Ton Newton - Out

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
There’s copious evidence and discussion of the uncertain media environment. As to which studio is navigating it best, I’d have to hear your counter proposal. For instance, Sony has Spider-Verse, but is about to take a bath on Kraven and has No Hard Feelings and 65 underperforming. I won’t run through every studio, but I’ll consider your argument.
Raw Box office numbers are not a good barometer of success or failure. Disney is in a unique position because of its size compared to the competition. Unless you take the individual components and compare them to their direct competitors (eg D+ vs Netflix) then you don't get a complete picture of the overall competitive environment and how well they are handling it overall compared to their competition.

Looking at the Disney Studios, the primary problem Disney seems to be having is that their productions are WAY too expensive. Even though successful productions like GOTG V3 make a lot at the box office, they still don't give Disney a great return on their investment.

Super Mario Brothers effectively cost 40% of GOTG V3 and went on to make the studio back multiple times their investment.

People want to see movies, Mario Brothers and Minions and GOTG show that there is an appetite for it. However one of those three cost significantly more to make and made less money overall for the studio.

Disney's main challenge is cutting the costs from their production but maintaining the quality, it is unrealistic to expect every movie they put out which costs them $250M+ to make money. It certainly also doesn't help that Disney, specifically, is seemingly no longer capable of successfully putting out mass-market movies. I mean this weekend Lucasfilm's string of failure will continue with Indy 5. It takes a whole level of incompetence to ruin Indy even worse that what they did with Indy 4 (which amazingly was still profitable). But Indy 5 is on track to be one of the worst disasters for a Disney tentpole in quite a while.

Last edited:

Lilofan

They are. You want a metric for their failure, look at the stock price. Down 27% from the 2023 high. Down 65% from its all time high.

When the Wall Street rats jump ship, it is failure in every possible way.
And still Iger is in charge and asked to come back after Chapek got fired which he did. Prior to Chapek getting the role Iger tried to retire several times and the Board convinced him to stay.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
And still Iger is in charge and asked to come back after Chapek got fired which he did. Prior to Chapek getting the role Iger tried to retire several times and the Board convinced him to stay.
Yes the board "convinced" Iger to stay.....

Iger's only hope for redemption is that someone buys them out. That way Iger can satisfy his ego and ride off into the sunset a hero.

Vegas Disney Fan

Various reports and sites online:
“Disney movies aren’t doing well”

Those who are blinded by pixie dust:
“the numbers are wrong! It has nothing to do with X! Other studios are failing! Avatar 2!” etc

Those who aren’t blind:
“Disney movies aren’t doing well”

To be fair it’s the extent of “how bad” they’re doing and the “why” which are usually debated, there’s a few people arguing “success” based on quality and social significance but other than that everyone seems to agree the financials aren’t great, they just argue the why.

I’m a park pixie duster (for the most part) but really down on the studios right now, I don’t think anyone is arguing Disney movies are doing well right now.

TalkingHead

There’s copious evidence and discussion of the uncertain media environment. As to which studio is navigating it best, I’d have to hear your counter proposal. For instance, Sony has Spider-Verse, but is about to take a bath on Kraven and has No Hard Feelings and 65 underperforming. I won’t run through every studio, but I’ll consider your argument.
No Hard Feelings was also mid-budget, and had a solid opening weekend.

65 sat on the shelf for years so who even knows when how its expenses were handled. It also wasn’t a $200m risk.

So, it does seem like Sony’s in a better spot than Disney. Not to mention they’re not frazzled by trying to balance a streaming service with theatrical business.

Indy_UK

I’m sorry but people can’t believe that anymore. Iger didn’t want to leave, he just constantly wants to feel wanted to inflate his ego.

CaptainAmerica

Also, the claim “the numbers aren’t biased,” is one of the most common mistakes in choosing sources. Numbers can be cherry-picked and framed in ways to give any number of different impressions. What’s more, if you don’t trust a source, you’re going to have to go back and check the source they cite for each number.
The only cherry picking in the numbers was that The Way of Water was excluded.

The Way of Water was excluded because the Avatar profit-sharing arrangement was the result of an opaque deal between Fox and Lightstorm Entertainment that predated the acquisition by Disney and nobody really knows what it is. Therefore, there's no way for anyone to know how profitable the movie was from Disney's perspective.

CaptainAmerica

That’s what happens when a source gets a reputation as garbage or biased. People don’t want to support it by clicking on it to see whether this one time is different.
Valliant Renegade has never been a garbage source when it comes to his reporting of facts. He doesn't lie about the numbers, he just has opinions that you don't like. Those aren't the same thing.

Cycling some guy on YouTube through multiple different outlets in multiple different media, each amplifying the other.
Dude the "guy on YouTube" literally sourced his data from mainstream outlets that cover the movie business like Deadline, Variety, The Hollywood Reporter, The Numbers, Box Office Mojo, and elsewhere. He didn't make anything up, he literally just summarized what's out there and publicly available.

Honest to God, you could be standing in a field of green grass, reading a New York Times article about how grass is green, and then if Donald Trump said "this grass is green," you'd start arguing about how it can't possibly be green.

Saying, "this source is garbage so its numbers don't matter" is a rhetorical fallacy.
Yes, it's a type of ad hominem fallacy called Bulverism.

1687976080387.png

CaptainAmerica

I wonder why that is.
Because negative partisanship is strong and critical thinking skills and general intelligence are weak?

Credibility is easily lost and very difficult to regain.
That's not how "credibility" works.

If someone makes a claim of A, and you don't find that person credible, you're free to discount their testimony as evidence of A.

You cannot treat their testimony as evidence of Not-A. You also can't use their claim to discount other, unrelated sources of evidence that all support A.

If it's August in Jacksonville and you look out the window and you see a dog panting and an ice cube melting, then someone you don't trust says "it's hot outside," you still know it's hot outside no matter how uncredible you find the person saying so.

Last edited:

Indy_UK

So he said it but didn't really mean it? On the other end, I don't see a list if any of external candidates vying for the Disney CEO role.

He probably would have gone if he felt it was worth running for president at the time but other than that, Disney was throwing money at him through performance bonus’ on top of his salary because of the stock at the time.

He abruptly put Chapek in charge because he saw the S***t storm coming with Covid but again, never really left but instead stayed in Burbank slagging off Chapek behind his back knowing full well he would be asked to come back at some point

Chapek gets bulk of the blame (and rightfully so too as he was also to blame) and comes strolling back in like the white knight he thinks he is.

ElvisMickey

Iger is the ONLY reason why this company is in the state that it’s in. Anyone who disagrees has zero knowledge of this company‘s past or business sense in general. Yeah, Chapek was a nerd, but at least he was looking to turn the ship in the right direction.

Lilofan

Iger is the ONLY reason why this company is in the state that it’s in. Anyone who disagrees has zero knowledge of this company‘s past or business sense in general. Yeah, Chapek was a nerd, but at least he was looking to turn the ship in the right direction.
And the Board that keeps supporting him

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom