Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Keep it the same

Votes: 18 34.6%
  • Other/listed below

Votes: 9 17.3%

• Total voters

The Grand Inquisitor

Original Poster
Honestly after watching the old Hanna Barbera ride at Universal I was thinking that Hanna Barbera could replace Toon Lagoon. I mean Universal and Warner Bros already have a close and friendly relationship. I could see the area be split into 3 subsections. I could see the area where the old theater is next to Marvel could become themed to the Jetsons. Then the middle portion could be Scooby Doo, Yogi Bear and the other cartoons, then Dudley Do Right could become Bedrock for the Flintstones. What do you guys think? This would be my ideal replacement for Toon Lagoon.

lebeau

Honestly after watching the old Hanna Barbera ride at Universal I was thinking that Hanna Barbera could replace Toon Lagoon. I mean Universal and Warner Bros already have a close and friendly relationship. I could see the area be split into 3 subsections. I could see the area where the old theater is next to Marvel could become themed to the Jetsons. Then the middle portion could be Scooby Doo, Yogi Bear and the other cartoons, then Dudley Do Right could become Bedrock for the Flintstones. What do you guys think? This would be my ideal replacement for Toon Lagoon.

When I was growing up, Kings Island was owned by Taft Broadcasting which also owned Hanna-Barbera. So we had Hanna-Barbera Land in our backyard. It was terrific. Then Taft had financial problems and had to sell the parks. My understanding is that the Hanna-Barbera license has always been expensive.

Scooby Doo is still somewhat relevant but my kids know the Flinstones from cereal boxes and don't know Yogi Bear or The Jetsons at all. I think a full land would be slightly more contemporary than Toon Lagoon.

Last edited:

The Grand Inquisitor

Original Poster
When I was growing up, Kings Island was owned by Taft Broadcasting which also owned Hanna-Barbera. So we had Hanna-Barbera Land in our backyard. It was terrific. Then Taft had financial problems and had to sell the parks. My understanding is that the Hanna-Barbera license has always been expensive.

Scooby Goo is still somewhat relevant but my kids know the Flinstones from cereal boxes and don't know Yogi Bear or The Jetsons at all. I think a full land would be slightly more contemporary than Toon Lagoon.
That's awesome! Interesting I had no idea it would be expensive. I agree Scooby Doo and Flinstones are very iconic and still recognizable. I wonder if the Hanna Barbera brand could become more popular since they are doing more movies. I think a entire Bedrock land could be really cool. It would be so cool to see how Universal could accomplish it.

The Grand Inquisitor

Original Poster
Do any of you guys know why Universal picked to have a Dudley Do right ride over Rocky and Bullwinkle? I always thought that was very odd. Rocky and Bullwinkle would make for a really great ride. They could build a indoor dark ride over by the theater they never use.

dave&di

Yeah I can definitely see your point. It hasn't stopped Universal before. Especially with Race through New York. Like in the next few years Jimmy Fallon might step down.
I don’t understand why the Jimmy Fallon ride exists. I’m from England but I’m very much aware of his work (I don’t find him funny!) Is he that popular in the states? I’ve watched the ride on the Internet, doesn’t look that good. Was there a ride there a few years ago with another Chat show hosts name or am I making that up?!? I don’t see this ride being around for a lot of years.

JT3000

I don’t understand why the Jimmy Fallon ride exists. I’m from England but I’m very much aware of his work (I don’t find him funny!) Is he that popular in the states? I’ve watched the ride on the Internet, doesn’t look that good. Was there a ride there a few years ago with another Chat show hosts name or am I making that up?!? I don’t see this ride being around for a lot of years.

No, this is the first attraction based on a talk show. Fallon and Conan O'Brien have both hosted the studio tram tour in Hollywood though.

Fallon was okay as an SNL cast member, but I think he's terrible as host of the Tonight Show. I know he would disagree. He's his own biggest fan. Never misses an opportunity to laugh at his own jokes. The ride itself is fine, if unremarkable. It's about as good as it could have been, given the source material.

Jon81uk

Universal wanted more NBC representation in the park I think. This is more about brand synergy than anything else.

OG Runner

I really think Kung Fu Panda would be great. (not that I really think it needs to be replaced)
There are plenty of options for rides, character meet and greets, and pretty cool theming.

lebeau

Americans by and large don't find him all that funny either. That was corporate synergy.

cookiee_munster

Part of me thinks a SpongeBob overlay would be kind of interesting, but is it too much of an old franchise to really bother with now? on one part the original theme of the land is based off characters that are pretty old and not super well known to some guests. I think we've learn't by now that as long as the ride its self is solid and has re-rideability you could theme it around a beige tin of paint and people would still love it...
Another thing is water rides in a world that's already underwater, but that was once dealt with in an episode that was pretty daft.

If there was a way to recreate Bikini Bottom inside a show building like mermaid lagoon at tokyo disneysea that would be amazing! :D

Coolbert

Part of me thinks a SpongeBob overlay would be kind of interesting, but is it too much of an old franchise to really bother with now? on one part the original theme of the land is based off characters that are pretty old and not super well known to some guests. I think we've learn't by now that as long as the ride its self is solid and has re-rideability you could theme it around a beige tin of paint and people would still love it...
Another thing is water rides in a world that's already underwater, but that was once dealt with in an episode that was pretty daft.

If there was a way to recreate Bikini Bottom inside a show building like mermaid lagoon at tokyo disneysea that would be amazing! :D
I feel that replacing the Cartoon Circus section of Toon Lagoon with a Bikini Bottom subarea anchored by a dark ride that's basically "Runaway Railway but Spongebob" would be great for IOA and the IP.

It's too bad Comcast and Viacom have been too cheap to give us any Spongebob representation greater than a store and parade float.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom