Too much money and not worth it..

pluto77

The price of food is high, but honestly, as someone else has mentioned, it’s not really any higher than most other theme parks and other special activities. Some places I even find to be even more expensive than Disney. Our local theatre district, for example, charges $5 for 1 20 oz bottle. I think the quality and diversity of Disney’s food is very good for a theme park. I’ve actually heard people complain about how it can be tough to find standard theme park food (burgers & fries, etc...) at Disney. This is especially true at Epcot and Animal Kingdom.

I’m not sure why the “frivolous” ad ons are obnoxious to you. You either do them or you don’t. Most of theI’m guessing that the majority of people don’t, but they are there for people that want that extra experience. I don’t see a problem with that. Same with merchandise. How is it a trap? They don’t force you to buy something before leaving each store. I know it may seem strange, but, for some people, shopping (or browsing) all the different shops is part of the experience. Some people like having that little (or big) souvenir to remind them of their trip. I’ve actually noticed other theme and amusement parks following Disney’s lead and having you exit their rides straight into gift shops. Anyway, I don’t think it’s right to judge how other people are spending their money, especially knowing nothing about them. We all have different tastes. For a lot of people, it’s their once in a lifetime trip. One could argue that taking a vacation purely for leisure could be considered frivolous in the first place.

As for the customer service, sure, some may be faking it, but what customer service job do you know of where nobody ever fakes a smile? I don’t know if any place where the customers are perfect and the workers are always genuinely happy.

Minnesota disney fan

Oh wow- you guys have been to some amazing spots! Minnesota during the summer and Toronto hiking is high on my bucket list...

Thanks for sharing your costs.
Minnesota during the summer is amazing with great weather, lots of opportunities to explore the outdoors. I know, because we had a resort in Northern Mn. for 19 years and got to experience those wonderful summers. Hope you get a chance to go. Don't miss out on experiencing the North Shore of Lake Superior. It is a wild, beautiful place.

Willmark

To the OP: Disney is too much money, as to the second part it’s up to each person.

Im leaning towards the not worth it side these days.

parkerthebarker

Original Poster
Your allergies do not negate the fact there are options.

And no, it’s not about “if you search deeply,” just if you look at all.

My examples were just a few of my favorites off the top of my head - from two different parks and two resorts. I’m sure there are plenty more for various tastes.

So if you had posted here before your trip, you could have benefited from the experience of others, rather than rely on trial and error and then go out of your way to sign up and complain. You want a great chicken sandwich for under $14? I got one for ya. Nine bucks. Sorry, they’re not going to put food from the French pavilion at every QS.

But if your frame of reference is thinking a $1.99 burger from Wendy’s is a viable meal and $22 a plate for dinner is high, then your reaction to Disney is not surprising.

Bottom line it's all vastly overpriced. For the average family going, they should be ashamed. You can't argue that. lol at your Wendy's comment...I do not think Wendy's is viable- we don't eat fast food but rarely. But comparing the flavors from what everyone ordered, Wendy's seemed like fine dining. It seems you are very offended by this, I apologize.

My main point of the post wasn't just the food. It was an overall impression that people save and save for these trips. And judging from everyone's stress levels and overall look of discomfort- I asked myself "is this justified?" Seems like a lot of pressure, I don't know. And I came here for insight. Again, sorry if you are offended! :)

Very unpopular opinion I know.

I have been to the park several times growing up, and twice as an adult. This past trip was my first time experiencing it as a family.

We stayed at a resort, planned fast passes, rode on all the rides we wanted to. Everyone told us the food was overpriced, but we were still utterly shocked. It's offensive that Disney charges what they do for low quality subpar food. We navigated the trip with a budget in mind. Skipped the frivolous (obnoxiously prices add ons) like the princess makeup makeover, park hopper option, mickeys halloween parade, souvenirs. Our total before flights was $1700- 5 nights at a resort and 3 days in the park, not including food. I understand that may be cheap compared to what others spend...

The "buy buy buy" mentality is so in your face. And people everywhere fall into the traps. My jaw dropped when people buzz around these gift stores, spending ungodly amounts of cash on Disney merchandise. And for what?! Also, some people love the customer service...I honestly just felt bad for the workers. It was a forced happy, and the stuff they have to deal with is crazy. I came across some of the rudest, most entitled people in the park. When a family would bump into others and say "I'm so sorry" or tell their kids "be aware of your surroundings!" it was so refreshing.. but rare.

And don't get me wrong- I love Disney movies, music etc. Its total nostalgia for me. But I found it too overstimulating and a lot of work, as did our oldest.
Hitting the pause button on Disney for a very long time!

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Also, do you go every year or mix in trips to other places? And how much do you spend on average (all in)? Curiosity has gotten the best of me.
Ultimately, after reviewing the comments, input from others which may point out changes you could make Disney visits more affordable, it comes down to consumer choice. Maybe Disney trips simply are not worth it to you. There is absolutely nothing wrong to coming to this conclusion.

parkerthebarker

Original Poster
In the big merchandise shop in Japan at Epcot there are white pearl necklaces in a glass case that sell for 15k a piece. Now that's something I don't see often not just in Disney but anywhere else. I asked the CM and she told me. She also said divers have to go deep off the coast of Japan to find these pearls.
Holy God, that's insane!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The problem with the food is the prices. At least for me, when I have a good meal, I still feel it wasn't really worth it. When you pay prices, not just above average, lightyears more expensive than average. You expect a lot more from a quality standpoint. I totally get and agree with all the complaints people have with the food. My epifony moment was on our last trip. We spent a week in Estero beach and ate at a seafood place on the beach. We then spent 3 days at the poly. On arrival, we ate at captain cooks while waiting for our room. Food for 3 of us cost more than our sit down dinner for 4 at the beach.
yep
Well, there you go.

I feel like you’re trying to pick a fight on this one...why?

Explain how to eat where value even comes remotely close to cost? I’m all ears (pun intended)

parkerthebarker

Original Poster
Ultimately, after reviewing the comments, input from others which may point out changes you could make Disney visits more affordable, it comes down to consumer choice. Maybe Disney trips simply are not worth it to you. There is absolutely nothing wrong to coming to this conclusion.
100% agree. I guess they aren't. We made it affordable- skipped out on the frivolous things. We could have afforded to spend more, but was strongly against it. Again, we got to do everything we wanted to. Rode on all the rides. Saw the shows. But we all left thinking "it wasn't worth the planning, money or time?

parkerthebarker

Original Poster
Minnesota during the summer is amazing with great weather, lots of opportunities to explore the outdoors. I know, because we had a resort in Northern Mn. for 19 years and got to experience those wonderful summers. Hope you get a chance to go. Don't miss out on experiencing the North Shore of Lake Superior. It is a wild, beautiful place.
Oh lucky you! Will keep that in mind- thanks for the rec :)

parkerthebarker

Original Poster
The price of food is high, but honestly, as someone else has mentioned, it’s not really any higher than most other theme parks and other special activities. Some places I even find to be even more expensive than Disney. Our local theatre district, for example, charges $5 for 1 20 oz bottle. I think the quality and diversity of Disney’s food is very good for a theme park. I’ve actually heard people complain about how it can be tough to find standard theme park food (burgers & fries, etc...) at Disney. This is especially true at Epcot and Animal Kingdom.

I’m not sure why the “frivolous” ad ons are obnoxious to you. You either do them or you don’t. Most of theI’m guessing that the majority of people don’t, but they are there for people that want that extra experience. I don’t see a problem with that. Same with merchandise. How is it a trap? They don’t force you to buy something before leaving each store. I know it may seem strange, but, for some people, shopping (or browsing) all the different shops is part of the experience. Some people like having that little (or big) souvenir to remind them of their trip. I’ve actually noticed other theme and amusement parks following Disney’s lead and having you exit their rides straight into gift shops. Anyway, I don’t think it’s right to judge how other people are spending their money, especially knowing nothing about them. We all have different tastes. For a lot of people, it’s their once in a lifetime trip. One could argue that taking a vacation purely for leisure could be considered frivolous in the first place.

As for the customer service, sure, some may be faking it, but what customer service job do you know of where nobody ever fakes a smile? I don’t know if any place where the customers are perfect and the workers are always genuinely happy.
Good points- thanks for your insight!

parkerthebarker

Original Poster
You have told us absolutely nothing.
Unless you specify which resort and which level of room and the pricing, you said nothing about the conversation regarding "too much money and not worth it".
It had nothing to do with room or resort quality. We stayed at The All Star Movies Resort- had no issues with that aspect. In general, we will not spend a ton on hotels. I'd rather spend money on other things! IF we ever went back, we would stay there again.

parkerthebarker

Original Poster
To the OP, sorry your trip didn’t meet your expectations. That’s always a bummer, regardless of where you or how much you spend.

Up until this year, my family of 3 has gone twice a year for the last decade. We travel to other destinations too. Travel is important to us and is a line item on our budget. We didn’t go to Disney this year bc life circumstances have changed. My kiddo started high school this. Along with it came a higher tuition (private, not public), sports schedule, and more rigid schedule. My parent has cancer and lives several hundreds of miles from me. So right now, all of my travel goes to visit him.

Disney is expensive, but I am finding all the others places I travel to be going up in price too. We average about $5-6,000 on a Disney trip, including airfare and everything else. Sometimes a bit more and sometimes a bit less. Trips range from 5-14 days, but budget doesn’t change that much (however what we do changes). We always rent a car, eat at both parks and off property, and aren’t into a lot of souvenirs. We also go to Target and load up on breakfast food, snacks and supplies. We value accommodations and experiences. Some of those experiences include up charged events. We love Wild Africa Trek and have done it several times. We liked having a private fireworks cruise at Epcot. I pay for the “clamshell” at TL because I love to watch the wave pool and I don’t want to have to search for a place to sit.

My family loves Disney and we do find value in it. We like our park days and the ones where we explore the resort and lounge at pool. We enjoy Disney and find value in going there because we make great memories. I hope your family made some great memories on your trip, despite its shortcomings.
I'm happy to hear you find value in it! I'm so sorry to hear about you parent, I'm sure that's not easy. Hopefully you guys find yourselves back at the park soon *heart*

parkerthebarker

Original Poster
Disney prices most definitely have gotten out of control. We buy less and less stuff at the parks with each trip; so much so that we got a couple of T-shirts and a bubble wand on the last trip and that's it. With the upcoming trip I suspect we'll be buying even less. Food is a bit of a... Requirement, but we'll be keeping that in check too. We used to do a couple of ADRs per day; we're down to one and will likely cut some here and there. Then there's the cost of entry. I resorted to buying 14-day Ultimate Tickets from the UK when even Underground Tourist and the like were too much. Between the cost breakdown for our ten day trip and the (then) excellent exchange rate, it was a no-brainer.

I suspect it will be quite a few years before we go again - certainly not before all the construction dies down.
Agree! The construction was quite crazy while we were there..

Editor516

Everything was well planned. We got to do everything we wanted to. It just didn't seem justified. I don't want to have to do that much research to not spend $14 for a sandwich! The point is- why is it that expensive? It doesn't seem justified. And yes, I understand profits...but that turns me off even more.

We could have afforded to spend more, but at the end of the day I didn't want to. I would rather have a nice sit down meal with my husband, alone- no kids. The amount we spent on food was probably how much we spend in a month. And unless there is a magical place I didn't know about, we went to places that most people go to in the parks. Average priced food.

It's not just a matter of staying out of the shops. You get off a ride, and you end up in one. Luckily our kids aren't the type to ask for things, otherwise what a nightmare.

I don't fault Disney World for the rude guests. I felt bad for the workers having to deal with them. I was legitimately shocked though. I was waiting in a line for about 10 minutes for a cup of fruit, and a person on a motorized scooter rolled over my foot, and zoomed to the cashier- cutting the entire line.

We had a lot of fun family moments, ones that I'm thankful for. Live and learn I suppose. Next year we are heading to a small coastal town in Oregon. I have a feeling that will better suit us oddballs haha. :)
To the OP...
I guess I’d start by asking how often you’ve gone to any larger amusement park. I’m not too far from Hersheypark in Pennsylvania and the prices there are what I would consider high. Admission, parking, quick service food... it’s all very, very expensive compared to what it used to be. I think many of a certain age would say it’s too expensive for what you get.

Also, from what I’ve experienced, other parks have learned from Disney and now dump you into a gift shop after a ride. Disney changed the game, and Disney re-set expectations for amusement parks, and now other parks responded by aping Disney.

Sorry you had a bad experience. Hopefully your next trip will be better.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Bottom line it's all vastly overpriced. For the average family going, they should be ashamed. You can't argue that. lol at your Wendy's comment...I do not think Wendy's is viable- we don't eat fast food but rarely. But comparing the flavors from what everyone ordered, Wendy's seemed like fine dining. It seems you are very offended by this, I apologize.

My main point of the post wasn't just the food. It was an overall impression that people save and save for these trips. And judging from everyone's stress levels and overall look of discomfort- I asked myself "is this justified?" Seems like a lot of pressure, I don't know. And I came here for insight. Again, sorry if you are offended! :)

It's overpriced for your sensibilities/valuation. The factors that made you reach this opinion are yours and not necessarily applicable to anyone else. Expecting validation from a random Disney Fan board is irrelevant.

Editor516

I've never been much for souvenirs but I do buy T-shirts that I wear everyday since my retirement. I spent an hour and a half in World of Disney on my last trip, wandering around, waiting for my sister to show up and found nothing at all that interested me much less made me willing to spend that much money for it. Since I do stay offsite (on I-drive this time) I wandered off to 192 to my favorite gift shop and bought one Disney T and one Orlando T and that was that. More a clothing purchase then a souvenir. Sort of a multi-tasker. On Disney property that same Disney T was $28.00, in the gift shop $14. Walmart and Targets in Orlando and Kissimmee all carry them. Real official Disney T's.
Last time I was there, UNIQLO in Disney Springs was the place to get really inexpensive T-shirts. Just be aware they’re for ... uhhh... smaller folks since it’s a Japanese store. I rarely find anything large enough for my admittedly large American frame.

UNCgolf

I'll say it again -- their table service prices are, on average, basically in line with what you'd pay for a meal at a decent restaurant in any large city. They're more expensive than something like Applebee's, sure, but there's a quality difference there (even the Disney restaurants that aren't good are, at the very least, not anywhere near as terrible for you as somewhere like Applebee's).

Disney does a lot of things wrong these days and overcharges quite a lot (paying for parking at the hotels?), but the food prices (and most of the hotel room prices, actually) are generally where they should be based on my experience. The real problem is that the food quality varies from restaurant to restaurant, so sometimes you're getting exactly what you paid for (or even getting it for less than it's worth) and other times you're overpaying. Tony's Town Square is a prime example -- the food prices are in line with my expectations for a decent Italian meal, the restaurant just fails to provide a decent Italian meal because the quality is lacking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom