Too old to buy DVC?

Joe Giacomin

Original Poster
my wife and I are Florida residents, we are 64. Since relocating to FL we travel to Disney for about 10 days per year. Like the deluxe resorts and are seriously considering buying some points through resale. Any thoughts? Have two adult children who would enjoy the use, as well as eventually the contract.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Never too old! If you have the finances to buy In and pay the dues every year I don't see any reason not to if you enjoy deluxe resorts and go at least 10
Days a year.
Also you said that you have adult children and a DVC contract can be transferred to them at some point if you decide to do that, and then their kids down the line as well. :)

Tom

Beta Return
One thing to make sure is that whoever you "will" the contract to will be able and willing to pay the dues for the remainder of the contract.

Seanual757

My mother and father purchased DVC @ VGF the same day we purchased ours they are 63, and 65 they opted for 200 points a year they will be leaving DVC to my sister and I to split (they purchased it so they can spend more time with the grand kids).

dreamfinder

Considering most resales let you hit the breakeven in 7-10 years as long as you don't need to finance, no reason not to. I'd suspect you will at least hit the breakeven and most likely beyond. Just tell the kids you are investing their inheritance in DVC and they will get the deed at some point down the road....

sxeensweet

Considering most resales let you hit the breakeven in 7-10 years as long as you don't need to finance, no reason not to. I'd suspect you will at least hit the breakeven and most likely beyond. Just tell the kids you are investing their inheritance in DVC and they will get the deed at some point down the road....
Another point of view.. Nothing is wrong with the financing even at an older age if they can afford to pay on it monthly for 5-10 years. Also it can be paid off early if you want to. If they wanted to pay it off in 1,2,3 years they could. That's totally a personal decision and if they are are okay with paying the said interest rate so be it. We financed and yes did all the math prior, and it worked for us. I would never advise someone not to buy DVC if wanting to finance no matter what their age. Totally up to their finances and personal preference. :)

Seanual757

We financed ours we will be paying it off in 5 years vs. the 10 years they math for us still worked out in our favor with the amount of times we stay a year and the amount of $$$ we spend on it each year. The past 3 years I could have paid for half of my DVC membership already.

sxeensweet

We financed ours we will be paying it off in 5 years vs. the 10 years they math for us still worked out in our favor with the amount of times we stay a year and the amount of $$$ we spend on it each year. The past 3 years I could have paid for half of my DVC membership already.
Yep that was a lot like our experience and decision to finance. In 3-4 trips prior to buying we had spent 2/3 of what it cost to buy in (including financing) on those three trips alone just for our rooms with room discounts even! Lol. We personally did not want to pay that very large chunk for 220 points at AKV at one time. We don't pay for a car in full right away so we were not about to pay DVC in full right away. lol. We plan on paying it off early if at all possible. :)

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I was in my 6th decade when I bought, so no, you're not too old. Plus, once that 3rd generation starts arriving, a deluxe villa is a much better option for a resort stay.

Disneykidder

Hi Joe! You can always gift your contracts to your children. We have two contracts and plan on a third so that when we are older we can give one to each child!!

(JOE, it's Shana G :) )

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom