Took 24 years but it finally happened...

bigkbull

Original Poster
I've been traveling to WDW for almost 24 years. First with my parents as a child (thanks guys!) and then making it a yearly trip as an adult. I'm coming from New England and have traveled at all times of the year. July, August, Sept, Oct, Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar. I was always able to dodge the weather. Whether it was a hurricane or a blizzard, I always seemed to get lucky and just miss it. Well, my streak has come to an end. My wife and I were supposed to fly down on Jan 20th for our babymoon (last trip before the new baby!). We had a 7am flight... got cancelled about 24 hrs beforehand. Changed it to 11:30AM flight. That one gets cancelled 3 hours later. Changed it to a 6PM flight. That one then got cancelled day of about 6 hours before the flight. I just looked at my wife and said, "I don't think we're going on this vacation." The next flight available was for the next day at 7PM, putting us into MCO at about 10:30PM on 1/21. We were only originally scheduled for three nights, checking out 1/23. The trip just wasn't worth it at that point. We would have gotten in, passed out, had the next day and then left the next day.

So there isn't much else to this post other than to say I pushed my luck for a while and it finally got me. All in all I'd say my track record isn't too bad.

Honestly, the saddest part to me is that I really, REALLY, wanted the Figment AP magnet. With my wife being 32 weeks pregnant at this point we're just not going to be able to make it down. Oh well, there's always eBay. :/

Thanks for reading my sad tale, hope you enjoyed. Thanks Winter Storm Harper.

PortOrleans

I've been traveling to WDW for almost 24 years. First with my parents as a child (thanks guys!) and then making it a yearly trip as an adult. I'm coming from New England and have traveled at all times of the year. July, August, Sept, Oct, Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar. I was always able to dodge the weather. Whether it was a hurricane or a blizzard, I always seemed to get lucky and just miss it. Well, my streak has come to an end. My wife and I were supposed to fly down on Jan 20th for our babymoon (last trip before the new baby!). We had a 7am flight... got cancelled about 24 hrs beforehand. Changed it to 11:30AM flight. That one gets cancelled 3 hours later. Changed it to a 6PM flight. That one then got cancelled day of about 6 hours before the flight. I just looked at my wife and said, "I don't think we're going on this vacation." The next flight available was for the next day at 7PM, putting us into MCO at about 10:30PM on 1/21. We were only originally scheduled for three nights, checking out 1/23. The trip just wasn't worth it at that point. We would have gotten in, passed out, had the next day and then left the next day.

So there isn't much else to this post other than to say I pushed my luck for a while and it finally got me. All in all I'd say my track record isn't too bad.

Honestly, the saddest part to me is that I really, REALLY, wanted the Figment AP magnet. With my wife being 32 weeks pregnant at this point we're just not going to be able to make it down. Oh well, there's always eBay. :/

Thanks for reading my sad tale, hope you enjoyed. Thanks Winter Storm Harper.

That is super unfortunate. Disappointing as it may be, you've just got to see what positives you can. You've got your family with you and that's what matters most. :) With all this time stuck inside due to the cold, you can get a head start on planning your next trip!

bigkbull

Original Poster
That is super unfortunate. Disappointing as it may be, you've just got to see what positives you can. You've got your family with you and that's what matters most. :) With all this time stuck inside due to the cold, you can get a head start on planning your next trip!

That is very true! I guess I can't be too sad, we do have baby's first trip planned for November '19! :)

aliceismad

Sorry to hear about your trip. I would buy you a Figment magnet and ship it to you when I go next, but I'm not an AP.

macefamily

Next trip you'll be taking your new baby.
Back in November we were already in FL, and we were flying my 20 yr old son down by himself to meet us. He was at an airport for 4:30 AM for an early flight which was cancelled three times. I finally was able to get in touch with customer service and they re-routed him. I picked him up at 9:30 PM that evening at MCO. 17 travel day for him. Then we went to Universal Horror Nights until 1:00 AM that night. He was burned out.

zurgandfriend

Sorry about your missed vacation. I am from New England also and have been very lucky never having a flight canceled. The worst I have had was arriving home from WDW in December after a snowstorm. The limo dropped us off at the end of the driveway and I had to wade through 9 inches of snow to get a shovel to make a path to allow my DW and DS to get into the house. Being at WDW one day and snow blowing the next day was a real slap in the face. Good luck with the baby.

JIMINYCR

Hated to read this. Nothing worse than having a trip you are looking forward to get cancelled. We were flying out one Feb. and Logan was threatening to cancel the flights because of incoming blizzard. Fortunately we got off into the air before anything got shut down. Made it to FL with just some rough turbulence along the way. That year the warmth of WDW was sooo welcoming.

KIsAPrincess

Awwww. I've got a Harper. And we are pass holders. If I can still snag a figment magnet when I go back, I would be more than happy to mail it to you. Hoping to squeeze in a day trip in the next two weeks.

bigkbull

Original Poster
Awwww. I've got a Harper. And we are pass holders. If I can still snag a figment magnet when I go back, I would be more than happy to mail it to you. Hoping to squeeze in a day trip in the next two weeks.

That is incredibly thoughtful of you! I hope you do make it down. Not just because it would benefit me, but every one should go to Disney as much as possible!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom