street as everyone enters the park.

Upvote 0

dizzney

Besides the ideas above, make sure he gets to visit with Mickey Mouse, newbies should always get to see the mouse that started it all on their first trip, get the picutre with teh photopass photographer, great memory!

Did this in August with my cousins who were newbies and they cant stop talking about meeting the mouse!

Upvote 0

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I always take a newbie to It's a Small World first. It sets the stage for what Walt Disney dreamed and after that they are constantly amazed at the attractions.

Upvote 0

eroyee

Port Orleans Riverside has a romantic carriage ride at night that goes around the resort, etc., and its not expensive...Also, they have a fishing pond.

Upvote 0

smk

To any "newbie" I have ever taken to WDW the first thing I ever say to them is not to tell me if they hate the place. I don't even want to know if they are just so so on the place, I want no dissention at all. :lol::lookaroun

I would never take a "newbie" non stop to the parks, if they suggest something they want to see then we go to their choice first, if they have no suggestions, then we do what I want to do. :lol::lookaroun

I am really only half serious about this, however, if it was an important "newbie" such as a boyfriend, if he doesn't like it as much as you, rethink your relationship! :lookaroun If he hates it and you love it, it could spell some trouble for you wanting to go again and again and he doesn't. Finding a match in life is one thing, finding a match in love for all things WDW is one great thing! I am so happy my husband loves it as much as he does and nearly as much as I love it. A match made in WDW heaven!

Upvote 0

Pr1nc355

Take in a dinner show the first night you are there...either HoopDeeDoRevue or The Spirit of Aloha...plus he will get to see the resorts. If you go to Hoop Dee Do you can work in a carriage ride there as well or take a boat over to MK just in time for Wishes. If you can get over to Animal Kingdom Lodge and eat at Boma...bring your bathing suits and take a dip in their beautiful pool...there are locker rooms right off the pool to get changed and ready for dinner. If you make the first reservation for the dinner service...they will beat drums and sing (they make a huge ruckess...not good if he is shy) and announce your "family" as the chosen Family of the Day. It happened to us...we loved it.
Do something memorable that you can only do at Disney...most of all, plan...just winging will leave you with regret that you didn't get to do the things you really wanted to do.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom