Too much renovations at WDW?

Hayley In Wonderland

Even during better days, DHS always felt a bit like "a glorified food court" (with shops) to me - but especially these last few years.

Sure, the back end of the park is where most of the construction is taking place, but you have to think about all the things that closed to get us here. And it's a LOT.
But the point the guy made was not having anywhere to eat at HS because of the rennovations, when in fact there is plenty of places to eat?

I know Pizza Planet went but was replaced with PizzeRizzo, so a food place was closed for a food place?

KBLovedDisney

The way I see it, construction and updates now is like how I see cell phones.
I miss the old style flip phones. They were rugged and served their purpose well and didn't need to be changed.

However...

Would old style flip phones stand up to today's technology? Nope. Regardless of how much we miss the old, we can't go back in time and put it back where it was.

So, with all of the construction that TDC is doing right now shows me that they are putting everything into keeping with today's world. Yes, I miss the old, but knowing that they are making such an effort to keep up and improve everything shows that they are putting a lot of love and attention back into the parks.

eliza61nyc

With all due respect they can bring back the old stuff ie: shark tank at typhoon lagoon, Horizons,Original Soarin, The food at Crystal Palace, Universe of Energy, Innnoventions, Sea base. I could keep going but its not gonna do any good. If they did or had things as cool as these were I would consider going back probably more than once a year.

Very, very rarely is "going" back ever a success. case in point, that awful Captain Eo with Michael Jackson lol I remember walking out of there and some one said "well there's 5 minutes of my life I can't get back". I thought innoventions was still open?? I guess I'm the opposite, no I'd rather have something new and exciting even if it's based off of a movie than tired and old. Ellen, IMO should have been retired long ago.

The way I see it, construction and updates now is like how I see cell phones.
I miss the old style flip phones. They were rugged and served their purpose well and didn't need to be changed.

However...

Would old style flip phones stand up to today's technology? Nope. Regardless of how much we miss the old, we can't go back in time and put it back where it was.

Well said KB
I enjoyed Ellens Universe a few times but lol the last time I went most of the folks seemed bored and the kids had no idea who Jamie lee curtis was. It had become one of those rides like the Carousel of Progress where you just sort of do because it's hot outside and you want a break, not because it's actually fun.

NickMaio

I enjoyed Ellens Universe a few times but lol the last time I went most of the folks seemed bored and the kids had no idea who Jamie lee curtis was. It had become one of those rides like the Carousel of Progress where you just sort of do because it's hot outside and you want a break, not because it's actually fun.

Nicely put - - - could not have said it better myself. Energy was such a strange ride taking up the most amount of space for any Dis ride.

graphite1326

We usually at least go every-other-year if not every year. When my travel agent called last year and had a free meal deal for me I turned it down and said we would wait until the construction was done. We went out west and had a great time. Problem for Disney is, it seems we don't miss it as much as we used to. Maybe if we get out of the "habit" we won't be going anymore.

KeithVH

So I get the argument of better to have construction than not at all. I'm glad, maybe I'll go back in 6-7 years (I'm busy cruising).

BUT.

What I also see here is a lot of sentiment that, even though operations are severely impacted in some cases, there is a much reduced experience in several cases, customer SAT is going to be affected in a lot of ways, AND NO ACCOMMODATION has been made to offset these factors (like some reduced pricing), many would be (and happily are) going to the parks anyway. So many of you are happy to (and accept) paying the same (or more as we get into summer) for less of a return.

WOW.

Either Disney Marketing has done an unbelievable job in managing consumer perceptions or the discerning consumer is no longer a thing when it comes to Disney. Park goers will lap up whatever crumbs the company decides to throw to them.

eliza61nyc

BUT.

What I also see here is a lot of sentiment that, even though operations are severely impacted in some cases, there is a much reduced experience in several cases, customer SAT is going to be affected in a lot of ways, AND NO ACCOMMODATION has been made to offset these factors (like some reduced pricing), many would be (and happily are) going to the parks anyway. So many of you are happy to (and accept) paying the same (or more as we get into summer) for less of a return.

WOW.

Either Disney Marketing has done an unbelievable job in managing consumer perceptions or the discerning consumer is no longer a thing when it comes to Disney. Park goers will lap up whatever crumbs the company decides to throw to them.

I really would not say folks are "happy" about it. lol, it's not the first time I've been stuck in a hotel during major renovations. Yes it sucks.
here's the thing. 1) Disney does try to make public when rides are down or being refurbished so this is one of those times where folks may have to decided whether they want to go or not.
2) Yes I do have to accept it. while in the movies the fairy godmother can wave a wand and stuff gets done, in real life it takes a bit more. If I want to go and see new stuff, then yes I have to accept that construction is going to be a part of that.

Now there is a whole lot of real estate between "crumbs" thrown at me and someone managing me. I'm returning in April for a girls trip with 3 of my best friends. WE know there is construction going on in HS so guess what, we don't plan on going there. We have plans on doing the AK wild african trek, we'll do Epcot.

Also how do you measure "return"? evidently you measure it by the number of rides or parks you can visit. I measure it a bit differently and veryeasily. did we have a great time, eat great food, enjoy the hotel, enjoy the rides, If we did than my return was 100% on the money I spent because that is the point of my vacations.

But I will tell you I always do a trip report and I do promise I will give my honest opinion on the trip. stay tuned

Last edited:

mj2v

Having lived within 10 minutes of being on property since 1994, I can tell you that, yes, the amount of work being done at one time is unprecedented. Even including the construction of Animal Kingdom, there has been nothing like it. All over property. Off property as well.

With that said, should it negatively impact your vacation? Absolutely not. You are fully aware of the construction and with the right attitude, will have a great time

KeithVH

I really would not say folks are "happy" about it. <SNIP>

Also how do you measure "return"? evidently you measure it by the number of rides or parks you can visit. <SNIP> stay tuned

Actually, DW and I are very content sometimes not even going to a park. But we stay club level too and use the resorts for all their worth. But when I do go, I have a ruler by which to measure - a crap load of experiences going back to 1977. Let's even reduce that and say pick any park in the range between early 90's and mid 2000's. I don't care who is holding the yardstick, I can't believe anyone can claim current park experiences match those from the earlier time periods.

But I will admit - I'm definitely in the declining by degrees camp so my jaundiced view is a little skewed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom